General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

10 hours ago, gigi riva said:

As crazy as this may sound maybe that has been a good thing for us . Until Tuesday all of our matches have been played on foreign soil against some very good oppostion, in some very hostile territories where we were outnumbered in support  almost 10 to 1 , if that doesnt toughen you up , Ido not know what does

I know it is unfortunate from a fan perspective but there is no doubt in my mind that this has made us stronger (and the US more fragile). Them getting home field advantage every Gold Cup or for most friendlies has lulled them into a false sense of security and instilled an overconfidence in where they sit on the global footy hierarchy (along with inflating their rankings.  

Conversely, we have had to fight the vast majority of our battles on foreign soil.  You learn to play without the 12th man and it makes you stronger.  

11 hours ago, gigi riva said:

As crazy as this may sound maybe that has been a good thing for us . Until Tuesday all of our matches have been played on foreign soil against some very good oppostion, in some very hostile territories where we were outnumbered in support  almost 10 to 1 , if that doesnt toughen you up , Ido not know what does

If I'm not mistaken, we have played all these 11 matches against teams higher than us in FIFA rankings at game time, and on foreign soil except the last.

In regular time (not inc penalties) we are 3 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. We've only lost to Argentina twice and Netherlands in that stretch in regular time.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

The GC starts mid June, so we are talking about the week before in the FIFA window, usually we'd want a week of lead time before our first match. 

Silly article in any case, as if the regular FIFA windows were the problem. 

The FA should start with eliminating the EFL or Carabao Cup; then maybe consider reducing the division to 18 teams like in Italy or Germany. I'd say the same in Spain, kill the SuperCup final 4 in Arabia, reduce the league size. Good they've killed the FA Cup replays for this year, so logical, though I see both Starmer and Sunak defended them as favouring the little guy and tried to leverage them for populist purposes. 

51 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I'd say something about the England friendly being at BC Place but the venue is probably already rented for a rock-paper-scissors convention or something on those dates. 

I read they're laying out real grass for a dog show, and will rip it out immediately following the show to put back the same old turf, cause they say soccer is just better on turf.

5 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Article made it sound like both matches would be in the US

Remember that for most Europeans, they don’t really make a distinction between Canada and the US for these type of things.  Even if one of the matches was scheduled in Vancouver, they probably would still refer to it as their summer US trip.

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Remember that for most Europeans, they don’t really make a distinction between Canada and the US for these type of things.  Even if one of the matches was scheduled in Vancouver, they probably would still refer to it as their summer US trip.

I know it bugs me when they dont reference Canada and just say America 

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

It sounds like grass will not be a permanent option after WC at BC place. Which makes the temporary additional WC seating at BMO so disappointing. To bring a team like England to play in Canada it requires a venue larger than 30K or ticket prices would have to be astronomical. 

It makes me sick we are hosting a World Cup and zero infrastructure legacy will be left behind. BMO should have permanently been upgraded to 40K and BC Place should have permanent grass, at minimum.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It makes me sick we are hosting a World Cup and zero infrastructure legacy will be left behind. BMO should have permanently been upgraded to 40K and BC Place should have permanent grass, at minimum.

We will have a few extra training fields.

But considering the money we are spending that is a drop in the bucket

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not only that, the practice fields required could have given us some small permanent stadiums in Van and TO, put a couple thousand seats around a place with a secure perimeter, ideal for a L1 or even a u19 match.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

BC Place was never going to have permanent grass. I'm not sure why so many people even entertained that idea.

It's as much a convention centre as it is a sports stadium, and you can't have permanent grass in a place like that (pun not intended).

4 hours ago, narduch said:

We will have a few extra training fields.

But considering the money we are spending that is a drop in the bucket

Sunnybrook Park is 1 of 2 locations re practice fields. The question is where specifically will the practice fields be located at the park....improve the existing soccer fields or the cricket field across from the field pavilion. If the latter, there's a good chance they revert back for cricket. The other issue is that City parks dept maintain the playing fields and they need constant repairs after the winter. I'm not confident  they will keep them at the same level even if they stay as soccer fields.