General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really wish we had a potential alternative for David later in games.  He was a big part of our attacking plays tonight so definitely not claiming he had a bad game, but at a time when we were needing to change things up he is the one guy we don’t seem to have a “fresh legs” version of that we could trust in a big game situation.  I am happy to throw on a guy like Tani or JRR for a tiring Larin.  We have a wide players that can all be plugged in at various spots.  But in the attacking half, it seems like David is the one guy where we don’t have a similar player so we end up being unable to freshen things up without changing tactics and formation.  

I wouldn’t mind having another player emerge that can play that pocket between CAM and striker.  

Honestly it seemed to me that David had more running left in his legs than most others towards the end of the game. Despite his physique he is a cardio beast. It would be nice to have more options, but he's not a guy we need to be looking to sub, at least not in this tournament. 

3 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Are you suggesting David shouldn't be one of the 5 PK takers? Or that he shouldn't start? I don't know how to solve the PK problem AND the valid concern you raise.

Not really suggesting anything specific - other than the idea that it would be good to have an option.  David is a huge player for us but there are times where I wouldn’t mind mixing it up a bit if we had a suitable sub for him.  We are always (it seems) ready to plug in someone like JRR or Tani in for Larin in the latter part of games to shake things up, but JD seems to escape all sub speculation even in games where he has been fairly anonymous.  Not saying he was last night - he was key in multiple effective buildups and assisted the goal (even if it wasn’t recognized officially because of the deflection).  And I get that he does a lot of stuff off the ball that is important.  And with PKs coming up I know you leave him on the field last night.  

But there are times where it seems like we could sub him out but it is more challenging than other positions simply because he is fairly unique in our squad.  And anyone who could play that role is so different, either in quality or playing style, that a sub for David just doesn’t seem viable.

it would just be nice if we had someone else that plays that sort of key, linking role in attack, who can be part of a high midfield buildup but who also routinely pops up in the box ready to bang one in or make the last pass.  From a squad perspective, David seems like the most unique player we have and I think it does constrain us a bit in games where he can become a bit invisible.

(and this really is a more general observation - not about the game Last night). 

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One nice thing about getting to the Semis is we have a guaranteed game after, and if we play for 3rd place Marsch can give guys tournaments minutes who wouldn't get them like Bair, Waterman, Choiniere, Piette and St. Clair.

Fully agree, but if it's to give tournament mins it has to be with an eye towards 2026. Other than GC 2025 we don't have any competitive games after Copa.  So players that are reasonably expected to be part of the future and can play Marsh football.

5 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

Have you considered that his seeming invisibility may often be due to the play of others around him?

Again, not trying to be critical of JD.  I really am just making a point about having options. 

On 7/6/2024 at 8:09 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Not really suggesting anything specific - other than the idea that it would be good to have an option.  David is a huge player for us but there are times where I wouldn’t mind mixing it up a bit if we had a suitable sub for him.  We are always (it seems) ready to plug in someone like JRR or Tani in for Larin in the latter part of games to shake things up, but JD seems to escape all sub speculation even in games where he has been fairly anonymous.  Not saying he was last night - he was key in multiple effective buildups and assisted the goal (even if it wasn’t recognized officially because of the deflection).  And I get that he does a lot of stuff off the ball that is important.  And with PKs coming up I know you leave him on the field last night.  

But there are times where it seems like we could sub him out but it is more challenging than other positions simply because he is fairly unique in our squad.  And anyone who could play that role is so different, either in quality or playing style, that a sub for David just doesn’t seem viable.

it would just be nice if we had someone else that plays that sort of key, linking role in attack, who can be part of a high midfield buildup but who also routinely pops up in the box ready to bang one in or make the last pass.  From a squad perspective, David seems like the most unique player we have and I think it does constrain us a bit in games where he can become a bit invisible.

(and this really is a more general observation - not about the game Last night). 

All very reasonable thoughts. And for friendlies I'd suggest we have a sufficient collective bench to replace David - not his exact skill set but someone who can come in and play his one-touch-striker role for a few minutes as skill development. Certainly not for a competitive match, so WCQ2030 is a concern. (If placing in the top 15 in CONCACAF is really a concern any more.)

But in a tourney David cannot get subbed so it doesn't matter if we have a sub for him or not. In Group we need his quality for 90 minutes; there's only one other player on the team with his level of play so unless it's 5-0 (remembering goal diff matters) David is needed to at least threaten to score, even if he stands at halfway the entire time. And in knockout the PK issue.

Look, I'd love a submachine gun to use on the motorcycles screaming down the twisty freeway outside my house. All I have is an Airsoft gun. But it doesn't matter what I like - I can't use either of them legally. So I stopped trying to figure out how to import a Agram 2000 and am content with ear plugs. 🫢

Very well described as to what would be useful and the drawbacks of not having the right player (at this time!) on the sideline. Maybe CanPL can train someone to be that player for 2027?

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

Have to give TSN credit for posting that clip despite the self-own.

Although I guess their social media person probably has no idea anyways. Just like Westhead doesnfo't.

i dont think tsn give a shit.after saturdays third place the CMNT will be forgotten by tsn until 2026 they are the bandwagon network

@reggietfc   Could not agree more with the TSN evaluation you posted.  They have had so much opportunity handed to them on a proverbial plate for this event and will reap ratings gold - till the next event it will be silence. The ignoring of the CanPl by them is a well documented here and amongst us diehards, if they cared, they would even identify last night what the CPL is to the casuals watching- can't assume they would know that is stands for the Canadian Premier League or give more background on the league too- team locations, names etc. nary a peep from TSN about the league last night or generally at all.

Also, @JamboAl unless I missed something perhaps around Qatar WC, have they contacted you or any of the OG V's to do some form of history of the V's for a segment on a broadcast. I can't think of any other Canadian national team ( hoops, hockey, v-ball etc) that have such an organized, involved and organic supporters group such as the V's

Berhalter out.

So now I don't think we'll be able to compete as best in CONCACAF.

Feel free to disagree but looking at that US team the only reason we have been able to play well against them and even beat them was because he could never get the best out of all that talent.

When he was gone we were thoroughly outclassed in the Nations League Final.

They have too much talent amd depth to not be the best in this region.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Berhalter out.

Feel free to disagree but looking at that US team the only reason we have been able to play well against them and even beat them was because he could never get the best out of all that talent.

Never change mate.

27 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Berhalter out.

Will the USA be favourites in most of our upcoming matches? Probably. And given the numbers and numbers of dollars in the sport in their country, they should be.  But we can and will still compete, as in try to win, and sometimes be successful. 

Also there's a good chance their next coach also sucks. Many do!

On 7/6/2024 at 7:09 AM, jonovision said:

Honestly it seemed to me that David had more running left in his legs than most others towards the end of the game. Despite his physique he is a cardio beast. It would be nice to have more options, but he's not a guy we need to be looking to sub, at least not in this tournament. 

Well, I think he may have hit the runner's wall in the semi because a lot of the sluggish decision making and faulty execution looks like it could have been from fatigue.

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Berhalter out.

I have no doubt they will improve without Gregg.  100%. 

However, i’m somewhere in the middle on how we’ll compete and match up.  Obinna made a great point here like 2 years ago mentioning how they have talent and players peppered all over top leagues, yet none of them are « the » guy or even unconditional starters/leaders on their teams.  They beat us on depth, but not so sure about best 11 vs best 11 in an ideal formation that suits the squad and all players preforming at 100%. 

Bethalter vs Herdman/Biello was simply that, very average tacticians not getting the most of their teams and a competition based on which coach can hurt his team less. 

FFS I just hope they don’t manage to get Klopp. 

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

Berhalter out.

We’re pretty even talent wise, imo.

Does Klopp have any connection to the US? IIRC with Jurgen Klinsmann he was living in the US before he had the coaching job so there was at least some connection.

I guess anything is possible though...