General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

8 hours ago, Metro said:

True, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Gold Cup now becomes a B tournament for the nations that qualify for the Nations League "Final Four".

The first Gold Cup (the one following a World Cup) has always been a B tournament. Especially for Mexico, who use to play the Copa America.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Sooooo whats our starting 11 post-gold cup?

---------------------Borjan--------------------

----------Johnston-Vitoria-Cornelius----------

---Buchanan-Kone-Estaquio-Ahmed-Davies---

----------------David----Larin-----------------

Who am I forgetting?

Laryea>=Buchanan, don't think Ahmed was impressive enough to warrant stealing Osorio's spot just because he played better than him with both of them coming back from injuries.

6 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Who am I forgetting?

If we have to stick with a 3-5-2 I’d have Hoilett in over Ahmed and a big question mark at the centre of our back 3.  Vitoria has expired.  Stepped up big on the penalty, organized things well for most of the game, but lost his man on the first goal, and ultimately couldn’t marshal the boys to prevent the breakdown at the end, and was beaten for speed a lot in the previous games.  Does Cornelius have the leadership to do so?… then we keep Miller in there.  Maybe McGraw can step up to be the Alpha Dog… flanked by Johnston and Cornelius who are both quicker, it may work. 
I wouldn’t mind a 4-4-2 putting Laryea in at LB, but Herdman seems to have settled on 3 at the back.

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Who am I forgetting?

St. Clair or Sirois for Borjan. We need to move on from Borjan, who will likely not be our starting keeper in 2026.

Cornelius for Vitória. We need to move on from Vitória too.

Miller at LCB.

Osorio for Ahmed.

Edited by Grandbloke

I mean if you work on the assumption that Vitoria will be retiring soon then that leaves Miller, Kennedy, Cornelius, McGraw and potentially Bombito for CB's. Don't think I am missing anyone else?

That means of all the new players at this tournament McGraw is the one player who will probably will be called up to the A team roster.

Given that Bombito could theoretically play at either CB or Kaye/Piette's position it's also possibly he gets called over one of them imo. 

There are other players that looked good but the depth is greater outside of the CB position so it may not be as straightforward. I'm not sure Ahmed replaces a Osorio yet. 

Edited by mpg_29

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

With the amount of LBs and RBs we have, along with our winger depth slowly growing, I really want to see a 4-3-3.

RBs...Johnston, Laryea...after them who?
LBs....Adekugbe, who else? (don't you dare put one of our most lethal players all the way back there)

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

LBs....Adekugbe, who else? (don't you dare put one of our most lethal players all the way back there)

Petrasso, Edwards, Franklin, Farsi (?), ZBG. We have a bunch in the pool. Some of them deserve some reps to see what they have.

I get what you're trying to say in terms of the A team but I was talking more about the pool in general, especially with friendlies on the horizon.

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

In a 352 we are only using 2 wide players and as good as AJ has been as a RCB in a back 3 he's not a CB and much better as a RB or even RWB. In a 4 at the back (442/4231/433) we could start AJ, Sam, Tajon/Richie & AD

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm not sure Ahmed replaces a Osorio yet. 

Ahmed still needs to build his resume at club level, imo.  Osorio is a really good linking midfield player and in doing that role, he makes the right passes to the right guys at the right time.  That has come over time and was not present in his younger days when he and others saw him as a CAM focal point guy, which he is not.  He knows his strengths and limits and plays to them, very often to good effect for the rest of his team.  So, he is still an important supporting cast cog in our starting midfield, so long as he is healthy and has relative wheels.  

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

In a 352 we are only using 2 wide players and as good as AJ has been as a RCB in a back 3 he's not a CB and much better as a RB or even RWB. In a 4 at the back (442/4231/433) we could start AJ, Sam, Tajon/Richie & AD

I don't know, maybe its an unpopular opinion but in the RWB position my ranking goes Tajon, Richie, and then Allistair. 
I don't think he's better than Richie. But in a RB setup I think he's better than Richie.

I still believe based on our current crop of players, 352 is the best for us.

Ahmed has earned himself a selection to the A squad, but not a starting role. If he starts then great, would love to see what he looks like with Kone and Eustaquio next to him, but agreed with most that more is needed at the club to develop as a pro. He's well on his way and at the very least he's in the conversation with guys like Choniere, Bombito and Fraser for that final midfield spot in our A team.

Will be interesting to see if any get in when Piette returns, or if Kaye regains form does he come back into the fold?

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ahmed has earned himself a selection to the A squad, but not a starting role. If he starts then great, would love to see what he looks like with Kone and Eustaquio next to him, but agreed with most that more is needed at the club to develop as a pro. He's well on his way and at the very least he's in the conversation with guys like Choniere, Bombito and Fraser for that final midfield spot in our A team.

Will be interesting to see if any get in when Piette returns, or if Kaye regains form does he come back into the fold?

Both guys are 28 and should be entering the peak of their careers...but it's seems like  we have already seen their best, and they are in decline

Best 23 today (injured players excluded):

Borjan

St Clair 

Sirois

Buchanan

Laryea

Johnston

McGraw

Vitoria

Miller

Cornelius 

Adekugbe

Davies

Choniere 

Osorio

Kone

Eustaquio

Hoilett

Ahmed

Millar

Schaffleburg

Ugbo

David

Larin

Bubble: Kennedy, Bombito, Russel-Rowe, Brym, Nelson, Fraser, Cavallini, ZBG, Heibert

Potential youngsters: Loturi, Corbeanu, Marshall-Rutty, Saliba

Potential vets: Piette, Kaye, Wotherspoon, Zator, McNaughton, Waterman

Am I forgetting anyone?

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Both guys are 28 and should be entering the peak of their careers...but it's seems like  we have already seen their best, and they are in decline

Fair point. My thinking on both is when do we cut them loose? We saw how Teibert was a Herdman favorite early on, but then Herdman cut him loose. It feels like this may have already happened with Kaye due to his omission and may be right around the corner with Piette.

If we do them return at some point, it doesn't feel like they'll last the entirety of this cycle.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Borjan

St Clair 

Sirois

Buchanan

Laryea

Johnston

McGraw

Vitoria

Miller

Cornelius 

Adekugbe

Davies

Choniere 

Osorio

Kone

Eustaquio

Hoilett

Ahmed

Millar

Schaffleburg

Ugbo

David

Larin

Bubble: Kennedy, Bombito, Russel-Rowe, Brym, Nelson, Fraser, Cavallini, ZBG, Heibert

Am I forgetting anyone?

Kerr

5 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

St. Clair or Sirois for Borjan. We need to move on from Borjan, who will likely not be our starting keeper in 2026.

Cornelius for Vitória. We need to move on from Vitória too.

Miller at LCB.

Osorio for Ahmed.

At this point it will probably be St Clair

Cornelius for Vitoria...is okay 

Miller also okay for 2026

But Osorio by 2026 he will be 34 whereas Ahmed is younger and will be more or less at his peak so are you sure you wanna do that?

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Borjan

St Clair 

Sirois

Buchanan

Laryea

Johnston

McGraw

Vitoria

Miller

Cornelius 

Adekugbe

Davies

Choniere 

Osorio

Kone

Eustaquio

Hoilett

Ahmed

Millar

Schaffleburg

Ugbo

David

Larin

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes you forgot to burst Brym's bubble.😁

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

At this point it will probably be St Clair

Cornelius for Vitoria...is okay 

Miller also okay for 2026

But Osorio by 2026 he will be 34 whereas Ahmed is younger and will be more or less at his peak so are you sure you wanna do that?

The way I see it, Osorio still makes our starting 11. But by 2026, Ahmed, Choinière, or another of our prospects could be the starter.