General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

He's conquered England and Europe, North America is a step down football wise but America is America and Klopp is a guy who, while not quite a Mourinho, likes the spotlight. The idea of taking an underperforming USA that's only going to get better into the World Cup they're hosting and moving his kids there, sending his kids to Stanford and rubbing elbows with various celebrities must be alluring.

Just now, Lansdude said:

He's conquered England and Europe, North America is a step down football wise but America is America and Klopp is a guy who, while not quite a Mourinho, likes the spotlight. The idea of taking an underperforming USA that's only going to get better into the World Cup they're hosting and moving his kids there, sending his kids to Stanford and rubbing elbows with various celebrities must be alluring.

Yeah this is honestly a perfect spot for him.  Publicity will be fantastic and still generally zero pressure compared to Europe.  Even if they flame out in '26 they'll blame the players before him.  

30 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Does Klopp have any connection to the US? IIRC with Jurgen Klinsmann he was living in the US before he had the coaching job so there was at least some connection.

I guess anything is possible though...

Jay Goppingen an Orange County Blue Star legend.

A few reasons why Klopp (and any other elite manager) wouldn't go...

1) The 'challenge' argument could apply to any situation... how often does a high profile manager take on a second or third division club to prove what a good manager they are?

2) The US over-hypes it's talent.  Perhaps in 5-10 years they'll have more elite talent, but right now, and leading up to the World Cup which is only in 2 years, they are a mid team.

3) 'Home' World-Cup only raises the appeal of the job a slight bit.  If anything, it might be a detractor to a European coach who would prefer more camps and the final tournament in their home continent.

4) The money the US Fed can offer wouldn't be more than a top Euro club could offer.

5) We over-estimate the allure of the US to Europeans.  He has a new luxury home in Mallorca.  A new grandchild (in Germany?).  I got this info from an article, that also mentions how much time his wife spent in the design of this new home, and how influential she had been in past career decisions... I doubt she would be happy if they have to wait to move into her dream home.

Edited by TOcanadafan

Klopp could probably take any job in the world he wanted, maybe save for Manchester City, like, tomorrow. Coaching the states is a 2-4 year commitment and during that time, there’s plenty that could go wrong, especially for a coach with like 20 years of pure club football. By the next World Cup, nearly every single top manager in the world will be liable to lose their job at some point, so he can go wherever he wants. Unlike Messi coming to America as a branding exercise, I don’t know what more American notoriety would do for Klopp- he has nothing to sell. 

Renard would be a good pick for them too. Little bit of a rivalry narrative too- Renard rejected us, the states rejected Marsch. Adds a little extra edge to our games. 

23 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Things are changing. I'm constantly hearing CMNT discussion on the radio. 

Take a lisen to this. They talk to Forest and then discuss duel nats and Canucks Abroad. I honestly feel things will be different moving forward. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/morning-show/canada-soccers-success-blue-jays-shortcomings/

Walked into London Drugs the other day and overheard two clerks in a stock room doing the long, standard ABC of calling it soccer vs. football discussion. I just paused and listened. A lot of people at different stages along the path of being fans.

I've definitely heard a lot of people who never talk about soccer talk about Canada during the Copa run. I find a lot of the discussion being about the reffing, but this is probably selection bias happening because people know I ref and so they ask me about it. But their questions are super loaded and they want me to confirm that Canada is getting royally screwed which I can't confirm. I really don't like a lot of the vitriol aimed at the refs. Yes, it has been uneven in the Copa. But everyone, be it casuals or the die hards in my group chat, are constantly slagging the refs even before the match. They are very slow to praise refs for good decisions. Clare Rustad has been popping up on my twitter feed and frankly she seems unhinged when she talks about the reffing.

Maybe I'm just sensitive because I read about Anders Frisk again yesterday. What a shame his story ended up being. For my money, he was even better than Pierluigi Collina.

3 hours ago, Vasi said:

Things are changing. I'm constantly hearing CMNT discussion on the radio. 

Take a lisen to this. They talk to Forest and then discuss duel nats and Canucks Abroad. I honestly feel things will be different moving forward. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/morning-show/canada-soccers-success-blue-jays-shortcomings/

Listened to that, couldn't believe it!!

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

I've definitely heard a lot of people who never talk about soccer talk about Canada during the Copa run. I find a lot of the discussion being about the reffing, but this is probably selection bias happening because people know I ref and so they ask me about it. But their questions are super loaded and they want me to confirm that Canada is getting royally screwed which I can't confirm. I really don't like a lot of the vitriol aimed at the refs. Yes, it has been uneven in the Copa. But everyone, be it casuals or the die hards in my group chat, are constantly slagging the refs even before the match. They are very slow to praise refs for good decisions. Clare Rustad has been popping up on my twitter feed and frankly she seems unhinged when she talks about the reffing.

Maybe I'm just sensitive because I read about Anders Frisk again yesterday. What a shame his story ended up being. For my money, he was even better than Pierluigi Collina.

Agreed on this. The reffing wasn't great in Copa, but it's not the reason we lost to Argentina twice.

I will say though, that Canada loves to be feel aggrieved about refs, especially if it seems like it's the Americans that screwed us. I think a major inflection point in canadian soccer was the 2012 CAN-USA olympic semi-final. If we lost that game boringly 2-0 instead of the controversy with the ref, I don't think we would be where we are now in terms of fan support. There is no team we (general Can audience, not us V's) want to beat more than the USA, and no team we hate losing to more than the USA. That's in every sport.

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

Honest question.

Based on some similar experiences.

We have huge biases about reffing but do we also not have years behind us of throwing up our hands a saying "That's CONCACAF." Or now "That's CONMEBOL" or "That's UEFA" or "That's Premier League refs" or "That's corrupt FIFA in general."

Are we desensitise to it and others have new eyes or it is just being biased for you country?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just a thought.

If we looked at growing our game & stop talking about investors/investing with fees.

Let's say we open our CPL2 next year without any fee, but a 3000 seater stadium with the obligation to have a football stadium built within a few years. Can't gain promotion to the CPL without a dedicated football stadium.

It shouldn't be about money.

How many clubs would join the league?

58 minutes ago, P-O said:

Just a thought.

If we looked at growing our game & stop talking about investors/investing with fees.

Let's say we open our CPL2 next year without any fee, but a 3000 seater stadium with the obligation to have a football stadium built within a few years. Can't gain promotion to the CPL without a dedicated football stadium.

I’d say probably 6-ish. A team from L1O, a team or two in PQ, one in the Atlantic, one in Saskatchewan, and mayyybe, another try at the Eddies?

On 7/12/2024 at 8:57 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Honest question.

Based on some similar experiences.

We have huge biases about reffing but do we also not have years behind us of throwing up our hands a saying "That's CONCACAF." Or now "That's CONMEBOL" or "That's UEFA" or "That's Premier League refs" or "That's corrupt FIFA in general."

Are we desensitise to it and others have new eyes or it is just being biased for you country?

Everybody thinks they have the worst referees. It's the same as how every city thinks they have the worst drivers.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

Just a thought.

Zero. Where are all these magical clubs willing to suddenly invest millions of dollars into running a club in a national league coming from? They don't exist.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

Just a thought.

Couldn’t you just do that with League1 as it currently stands? The promotion between that and the CPL would be similar to Italy’s Série C (regional) to Série B (national). I think both Netherlands and Belgium have specific infrastructure requirements for teams to be allowed to promote, so some teams could play for promotion, and others who don’t have the budget, could just stay where they are and benefit from an (ostensibly) higher quality second division.

21 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Couldn’t you just do that with League1 as it currently stands? The promotion between that and the CPL would be similar to Italy’s Série C (regional) to Série B (national). I think both Netherlands and Belgium have specific infrastructure requirements for teams to be allowed to promote, so some teams could play for promotion, and others who don’t have the budget, could just stay where they are and benefit from an (ostensibly) higher quality second division.

Netherlands is actually a closed system.

There is no relegation from the 2nd tier

59 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Everybody thinks they have the worst referees. It's the same as how every city thinks they have the worst drivers.

Fair point on the first.

On the second though, if using a signal light is part of being a good driver, Alberta drivers are empirically the worst.  (That said, they don't actively try to kill you as a pedestrian like some places I have been.)

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yes, but I think teams have to actually accommodate a certain stadium size/infrastructure quality to actually accept their promotion if eligible? Or that may be Belgium. But either way, I think those leagues have some second tier teams that have rejected promotion in the past for these reasons.

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

Don't Belgium have the same thing, or are you mixing Belgium up with Netherlands?