General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

General Secretary opening posted on linkedin. Deadline is Nov 10th. So, it will be tight for new hire to start by year-end.

In the near term, the General Secretary will be responsible for improving the financial profile of Canada Soccer, which will include modernizing and optimizing the agreement with Canadian Soccer Business, concluding collective bargaining agreements with the national teams, and seeking new revenue-generating opportunities. S/he will also be charged with transforming the organization into a world-class NSO, reflective of the programs and talent that represent the country today. This will involve developing a strategic vision for Canada Soccer and ensuring that the organization has the needed talent and resources to execute on this strategy with focus and passion.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3738063013/

4 hours ago, red card said:

General Secretary opening posted on linkedin. Deadline is Nov 10th. So, it will be tight for new hire to start by year-end.

In the near term, the General Secretary will be responsible for improving the financial profile of Canada Soccer, which will include modernizing and optimizing the agreement with Canadian Soccer Business, concluding collective bargaining agreements with the national teams, and seeking new revenue-generating opportunities. S/he will also be charged with transforming the organization into a world-class NSO, reflective of the programs and talent that represent the country today. This will involve developing a strategic vision for Canada Soccer and ensuring that the organization has the needed talent and resources to execute on this strategy with focus and passion.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3738063013/

I'd like to announce that I've applied for the role. Wish me luck!

Watching US vs Germany friendly on TNT. Just amazing the talent level that the US has assembled when comparing to the Canadian friendly yesterday. Very little weaknesses in that team. Not sure how many CMNT players could even crack their lineup. Davies, David and maybe Eustáquio

Haven't seen the match or even the highlights but the overall stats for the US-Germany game are very similar overall to the Canada-Japan match (other than we had much more possession than the US did at home). It does't make me feel any better about our performance, but its suggestive that the three 2026 hosts still have a lot of improving to do.

Watching a post game of USA Germany. Didn't watch the game.

USA went toe to toe with the Germans with the same line up, formation and players we faced in NL final. Dest for Robinson at LB was the only difference. 

In the second half Reyna went to the bench and USA went back to 4-3-3 Berhalter ball and Germany took over. After Germany scored the 3rd they went back to the 4-2-3-1 and Luca De La Torre went to Reyna's spot but couldn't obviously replicate what Gio brought and although things improved the game was out of reach and Germany were cruising.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Watching a post game of USA Germany. Didn't watch the game.

USA went toe to toe with the Germans with the same line up, formation and players we faced in NL final. Dest for Robinson at LB was the only difference. 

In the second half Reyna went to the bench and USA went back to 4-3-3 Berhalter ball and Germany took over. After Germany scored the 3rd they went back to the 4-2-3-1 and Luca De La Torre went to Reyna's spot but couldn't obviously replicate what Gio brought and although things improved the game was out of reach and Germany were cruising.

I only had a chance to watch 1st half, wife made me stove shop at home depot. They looked very good at the start. Pulisic's goal was great. No idea how they collapsed in the 2nd. It definitely was fun and wide open game to watch.

It is funny in reddit on ussoccer, everyone is complaining on Berhalter's reliance on a 433. Asking to run a 352. And here we are praying to switch to a 433.

There’s always talk of the USMNT pulling away from the concacaf pack, but you look at their last bunch of games, and it’s a loss against a world class opponent, two easy friendly wins at home, losing to Panama, nearly losing to us at home, then two wins against minnows and a draw against Jamaica. The US also had an incredibly lopsided home/away record, and when you look at their team, it’s bonafide studs like balogun and Pulisic, then it’s some good guys and hyped young players not doing much, like Reyna and Aaronson. They’re basically us with more opportunities to play at home, let’s be honest.

The Canada team that lost to Japan could still beat this US team at home in Canada, that I am certain of. 

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

I only had a chance to watch 1st half, wife made me stove shop at home depot. They looked very good at the start. Pulisic's goal was great. No idea how they collapsed in the 2nd. It definitely was fun and wide open game to watch.

It is funny in reddit on ussoccer, everyone is complaining on Berhalter's reliance on a 433. Asking to run a 352. And here we are praying to switch to a 433.

They have 3 CB’s, we don’t even have 2, nevermind the 3rd. 

34 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

There’s always talk of the USMNT pulling away from the concacaf pack, but you look at their last bunch of games, and it’s a loss against a world class opponent, two easy friendly wins at home, losing to Panama, nearly losing to us at home, then two wins against minnows and a draw against Jamaica. The US also had an incredibly lopsided home/away record, and when you look at their team, it’s bonafide studs like balogun and Pulisic, then it’s some good guys and hyped young players not doing much, like Reyna and Aaronson. They’re basically us with more opportunities to play at home, let’s be honest.

The Canada team that lost to Japan could still beat this US team at home in Canada, that I am certain of. 

The only thing holding back the US is their ridiculously limited coach. Anyone else would unleash that team to new heights.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

The only thing holding back the US is their ridiculously limited coach. Anyone else would unleash that team to new heights.

We seem to have that belief about ourselves. If only we had someone better than Biello or Herdman....

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The USA has yet to beat an elite team under Berhalter. Mexico and Canada far from elite and England they drew. They beat Morocco, but that was a Morocco in crisis that sacked their coach immediately afterwards and were clearly not up for it against the USA. Japan? Loss. Holland? Loss. Germany? Loss. England? Draw. 

USA has an elite starting 11, but there is still a gap between them and a B+ German side without Goretzka, Kimmich, Gnabry, and Neurer amongst others. The ESPN FC panel were pointing out how they still cough up the ball and defend too deep against the best teams. They also try and go toe-to-toe instead of maximizing their athleticism. Those are coaching issues that stem from being unrealistic about where the USA are at. Japan for example has a lot of depth, like USA, but on paper an American starting 11 should be better, but it's not. The Japanese are way ahead of the USA because they figured out how to play to a way that maximizes what they are good at. The USA don't do this and haven't done it with this golden generation.

On 10/15/2023 at 1:49 AM, Obinna said:

We seem to have that belief about ourselves. If only we had someone better than Biello or Herdman....

The USA has yet to beat an elite team under Berhalter. Mexico and Canada far from elite and England they drew. They beat Morocco, but that was a Morocco in crisis that sacked their coach immediately afterwards and were clearly not up for it against the USA. Japan? Loss. Holland? Loss. Germany? Loss. England? Draw. 

USA has an elite starting 11, but there is still a gap between them and a B+ German side without Goretzka, Kimmich, Gnabry, and Neurer amongst others. The ESPN FC panel were pointing out how they still cough up the ball and defend too deep against the best teams. They also try and go toe-to-toe instead of maximizing their athleticism. Those are coaching issues that stem from being unrealistic about where the USA are at. Japan for example has a lot of depth, like USA, but on paper an American starting 11 should be better, but it's not. The Japanese are way ahead of the USA because they figured out how to play to a way that maximizes what they are good at. The USA don't do this and haven't done it with this golden generation.

Even considering all this, the US gets a massive advantage playing nearly all of their games at home.Over the past two years, minus your typical CONCACAF teams, I think the only good opponent the US has beat away from home is Iran 1-0 at the world cup? Aside from that, looking at some of their better results over that span, you're looking at the 3-0 win against the Morocco team that was not at all the team that went to the world cup, and then I guess their 3rd best win was the 2-0 against us during NL finals in Vegas. That's not a very good run considering all of the tools at their disposal. Hell, when is the last time the US pulled off a bigger upset than when we beat Japan right before the World Cup? Granted, they didn't have their entire team, but they were still a very good team.

Anyways, I'm happy to blame Berhalter, but at some point, the difference between being mediocre and being this world class juggernaut can't simply just be the coach. We pulled off top of the table WC qualifying with a deeply flawed coach and very flawed roster, so I don't quite buy that it's all coaching. The USMNT just feels like the Maple Leafs- a contender because their fans say so, and every couple years you get an iteration of the team and it's like "this is the one where we're going all the way baby!!" and then something inexplicable happens and the team goes nowhere (no hate to any potential Leafs fans reading this)

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Anyways, I'm happy to blame Berhalter, but at some point, the difference between being mediocre and being this world class juggernaut can't simply just be the coach. We pulled off top of the table WC qualifying with a deeply flawed coach and very flawed roster, so I don't quite buy that it's all coaching. The USMNT just feels like the Maple Leafs- a contender because their fans say so, and every couple years you get an iteration of the team and it's like "this is the one where we're going all the way baby!!" and then something inexplicable happens and the team goes nowhere (no hate to any potential Leafs fans reading this)

The USMNT have a ton of potential but are still an incredibly young team that lacks the experience and know-how to truly compete with the world's best at this time. They may get there as the core continues to play at top level European club environments, but it's too early  to write this generation off.

As for the Leafs: They are a contender because they've topped 100 points in the past four 82-game NHL seasons and were on a 100+ point pace in one of the two COVID-shortened seasons. It has nothing to do with what the fans say.

On 10/14/2023 at 11:49 PM, Obinna said:

The Japanese are way ahead of the USA because they figured out how to play to a way that maximizes what they are good at. The USA don't do this and haven't done it with this golden generation.

This.  And I think you could replace "USA" with "Canada" in this statement too.  Part of the problem for us is that we delude ourselves into thinking we can play a certain way against weaker CONCACAF opposition - our relative talent advantage all over the pitch makes us think we can play a certain way, impose our gameplan, implement our tactics and ride to victory.  But against the better teams, where we actually have talent deficits relative to the opposition, that same gameplan gets brutally exposed.  And we don't appear to have a plan B.

I might as well come out and say it: this "playing from the back" philosophy that has so taken hold of world soccer is beyond us, at least against the good teams.  It requires a technically/tactically proficient backline/midfield/GK, who are up to the challenge of speedy forwards and a swarming high/mid press.   And I think we've demonstrated that these positions are actually a deficiency rather than a strength, when it comes to the world stage.

Which would be fine if we had a Plan B.  But I've seen zero evidence that we have one or are even working on one.  Japan would've been a great team to try out a Plan B on.  Oh well.  🤔

Edited by GasPed

11 minutes ago, GasPed said:

This.  And I think you could replace "USA" with "Canada" in this statement too.  Part of the problem for us is that we delude ourselves into thinking we can play a certain way against weaker CONCACAF opposition - our relative talent advantage all over the pitch makes us think we can play a certain way, impose our gameplan, implement our tactics and ride to victory.  But against the better teams, where we actually have talent deficits relative to the opposition, that same gameplan gets brutally exposed.  And we don't appear to have a plan B.

I might as well come out and say it: this "playing from the back" philosophy that has so taken hold of world soccer is beyond us, at least against the good teams.  It requires a technically/tactically proficient backline/midfield/GK, who are up to the challenge of speedy forwards and a swarming high/mid press.   And I think we've demonstrated that these positions are actually a deficiency rather than a strength, when it comes to the world stage.

Which would be fine if we had a Plan B.  But I've seen zero evidence that we have one or are even working on one.  Japan would've been a great team to try out a Plan B on.  Oh well.  🤔

@admin:  Need to add a function to like the same post 5x please.