General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

In the past 20 or so years, there has been only 30-50 national teams in EA's game. In the most recent years, they have moved closer to 30. Some national team rights are held by others like PES but the excluding the rest are deliberate decisions.

Even without licenses, EA ccould go with a generic Canada national team look as they do with certain countries or just like the generic men's World Cup kits seen last year. EA can't also use "World Cup" mode anymore with the split away from FIFA.

They would have the data to show national team play isn't that popular and is a marginal contributor to in-app revenues. It's basically all centred on individual players. Ultimate Team play has taken over. 

Edited by red card

4 minutes ago, red card said:

In the past 20 or so years, there has been only 30-50 national teams in EA's game. In the most recent years, they have moved closer to 30. Some national team rights are held by others like PES but the excluding the rest are deliberate decisions.

Even without licenses, EA ccould go with a generic Canada national team look as they do with certain countries or just like the generic men's World Cup kits last year.

They would have the data to show national team play isn't that popular and is a marginal contributor to in-app revenues. It's basically all centred on individual players. Ultimate Team play has taken over. 

The last part is very important. 
I used to play FIFA religiously - I had every version since 2002 up until I became a father 5 years ago. 
From that time, I tried to like UT because it was becoming very popular, but I just couldn't get behind the whole fantasy aspect.......I can't imagine what it is now with social media influence. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I used to play FIFA religiously - I had every version since 2002 up until I became a father 5 years ago. 
From that time, I tried to like UT because it was becoming very popular, but I just couldn't get behind the whole fantasy aspect.......I can't imagine what it is now with social media influence. 

You're going to pick it up again once your kid starts playing FIFA in a couple yrs.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I didn't expand your comment and saw UT and immediately thought Unnamed Trialist. 

Then my next 2 thoughts were: NO you didn't and NO it wasn't :D

I actually started playing UT for the first time a few months ago, and I've really gotten into it as my go-to time waster. It kinda helps put into context the ratings for some of our players. I just downloaded FC EA 24 last night and in my first card pack I got a boosted Davies at like 89 ratings on loan. From what I understand, they have a player like his' rating so low because they're eventually going to release some boosted Team of the Week card where he's rated like a 97 at some point.

On my FIFA 23 EA team for example, I have a 97 rated Daley Blind as my LB, a 95 rated Harry MacGuire as one of my strikers, Donnarumma at 99, etc. The standard fifa ratings mean absolutely nothing, it's those limited run cards that matter.

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

On the main TFC fan forum  a poster in the know is saying De Vos will leave the CSA and will join the team as Technical Director.

I assume this means to run the Academy 

Yikes for the CSA.  It’s funny to me watching the OneSoccer pundits talking about this whole “is Herdman taking over October 1 and what’s going on with his start time” blah blah blah like it’s some huge issue.  They really want an angle to turn on Herdman it seems.

11 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Yikes for the CSA.  It’s funny to me watching the OneSoccer pundits talking about this whole “is Herdman taking over October 1 and what’s going on with his start time” blah blah blah like it’s some huge issue.  They really want an angle to turn on Herdman it seems.

This started with journo John Molinaro asking the question to Dunfield at yesterday's TFC press conference. And Dunfield's response was basically I have no idea what is happening (paraphrasing)

This speaks more to the disfunction at TFC in my opinion than the CSA.

Always felt De Vos would leave the CSA after his caretaker role was completed.

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

This started with journo John Molinaro asking the question to Dunfield at yesterday's TFC press conference. And Dunfield's response was basically I have no idea what is happening (paraphrasing)

This speaks more to the disfunction at TFC in my opinion than the CSA.

Always felt De Vos would leave the CSA after his caretaker role was completed.

At times it seems the CSA and TFC have the same people working for them . They are both a shit show at the moment. Canada finally makes the World Cup on the men’s side we have the World Cup coming here in 2026 with a guaranteed qualification at that and things are in disarray probably the most they have ever been. TFC goes out and gets a coach who had a very decent record in his coaching career in Bradley along with two players who had very decent careers and were still in their prime,  however everything goes to shit probably the worst it’s ever been for that team. 

From a CMNT perspective, I am hopefull that Herdman and possibly JDV will revamp the academy and development process at TFC. He has a good eye for young players  and is not afraid to play them. Montreal has excelled  in that aspect  over the last few seasons and we are going to see the same from TFC in the near future assuming JH sticks around can right the TFC ship. 

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

What is happening, if anything, with the CSA's attempts to correct its money fiasco? JDV has a business degree, I understand, and I hope that he is putting it to good use. To help JDV out, what could the CSA do to improve its financial status so it can run camps, etc.?

Theres many things they are doing and also many things they cannot due to outside constraints. The biggest thing is that our revenue base has never been big enough. The CSA has to navigate how to grow the game and its a catch 22. If they get the CSB to promote the game, we will have a domestic league, host a WC and have much much much higher quality marketing and televised games. However, the CSA is capped on what they can earn on that. Is it better to not grow the game and then take 100% of the revenues or is it better to grow the revenue base by leveraging CSB and then in 15 years we take over...... tough call

1. Leveraging sponsorships that are project based. Telus has an initiative to help women coaches. etc. (I understand this doesnt solve any cash issues but it improves the quality of our program without using any CSA resources).
2. Increasing marketing efforts to increase the spread/coverage/engagement of soccer. CSA had some metrics for 600% increases. Obviously the play here is increased participation (player fees), merchanidising, ticket revenue and sponsorship dollars (yes it goes to CSB but the CSA gets some performance related bonuses and the bigger the sponsorship revenue, the easier it is to renegotiate).
3. Interest free loans from Fifa for short term cash use
4. Launching a donation and foundation fund to diversify revenue. 

Areas with constraints
1. Gov funding - obv the gov wont pay more if theres an investigation going on.
2. CSB deal - I think this will be renegotiated when CSA has their ducks in a row with hiring personnel.