General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

39 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not really.

The logic for banning Russia was that it invaded a sovereign country. 

Arguments can made that oppression or human rights violations or similar could be a reason to ban a nation but that is clearly different than one nation invading another. 

But if that is the threshold why wasn't the USA banned for invading multiple countries in the middle east?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

But if that is the threshold why wasn't the USA banned for invading multiple countries in the middle east?

You would have to ask the IOC.

(Technically, whether we agree or not, the Gulf Wars were not one nation invading another, both were coalitions.)

I was just giving the reason they gave which is distinct from human rights, crimes against humanity, oppression etc. 

32 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Holy shit!  I don’t come in here for a couple of days and it’s political hot potato.  Talk about the CNMT here and take the rest of it into the Off-Topic Section.

Putting this on the latest page so people see it.

(by the way, I’m more of a political arsehole than everyone on this board combined, and I’m shutting up. 😃)

Edited by Califax

Then I wonder if our men's team ends up facing punishment too because of what happened to our women? Like the Women's team, their image now is more or less tarnished because of this scandal so I wonder if our image by extension gets affected too in any way? Because we know Marsch didn't use drones at least not to our knowledge but still

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

“The Government of Canada” weighs in - good grief. Never missing an opportunity to white knight. Yep let’s throw our women under the bus even more. The punishment is already overkill - they didn’t need to throw another log on the fire and hurt chances of an appeal. 

I agree - I wish I could articulate the point better but what the coaches did was moronic and stupid and unnecessary for the little advantage they were seeking - but the blowback is complete moronic, high handed, self righteous overkill.  

let the women play - they don’t deserve this nonsense

I am already sick of this issue so planning to give it a break for a bit (we will see…) - but this does raise the issue of just how many people get to levy penalties for the same transgression.  So far we have had some form of sanction issued by the Association, the Canadian Olympic Committee, FIFA, and now the Federal Government.    Seems like penance has been paid, no?   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am already sick of this issue so planning to give it a break for a bit (we will see…) - but this does raise the issue of just how many people get to levy penalties for the same transgression.  So far we have had some form of sanction issued by the Association, the Canadian Olympic Committee, FIFA, and now the Federal Government.    Seems like penance has been paid, no?   

The federal government now too? 

God we suck lol

I still maintain that no country on earth would go this far out of its way to destroy itself on this specific issue. 

How much longer can we use the excuse these are growing pains on the road to being a football nation? 

Okay, I'll add this in fairness: since this occured at the Olympic Games, I can understand the federal government feeling they need to address a matter which involved two members of the Olympic team getting arrested for break French law.

But, if whatever punishment extends to, or affects, the men's team, or any team not involved with the French 2024 Olympics, it will be pure clown world 🤡 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

God we suck lol

I still maintain that no country on earth would go this far out of its way to destroy itself on this specific issue. 

How much longer can we use the excuse these are growing pains on the road to being a football nation? 

Okay, I'll add this in fairness: since this occured at the Olympic Games, I can understand the federal government feeling they need to address a matter which involved two members of the Olympic team getting arrested for break French law.

But, if whatever punishment extends to, or affects, the men's team, or any team not involved with the French 2024 Olympics, it will be pure clown world 🤡 

For what little consolation its worth I am cautiously optimistic that this will be the last, worst, mess. Priestman was essentially the last person in a key position in the old days, before we had the accountability that came with visibility. Once she, anyone involved in this and anyone in among the admins who gave her go ahead or dealt with and any punishment we get served we can fully look toward the future.

1 minute ago, PegCityCam said:

Play the stupidest game, win the stupidest prizes. What did y'all think would happen by cheating at the freaking Olympics lol. 

You mean the competition that has consistently forgiven or threated with kids gloves people who have done way worse? This doesn't dimisning our guilt in the slightest and we should be punished but this idea of the Olympics as uniquely clean is just not anchored in reality.

If it was Russia wouldn't have been there for a good decade....

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

God we suck lol

If you are old enough to remember what happened after Ben Johnson returned from Seoul this should not come as surprise. A spectacular amount of navel gazing and hand wringing lies ahead which is why the CSA needs to be seen to act decisively and not take a Didier Drogba approach to what happened. Bear in mind the probable next dude in PM terms is a lot less likely to want to splash the cash generously where the federal government is concerned so it's not a good time for the CSA to make itself a target for populist ranting.

7 minutes ago, phil03 said:

For what little consolation its worth I am cautiously optimistic that this will be the last, worst, mess. Priestman was essentially the last person in a key position in the old days, before we had the accountability that came with visibility. Once she, anyone involved in this and anyone in among the admins who gave her go ahead or dealt with and any punishment we get served we can fully look toward the future.

That makes me feel better actually, thanks for sharing that perspective 🙏.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are old enough to remember what happened after Ben Johnson returned from Seoul this should not come as surprise. A spectacular amount of navel gazing and hand wringing lies ahead which is why the CSA needs to be seen to act decisively and not take a Didier Drogba approach to what happened. Bear in mind the probable next dude in PM terms is a lot less likely to want to splash the cash generously where the federal government is concerned so it's not a good time for the CSA to make itself a target for populist ranting.

Bed Johnson and using drones to capture training footage should not even be in the same universe, let alone ball park.

11 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Play the stupidest game, win the stupidest prizes. What did y'all think would happen by cheating at the freaking Olympics lol. 

Which is why I seriously think we need to re-evaluate our word choice here, or at least put it in quotations. Otherwise, we make viewing an opponents training akin to taking performance enhancing drugs, which is beyond ridiculous.

47 minutes ago, phil03 said:

You mean the competition that has consistently forgiven or threated with kids gloves people who have done way worse? This doesn't dimisning our guilt in the slightest and we should be punished but this idea of the Olympics as uniquely clean is just not anchored in reality.

If it was Russia wouldn't have been there for a good decade....

I'm not arguing whether it's a clean competition or not (we all know that's the oldest joke in the book), or even that the punishment fits the crime (that's clearly what you're debating here), I'm just stating the obvious: It's the freaking Olympics, the most massive sporting spectacle on the planet, and you "cheat", and get caught. Not after the fact mind you, no, you get caught red-handed as the games are kicking off, doing some of the stupidest shit possible. You're clearly going to receive some of the harshest (stupidest?) consequences, justified or not. In my opinion it just seems like a logical series of events considering the scale of the situation.

Edit: or "a logically illogical series of events" to be fair.

Edited by PegCityCam

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

God we suck lol

It's the straw that broke the camels back:

image.png.77c3db422a91c8fe264b348ec79aa19b.png

We're not just talking about drones here.  Like I was saying earlier, we're paying the price for all those years of gross incompetence.

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What you think should be the case doesn't matter. What the Canadian media and federal politicians are likely to do at this point does.

Fully agree. Sadly I think you are correct.

And that is just another layer onto my view that Canada uniquely finds ways to punch itself in the face when it comes to soccer, and I am not limiting it to the association, but extending it to media and government. We saw this with the Iran friendly too, and then the subsequent cancelling of the Panama friendly due to the player strike. We also saw it with the equal pay fight.

Whether it's our internal gender politics, our external geopolitics, or our general need to be seen doing the "right thing", we often seem to put the soccer second, in a way that most soccer nations would not.

While I understand wanting to defend our sweethearts (CANMNT & CANWNT) and wanting to downplay the situation.  I feel we're going a bit far in enabling and forgiving our drug-addicted child.  I'll try to put it in a way most can understand and probably connect with.  

Lets say you're Jamaica or Trinidad and playing to qualify for Copa and will be playing Canada.  You're trying to field your best team to counter Canada's strengths.  Do you think knowing which lineup we've been practicing all week helps you in any way?

Larin / David

Davies / Stache / Osorio / Kone / Tajon

Miller / Vitoria / Johnston

Or

Larin

Millar / David / Tajon

Stache / Kone 

Davies / Cornelius / Bombito / Johnston 

Claiming there is little to no advantage to be gained with the drones is simply untrue.

Edited by costarg

I think as @Obinna points out with our coaching staff having broken French law this almost mandates the Federal Government to get involved, hopefully reasonable actions are taken but Canada Soccer has a very bad reputation at this point! I think this really sucks for our Men's team who had nothing to do with this and just finished a very good performance at Copa and got new eyes on the program!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

God we suck lol

There was no way the Government was going to continue to help pay for the salaries of suspended coaches, if they did that would be another government scandal or source of criticism for down the road. Where they should be heavily criticized though is for announcing it, especially now. There is no reason they couldn’t cut this funding quietly instead of making a song and dance about it - other than to make themselves look good with the public, a strategy which seems to be failing from the social media reaction I have seen.