General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Was looking through all the staffs part of the CSA and I wonder how many of them have been in the system for a decade or more... Feel like some should step down if they've been there for so long and bring in new and fresher minds. Especially those ready to push the game higher within Canada and beyond Canada. Obviously CPL is a start, but more emphasis in creating a united Soccer culture in Canada. Also new minds to perhaps take more advantage of the type of media our world has today... 

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I agree. I believe he’s more a manager in terms of booking travel, coordinating with facilities and such.

In the  globe and mail in2003 they say he is the head of communication 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/sports/sportnet-to-follow-canadian-womens-world-cup-soccer-quest/article772359/

and when de Guzman was pissed at the CSA in 2009 he was to asked Comment. 

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.789164

his profile from CSA website 

https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=2638&t=profile&

Agree with above. Have chatted with at length a few times. Morgan does logistics. Doesn’t have anything to do with the technical side other than contacting clubs to request releases for players the coaches want for matches.  Until a few months ago I think Les Meszeros did the same thing for the youth teams. Not a “GM” like in the hockey or baseball sense. Still, Morgan is probably the most well connected CSA staffer but gets his marching orders from coaches and CSA brass (budget etc) 

2 hours ago, badname22 said:

aside from hoilett and davies, who is our best right midfielder? 

I would say Davies is primarily left midfield. Hoilett is comfortable on either side and has actually played primarily on the left in his club career, even though he is right footed.

If we play with three attacking midfielders they are likely to come from Davies, Arfield, Osorio, Hoilett, so the right side is likely to be Hoilett or Osorio.

Also in the mix for right attacking midfield: Ricketts, Petrasso, and now Wotherspoon.

Edited by dsqpr

With  MAK's development moving in an upward trajectory, Osorio playing like a star midfielder, Piette continuing to improve in the destroyer role, Arfield and Atiba providing  veteran leadership and big game experience, it seems to me that we need to use a midfield heavy formation. Our other position of strength and depth is wingers with Hoilett, Davies, Millar, Edwards, Aird. Akindele, Ricketts and possibly Cordova. Our striker position is also strong with Cav, Larin and AJH. Our weakest position is CB. This would appear to rule out a 3-5-2 formation in favour of a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-4-2 ?

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

3-2-3-2 like we did under Holger.

That would play to many of our strengths except in def, where we might be challenged fielding 3 strong defenders.  Piette and Hutch as the def mids.  Hoilett, Arfield, and Davies as the attacking mids, and both Cav and Larin up front as many of us have been calling for.  That is a bunch of our best players accommodated in that formation, and a set up that would cause lots of teams to concede against us.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would play to many of our strengths except in def, where we might be challenged fielding 3 strong defenders.  Piette and Hutch as the def mids.  Hoilett, Arfield, and Davies as the attacking mids, and both Cav and Larin up front as many of us have been calling for.  That is a bunch of our best players accommodated in that formation, and a set up that would cause lots of teams to concede against us.

Yeah it's a balls to the wall type formation. Maybe stick de Jong at LCB or something to get the best XI out there? We'd get hit hard though, lots of 3 or 4 goal games...

54 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yeah it's a balls to the wall type formation. Maybe stick de Jong at LCB or something to get the best XI out there? We'd get hit hard though, lots of 3 or 4 goal games...

It would be interesting though. 2 CDM's to help out on def, and a lot of guys to press high and try to keep them from going forward too aggressively.   Would be fun to try once though.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

3-2-3-2 like we did under Holger.

------------------MB-------------------

--------(X)-----DJ-----SV----------

-----------AH---------SP------------

---JH----SA/JO-----AD/JO----

---------CL-----------LC-------------

BOOM!!!

(X) = EG/MJ/DH/MK/AS... whoever stamps their name on it first. Or MD could replace the left sided defender and the back line could look like ---------DJ----SV----MD-------

WJ, MAK or RT could also replace SP in the formation and eventually Hutch when he retires.

So yeah, overall I like it! Plays to our strengths!

The 3-2-3-2 would be a good use of our talent and cover up some of our deficiencies.  Gives us 5 attacking players potentially (Cav, Cyle, Junior, Oso, Millar, Davies, Arfield, ...) and let’s us play Atiba, Piette together to protect the three at the back.  Put three back who are good in the air   and if we could deal with the crosses it just might work.

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

------------------MB-------------------

--------(X)-----DJ-----SV----------

-----------AH---------SP------------

---JH----SA/JO-----AD/JO----

---------CL-----------LC-------------

BOOM!!!

(X) = EG/MJ/DH/MK/AS... whoever stamps their name on it first. Or MD could replace the left sided defender and the back line could look like ---------DJ----SV----MD-------

WJ, MAK or RT could also replace SP in the formation and eventually Hutch when he retires.

So yeah, overall I like it! Plays to our strengths!

That team would get absolutely crucified down the wings. You can't make the RB problem go away by simply not playing one!!

With that formation, your back 3 needs to consist of 2 real full backs and a top notch and very mobile CB. Which is why it would not work for us.

A good defensive formation is 4231, which would have the benefit of getting our two very strong DMs onto the pitch but the drawback of leaving some of our attacking talent on the bench. But that is always likely to be a drawback of a defensive formation.

16 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

I'm assuming EG is David Edgar, AS is Sam Adekugbe and MK you mean Michael Petrasso?... I guess just some typos? 

MK = Masta Kacher, MJ = Manjraker James, AS = Adam Straith, DH = Doniel Henry. As for the other, EG, I’m not sure. @A_Gagne help us out!

Edited by BuzzAndSting