General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

13 hours ago, eramosat said:

My gosh...looking past today's friendly squad selection, it is getting increasingly difficult for me to even find spots for all the players that I personally demand some looks with the big squad to determine who should be playing starter minutes, then substitution minutes, and then injury minutes!

Competition at every position.  Decisions at every position.  And competitive youth at every position!

2024 decisions thus far has put the team on a path to move forward decisively, and now I am just waiting to see where the dust eventually settles.  But it's all good...very little bad.

My biggest roster hopes? (1) One...at least one...young forward starts to clearly distinguish themselves in CANMNT duty, by scoring or meshing. It is a hodge-podge right now.  (2)  CB backups.  (3) Buchanan returns.

My biggest tactical hopes? (1)  Set piece service can be sooo much better.  (2)  Finishing matches with leads should become straightforward, not dramatic.

I fully agree and we are on the verge of having our floor evolve to the next phase of call ups. This means we have the same problem of little to no depth but just as a tier 1-2 nation. 

Other than striker, we don’t really have any suitable call up’s if a starter gets injured. Davies goes down and we call up Bassong and Adekugbe starts.  Saliba for Koné. Afrifa for Buchanan. Ldf/waterman for Bombito.  

I get that before we would call up unattached fc so this is fantastic, but we need at least 1 more player in each position to take another step forward. Thankfully LB is the only position where there isn’t clearly someone who’s appearing they will take the next step. 

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

It's going to be pretty tough for the out of season MLS guys to maintain their spots a month from now, especially with a suitable replacement available. Millar for Shaffelburg, Johnston for Laryea, either Choiniere or Kone takes Osorio's minutes.

We should consider calling in Corbeanu 

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Ldf/waterman for Bombito.  

Big fall off there, at the moment, with a promising but still relatively inexperienced young pro and a guy who is basically a  place holder as the back ups.

Competition for a coveted starting spot is huge for the growth of this program.  

4 hours ago, ahmedou said:

If we get others strikers that can score 10 goals or 15 goals or 20 goals we're in business!

I think we need some goal contributions from either the midfield or the wings. It can’t just be the strikers.

Hoilett used to score once every four games, often from the bench. Davies was also scoring at a good pace when he played further up. So far, only Shaffelburg has replaced some of that output. I’d like to see a few other names on the scoresheet.

9 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I think we need some goal contributions from either the midfield or the wings. It can’t just be the strikers.

Hoilett used to score once every four games, often from the bench. Davies was also scoring at a good pace when he played further up. So far, only Shaffelburg has replaced some of that output. I’d like to see a few other names on the scoresheet.

A healthy Buchanan will hopefully change that

18 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

He only has 4 goals in 41 games. His scoring rate at the club level hasn’t been much better. I’m not sure if he can be the answer.

He’s played a lot of wingback at club level, no? Not saying his goal tally is overly impressive but I do get the feeling in a more advanced role with the CanMNT, he can be more clinical. We’ve definitely seen moments where he shows his quality in front of goal.

Edited by cronaldo7

22 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

He’s played a lot of wingback at club level, no? Not saying his goal tally is overly impressive but I do get the feeling in a more advanced role with the CanMNT, he can be more clinical. We’ve definitely seen moments where he shows his quality in front of goal.

He has scored some really nice goals. He just doesn’t seem to do it consistently enough for either club or country. He’s certainly a very exciting player, and we could have used him last night. Perhaps the goal ratio will improve as he matures.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Wingback: New England Revolution and Club Brugges

Winger: Inter

I prefer Buchanan as a left wing. At Inter they played him a left winger.

Buchanan scored beautiful goals at that position. I see Buchanan more dangerous at that position.

I'll let Ahmed as a right winger.