General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else randomly watch the WC highlights from time to time and get mad that a fucking long ball is essentially what caused our downward spiral?

A little over exaggerating but the fact we had all the momentum initially and then boom over the top and its over really hurts.

More so in the Croatia/Morocco games. Direct long passes.  Not into space in the hopes the wingers will chase it down  but a ball to a player on their foot. Canada didn’t have an answer. 

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Yeah, done in by route one.  The problem with the post mortem on those goals was where to place the blame.

After watching David continue as his club's regular penalty taker, I am still more intrigued by that particular what-might-have-been story.

Hold on there sir, Vitoria would like a word.... 

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Do we seem to cycle though assistants more than you usually see for a National Team under Herdman? Seems like we have gone through quite a bit but I dont know if thats normal or not

I would assume the assistant coach of a mid level national team isn’t exactly the type of job you plan to keep for a long period of time.

Neil Davidson:  https://www.timescolonist.com/national-sports/canadas-john-herdman-adds-to-coaching-staff-with-phil-neville-richard-shaw-7121184

Neville will be with the team for the CONCACAF Nations League and hopefully the Gold Cup, Herdman said.

Shaw will be part of the staff for both tournaments.

They also fill a void left by the promotion of Jason deVos, Canada's Soccer's director of development, to interim general secretary.

Herdman said he had "some challenges financially" in recruiting an assistant coach in the past and deVos, a former Canada captain and centre back, had filled that gap.

"With Jason leaving, that left a big hole in that defensive area," Herdman said.

"These coaches may stay on but I'm certainly looking to recruit coaches that have had these varied experiences through the next four years so this will be a trend that you'll see — these guest coaches rotating in. And some of those coaches might stick around … The players will really enjoy different voices and people who have won — at the highest level."

Edited by sstackho

This is random as it comes. I guess it's good? It is a step up from previous coaches..but.. weird choices.

As others have said. not sure where the money has come from and to be honest I hope similar money goes into the youth teams and structures for men/women.

Hmmm, I guess this is where Herdman wants the extra money to go...his assistants.  What was the whining about no money for youth program all about, cripes that was only a few days ago???  He is spending the cash on the senior mens team, he is prioritizing the senior team...which is a an option, and probably many will support it.  But there isnt unlimited funds to do everything everyone wants to do.  We cant have a send off WC game for the women, have u-17 ID camps inviting every kid someone told the CSA is promising, send a youth team to the toulon tournie or milk cup, etc etc etc.  Herdman spends the money then complains there is no money...and gets off scott free when the finger pointing starts.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmm, I guess this is where Herdman wants the extra money to go...his assistants.  What was the whining about no money for youth program all about, cripes that was only a few days ago???  He is spending the cash on the senior mens team, he is prioritizing the senior team...which is a an option, and probably many will support it.  But there isnt unlimited funds to do everything everyone wants to do.  We cant have a send off WC game for the women, have u-17 ID camps inviting every kid someone told the CSA is promising, send a youth team to the toulon tournie or milk cup, etc etc etc.  Herdman spends the money then complains there is no money...and gets off scott free when the finger pointing starts.  

wat

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How much money are we talking? I wouldnt be surprised if its peanuts. Lets say they get paid what the players get per game. Thats 3500 x2 games x2 assistants.  14k. 14k is no where near enough to run a youth camp, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if its even less than 14k.  

Like it or not the success of our senior team will generate more revenue. I know corp sponsorship goes to CSB, but hopefully that deal is being tweaked a bit? If we win NL we boost our FIFA rankings, pick up more fans, more TV viewership demand & hopefully more sponsorships. We have to keep this momentum going leading up to 2026 and continue to get results vs the USA/Mexico. We still have a lot to prove to the doubters out there..... Canadians/Americans/Mexicans and the soccer world.  I want youth camps as much as anyone else, but I don't blame JH for prioritizing the senior team and maybe we are getting a discount on Phil.  Why is JH raising the "no money for youth teams" then?  Pressure is never a bad thing.