General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 6/18/2024 at 4:43 PM, Watchmen said:

They're down from about a decade ago, but up 11% last year. And still measured in the "hundreds of thousands", something we're only getting in soccer for the major tournaments. 

Just as an update, Week 2 CFL was down 12% versus last year - this is what happens when you try to go up against NHL playoffs with a Canadian team still playing, and they have another tonight going head-to-head. Seems like they've really sacrificed their in-game attendees by scheduling all of their games Thursday-Sunday at 7PM. Those Sunday night games must be brutal to attend.

I'd be curious to see how TSN did last night between Copa and CFL. Know their numbers for Euros have been pretty good and Canada haven't played a big opponent in primetime like that in quite some time. I imagine they had a good number, similar to some of the WCQ figures they were drawing.

10 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Just as an update, Week 2 CFL was down 12% versus last year - this is what happens when you try to go up against NHL playoffs with a Canadian team still playing, and they have another tonight going head-to-head. Seems like they've really sacrificed their in-game attendees by scheduling all of their games Thursday-Sunday at 7PM. Those Sunday night games must be brutal to attend.

Week 1 ratings were up 22% overcast year, which makes me think the "down 12%" is very much a specific case scenario of going up against the Oilers playoff run, as you mention.

And yeah, I'll be interested to see what the ratings are for the Canada vs Argentina game.

45 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Some fun nonsense - I like how they included Marsch:

https://youtu.be/ev5jldwT9nE?si=AzSZKBiNP-qnYjjF

This one too (apologies if already posted, but hard to keep up post match): 

My favorite one is everyone saying it's Liam Millar who is most likely to complain about his FIFA rating. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

1.1M was the average audience for CAN/ARG on TSN/RDS. Largest audience ever for a Copa match. 

Yes largest Canadian audience.

Not that it's not nice see that many people watching soccer here but I find it funny that it is being touted like this.

We have never been here before, probably not surprising less people in this country checked it out in the past.

(Would have been interesting to see what the numbers here would have been if Messi started against someone else.)

56 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yes largest Canadian audience.

Not that it's not nice see that many people watching soccer here but I find it funny that it is being touted like this.

We have never been here before, probably not surprising less people in this country checked it out in the past.

(Would have been interesting to see what the numbers here would have been if Messi started against someone else.)

Wonder if they could have gotten more had they put it on the main CTV and all TSN channels. 

They will have Argentina v Chile on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see how that does

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully with the success of this Copa  we will see more friendlies organised  and a return of Camp Poutine in January  or Febuary when ever it was . One difference can we try some where other than Florida  , first thing I dont want those Americans spying on us , and secondly  there has got to be better places in the caribean

From 4:48, sounds like an offer had not yet been extended to David at the time of recording. But then he says there's a lot of interest and it is a matter of choice for him. He asks Larin about the thought process for choosing Mallorca. Sounds like he's weighing his options, but as they said, a lot of factors are at play. Nothing is concrete until an offer is extended. 

I really wish we had a potential alternative for David later in games.  He was a big part of our attacking plays tonight so definitely not claiming he had a bad game, but at a time when we were needing to change things up he is the one guy we don’t seem to have a “fresh legs” version of that we could trust in a big game situation.  I am happy to throw on a guy like Tani or JRR for a tiring Larin.  We have a wide players that can all be plugged in at various spots.  But in the attacking half, it seems like David is the one guy where we don’t have a similar player so we end up being unable to freshen things up without changing tactics and formation.  

I wouldn’t mind having another player emerge that can play that pocket between CAM and striker.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really wish we had a potential alternative for David later in games.  He was a big part of our attacking plays tonight so definitely not claiming he had a bad game, but at a time when we were needing to change things up he is the one guy we don’t seem to have a “fresh legs” version of that we could trust in a big game situation.  I am happy to throw on a guy like Tani or JRR for a tiring Larin.  We have a wide players that can all be plugged in at various spots.  But in the attacking half, it seems like David is the one guy where we don’t have a similar player so we end up being unable to freshen things up without changing tactics and formation.  

I wouldn’t mind having another player emerge that can play that pocket between CAM and striker.  

Hoilett or Oso could do a job as a 10 but nothing close to David level

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Are you suggesting David shouldn't be one of the 5 PK takers? Or that he shouldn't start? I don't know how to solve the PK problem AND the valid concern you raise.