General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Oh I'll be there, and it will be fine. I'm just preparing for the fans who previously claimed "50k people would have shown up for that game in Vancouver" to suddenly have to defend only 20-25k showing up, while outside of Vancouver it's "that looked like 15k and that's why we can't ever go to Vancouver". We all know the cycle. 😉

Is it automatic that group stage games are double headers?

If I'm watching Canada I don't need to see Jamaica-Guatemala that same day. But if it's the day after, great, I'm into it. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is it automatic that group stage games are double headers?

If I'm watching Canada I don't need to see Jamaica-Guatemala that same day. But if it's the day after, great, I'm into it. 

I think it almost always is.

Given the infrequency with which tournaments come to the PNW I'd probably take advantage of checking out the first game as well, assuming my schedule allowed for it.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think it almost always is.

Given the infrequency with which tournaments come to the PNW I'd probably take advantage of checking out the first game as well, assuming my schedule allowed for it.

We assuming all three Canada games will be in Vancouver? That is pretty good I must say. The logic is to get the FIFA organizing people ready for 2026. 

If we get near sell-outs for Canada, depending on what time of day we play, I'll be happy. I think we'll be over 40,000 and if they sell a pack, even better.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We assuming all three Canada games will be in Vancouver? That is pretty good I must say. The logic is to get the FIFA organizing people ready for 2026. 

If we get near sell-outs for Canada, depending on what time of day we play, I'll be happy. I think we'll be over 40,000 and if they sell a pack, even better.

I would not assume we get all 3 games. Toronto never has.

@WestHamCanadianinOxford see? I'm trying to lower expectations! 😀 I do not see 40k going out for these games, unless it involves an interesting non-CONCACAF opponent.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

One rule I'd like to see is:

- Cap ties are only official after a total of 270 minutes played and not just after 3 appearances in 3 different games which it is today. 

Even if it was 90 or 180 minutes it would be drastically different than what it is now where someone can play 3 minutes across 3 games. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

One rule I'd like to see is:

- Cap ties are only official after a total of 270 minutes played and not just after 3 appearances in 3 different games which it is today. 

This seems like a pretty sensible idea but I am also cognizant of the fact that we were all celebrating the capture of guys like LdF under the current regime so it is a double edged sword.  

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Even if it was 90 or 180 minutes it would be drastically different than what it is now where someone can play 3 minutes across 3 games. 

Was going to say something similar.  3 full games worth of minutes seems high, but I could see 180 minutes (3 x a normal 60 minute appearance before tactical subs are made) or even 135 minutes (3 full halves of footy).  

In terms of the core concept, it really would change things up in a substantial way.  It would basically eliminate the "capture" aspect and really only tie up guys that are truly ready to play at the senior level.  In theory a country could use a string of friendlies to tie up some or all of a B team's worth of players (I am assuming that the impact of playing in an official competition would remain the same), but requiring a player to play substantial minutes across 3 appearances would eliminate the restriction on anyone who is slowly eased in through sub appearances - and that is a lot of younger players in the international game.  Ultimately it would make international players much more mobile early in their careers.  Whether or not that would be a good thing is still TBD.  Definitely an interesting concept though.

I can’t think of any of the bigger names who this would apply to for us. Tomori has 5 caps now, Stefan Mitrovic has 4, all official games too.

The 4 year naturalization rule would mean that Gabriele Corbo would be eligible for Canada if he stays here until Feb ‘26, making him eligible for the 2026 World Cup. Not a big get, but I prefer him to our other MLS CBs. 

If the rule is caps had to come before your 22nd birthday, I think Veselinovic would be eligible for us this second.

Edited by InglewoodJack