General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Happy with Biello. Thought he had a good upside and certainly has decent knowledge and experience.  

I wasn't really around for the first interim Miller stint but i thought he was thought of as an excellent coach and mind. Just not best manager material. Canadian Schteevie McLaren? Or am I out to lunch and he was thought of as just all round shite?

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Happy with Biello. Thought he had a good upside and certainly has decent knowledge and experience.  

I wasn't really around for the first interim Miller stint but i thought he was thought of as an excellent coach and mind. Just not best manager material. Canadian Schteevie McLaren? Or am I out to lunch and he was thought of as just all round shite?

Out to lunch and he’s all around shit! He’s just another CSA ass kisser. 

Edited by SpecialK

Well he started to make his move public and I'm good with Biello joining his staff. Also I read Sandor's article and seems like Herdman is putting a good plan together plus pushing to get his Canadian players playing somewhere depending on their situation. Just would like to know what style of play Herdman will go for with CMNT. Again I will like to post that I would like for him to build upon the attacking game OZ brought to CMNT and improve defense set up.

I am excited to see how Herdman plans out the Canadian soccer system from youth to CMNT... hope it goes great for a brighter future...

Edited by Scorpion26

25 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Out to lunch and he’s all around shit! He’s just another CSA ass kisser. 

Yup. We were pathetic at the 2013 GC under him.

I attended the FCE- San Fran match this summer and watching Edmonton try to tie the match over the last 15 minutes was painful. A steady stream of long balls from the backline to the lone forward with a couple of high crosses into the box thrown in.

John Herdman article from MLS...

What are some thoughts on this article?

As I previously stated that he needs to be given his chance and as fans we should wait the year before going bunkers on the coach. He will have a lot of climbing to do with many fans no doubt and for sure will be needed after how things went down left a sour taste to many fans. I want to see how he does with this team and again hoping he builds upon OZ work with the team and continue with the attacking style while working on bringing in new defensive group that will be for the future. Also will see how he works with CPL most important, but as well with MLS/USL clubs. 

Edited by Scorpion26

In the MLS on opening weekend we saw five Canadian center mids start: Johnson, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, and Tiebert. All of them (except perhaps Johnson) had very good showings with both Kaye and Tiebert getting second assists. Add in Hutchinson and Arfield and all of a sudden it seems like Canada has a ton of depth at midfield...

I really hope this sort of play continues from our MLS guys. It is going to be very difficult for Herdman to decide who to bring to camp and play for each game. It is a great problem to have. What do you guys see happening? Do you think we rotate our midfielders from camp to camp depending on who we are playing? Or do we rely heavily on a select few of them?

9 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

In the MLS on opening weekend we saw five Canadian center mids start: Johnson, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, and Tiebert. All of them (except perhaps Johnson) had very good showings with both Kaye and Tiebert getting second assists. Add in Hutchinson and Arfield and all of a sudden it seems like Canada has a ton of depth at midfield...

I really hope this sort of play continues from our MLS guys. It is going to be very difficult for Herdman to decide who to bring to camp and play for each game. It is a great problem to have. What do you guys see happening? Do you think we rotate our midfielders from camp to camp depending on who we are playing? Or do we rely heavily on a select few of them?

You don't have depth until your depth actually produces results at international level when it counts.

What I see happening under Herdman is an emphasis on  younger guys (21, 22) getting pushed up in some fashion as we build towards the 2019 Gold Cup, regardless of their club situations.  If they fit what Herdman is looking for, they'll be in the camp. 

The biggest problem in our program was the lack of guys pushing for starting spots so any time we get competition for places, that's huge.  

29 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I think we should rotate on the basis of who we are playing and how regularly they are playing...And absolutely agree with the assessment of great problem to have (midfield depth)...We are in unknown territory all of a sudden, lmfao...Certainly something unseen/unheard of past iterations of the CANMNT plus most are at a good age and just about their prime now save for the two vets (namely Atiba, hahaha) 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Impressed again with Kaye. Big, athletic presence in the holding mid position. Good passing (with the exception of one horrific pass into the middle of the field). This guy will give Piette and Teibert competition for that starting role as Canada's number one holding mid. Good to see. 

38 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Impressed again with Kaye. Big, athletic presence in the holding mid position. Good passing (with the exception of one horrific pass into the middle of the field). This guy will give Piette and Teibert competition for that starting role as Canada's number one holding mid. Good to see. 

I was surprised the Caps didn't make a play for him because he's a Robbo type of player:  big time athlete with a good work rate.  And, with his stint at LB in the Jamaica friendly, has some of that coveted utility quality about him.  He can't be on that big of coin and would have saved an international spot.

Glad he's had a good first game but he'll need to improve upon his shortcomings (which you could see during the GC) and he'll have some bumps in the road to overcome this season.

• 2 weeks later...

USA friendly in May...

They got a series of games between May and mainly June...

Was wondering if CMNT have more friendlies in the future as well?

I went on the site and I can see the ladies have at least two game set for their team. While the men's got this game.

One thing I do hope Herdman does is more games especially if you gonna blood in the new players in CMNT set up and same for the youth teams more games/tourneys for them.

Also getting amp up for coming game will be interesting to see the formation and style of play with Herdman at the helm of CMNT. 

**Also this is before the NL thing starts**

Edited by Scorpion26

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian Soccer Business

It's an interesting article and hopefully this will help promote soccer to higher level within Canada plus globally. 

This should hopefully help CMNT/WMNT gain more fans in Canada and bring in more money to game via endorsements and more home games... Help bring more visibility to Canada soccer nation...

Also maybe with this set up might get more games for Canada soccer all levels men and women...

3 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Canadian Soccer Business

It's an interesting article and hopefully this will help promote soccer to higher level within Canada plus globally. 

This should hopefully help CMNT/WMNT gain more fans in Canada and bring in more money to game via endorsements and more home games... Help bring more visibility to Canada soccer nation...

Also maybe with this set up might get more games for Canada soccer all levels men and women...

I created a separate thread for this:

22 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I created a separate thread for this:

Alright cool

Tonight Chapman got to play at least 30mins and good to see him get a run out there...

Just hope he gets his chance this year and get more pt with TFC which will help perhaps get noticed for more call ups with CMNT...

Edited by Scorpion26

41 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

US interviewing for GM

Here's my question...

Should CSA consider creating a similar GM position for the CMNT/CWNT and youth teams perhaps as well?

Does anyone know, if other countries have some sort of a GM set up or similar to that GM set up?

I know England has Director of Football Development, "a role which gave him total of control of coaching and development in English football, as well as a role in appointing future England managers"  and that person is Sir Trevor Brooking

i don't know about others, some have  technical directors. 

Who is Morgan Quarry? And what's his official role ? Because he's listed as general manager, also I believe he was the one in the suit on the bench at the New Zealand game. 

16 hours ago, Zem said:

As SpecialK mentioned, we already have one, Morgan Quarry has been GM of the CMNT for over 18 years now.

That's just crazy for 18 years the same mind... Damn that has to change come on CSA got to move on and get someone else. I think at most someone should serve two terms of 4 years. 

18 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

I have met Morgan before. At the time (2001) he seemed to be in a logistics and organizational position, helping me arrange ticketing and access to meet with the team in Cairo. I don't feel like he is in our "technical director" type role.

I agree. I believe he’s more a manager in terms of booking travel, coordinating with facilities and such.