General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Would love to see a list of the elite players from concacaf. Mexico has had some top players. Do dempsey, howard, or donavon make it on the list? Wes morgan?  That would be a great list

1. Marquez 
2. Sanchez 
3. Navas
4. Dwight York
5. Donavon
6. Dempsey
7. Howard
8. Friedel
9. Davies
10. Pulisic
11. Javier Hernandez
12. Guardado
13. Carlos Vela
14. Lozano 
15. Wes Morgan
16. Bryan Ruiz

Some great players but how many are world class.... whos missing?

Good work on that list, congrats.

Having seen him play, and if you look at the stats and compare with some of these scrub Americans who make the list, or Lozano, you'd have an argument to put Julio César Dely Valdes on it. Dely Valdes, scored close to 90 goals in 220 top flight games in Spain, also played in Serie A, for PSG.

I think the overall impact of Hugo Sánchez was enormous, he was on a major club that won five leagues in a row, but did not win a CL. Marquéz was a winner, but not as spectacular, and perhaps being a defender not as lauded. I think the Mexicans themselves argue over the two quite a bit. Then the Mexicans would put Blanco and Jorge Campos high on their lists.

If you look objectively at stats, Radzinski should be close to that top 15-20 list.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would say Pulisic 2022 was above his baseline. Davies 2022 was below his baseline. Davies' baseline is higher than Pulisic's, because he's a world class player that's more accomplished, but with him having a "down year" and Pulisic having an "up year" it probably puts Davies just slightly ahead of Pulisic, but perhaps that's close enough for the decision makers (whoever they are) to lean CP, if that makes sense...

Interesting scenario- say Leeds does get relegated, they keep some of their guys, and Tyler Adams leads them on a daring promotion race and gets them back in the premier league. Is that enough to win it in a scenario in which Davies is having a "down year"?

(The correct answer is no, because David is scoring 20 in england next year, but ignoring that...)

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Interesting scenario- say Leeds does get relegated, they keep some of their guys, and Tyler Adams leads them on a daring promotion race and gets them back in the premier league. Is that enough to win it in a scenario in which Davies is having a "down year"?

(The correct answer is no, because David is scoring 20 in england next year, but ignoring that...)

Not close to enough for me. Davies would need to have a catestrophic year, like losing his starting spot at Bayern and failing to make it off the bench, and Bayern would have to go trophy-less. Only then would I consider a player leading his team back to the Premier League as having a better season than a bench player for a mega club like Bayern. 

That's just factoring the club stuff of course. NT play matters arguably moreso for a "best player in concacaf" award.

I'm not exactly sure what this list is about, but I presume we're only talking about players that represented CONCACAF nations, and not someone like Hargreaves or Raheem Stirling. Has anyone mentioned Joel Campbell or Raul Jimenez? Hell, even Craig Forrest had 100+ premier league appearances.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Would love to see a list of the elite players from concacaf. Mexico has had some top players. Do dempsey, howard, or donavon make it on the list? Wes morgan?  That would be a great list

1. Marquez 
2. Sanchez 
3. Navas
4. Dwight York
5. Donavon
6. Dempsey
7. Howard
8. Friedel
9. Davies
10. Pulisic
11. Javier Hernandez
12. Guardado
13. Carlos Vela
14. Lozano 
15. Wes Morgan
16. Bryan Ruiz

Is it too early to put David on this list?

He has 22 goals in 38 Canada games, and roughly 90 goals in 200ish games, most of which have come while playing for a Ligue 1 side. He's played and scored in Champions and Europa League and has won a Ligue 1 title. If his career stopped today, would he be remembered as an elite player from concacaf?

Also, when it's all said and done, I think Eustaquio will be on this list. Buchanan has potential but too soon to tell. Reyna has the talent to be on this list and players like Adams and McKennie should probably make this list as well, eventually. 

Does Cyle Larin get remembered as an elite concacaf player? It's conceivable but depends on how many top 5 league goals he can score. He's off to a good start. He's only 28 this year, so he's firmly in his prime now. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not close to enough for me. Davies would need to have a catestrophic year, like losing his starting spot at Bayern and failing to make it off the bench, and Bayern would have to go trophy-less. Only then would I consider a player leading his team back to the Premier League as having a better season than a bench player for a mega club like Bayern. 

That's just factoring the club stuff of course. NT play matters arguably moreso for a "best player in concacaf" award.

You’re probably right- I’m more thinking that with the hype in North America for Wrexham and their story, plus the massive appetite from fans for pro-rel, the story of an all American boy taking an underdog back to the premier league would be a huge story here. Probably too “small” to beat out Davies still, but if we’re looking at it from an American fan voting perspective, I think that’s a story that would capture a lot of hearts.

Get your betting slips in now folks, in my boredom of 18 hrs of flying Canada just won the 2026 WC on my Football Manager 2023 thanks to a 1-0 German own goal in the finals. I know most of you don’t care, but this was a lot of hard work on my part so here’s the details

The tournament started shaky as the Davies and Eustaquio-less Canadians advanced on goals for from a 3 way tie that was equal on points and GD with Ghana and Wales. Underdogs the whole time, they bested Denmark, Japan, USA, and Brazil on their way to facing Germany in the final. 2 Canadians finished in the top 3 for Golden Boot, Jonathan David and Osaze De Rosario losing to Mbappe who lost in the semis. Here was the 2026 roster and the teams they played on:

GK: St Clair - FC Dallas
LB: Davies - Bayern
CB: Henry - Minnesota
CB: Cornelius - Malmo
RB: Johnston - Celtic
CM: Kone - Watford (EPL)
CM: Eustaquio - Porto
CAM: David - Norwich (EPL)
LW: Akinola - TFC (still)
ST: De Rosario - Bayer 04
RW: Marshall-Rutty - Atalanta

Subs
GKs: Sirois (Valour) , Bursac (TSC)
Defenders: Franklin (Eintracht Frankfurt), Laryea (Sporting), Adekugbe (Sheffield United), Sturing (Lavallois), Ferdinand (TFC)
Mids: Kaye (TFC), Loturi (Ross County)
Attackers: Millar (Basel), Ugbo (Besiktas), Corbeanu (Wolves), Nelson (Rosenborg), Buchanan (RC Lens), Mbongue (TFC)

Following the World Cup win, a rush of duals decided to finally commit to Canada including Brighton star Daniel Jebbison.

Don’t worry, I’ll start working on my coaching licenses now so we aren’t fined every time I coach in 2026

21 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Get your betting slips in now folks, in my boredom of 18 hrs of flying Canada just won the 2026 WC on my Football Manager 2023 thanks to a 1-0 German own goal in the finals. I know most of you don’t care, but this was a lot of hard work on my part so here’s the details

The tournament started shaky as the Davies and Eustaquio-less Canadians advanced on goals for from a 3 way tie that was equal on points and GD with Ghana and Wales. Underdogs the whole time, they bested Denmark, Japan, USA, and Brazil on their way to facing Germany in the final. 2 Canadians finished in the top 3 for Golden Boot, Jonathan David and Osaze De Rosario losing to Mbappe who lost in the semis. Here was the 2026 roster and the teams they played on:

GK: St Clair - FC Dallas
LB: Davies - Bayern
CB: Henry - Minnesota
CB: Cornelius - Malmo
RB: Johnston - Celtic
CM: Kone - Watford (EPL)
CM: Eustaquio - Porto
CAM: David - Norwich (EPL)
LW: Akinola - TFC (still)
ST: De Rosario - Bayer 04
RW: Marshall-Rutty - Atalanta

Subs
GKs: Sirois (Valour) , Bursac (TSC)
Defenders: Franklin (Eintracht Frankfurt), Laryea (Sporting), Adekugbe (Sheffield United), Sturing (Lavallois), Ferdinand (TFC)
Mids: Kaye (TFC), Loturi (Ross County)
Attackers: Millar (Basel), Ugbo (Besiktas), Corbeanu (Wolves), Nelson (Rosenborg), Buchanan (RC Lens), Mbongue (TFC)

Following the World Cup win, a rush of duals decided to finally commit to Canada including Brighton star Daniel Jebbison.

Don’t worry, I’ll start working on my coaching licenses now so we aren’t fined every time I coach in 2026

Not possible, David looks horrible in yellow.

Big summer coming up for the boys. I would want to see us conquer Concacaf and try to go for both tournaments. Reality is guys might not want to play the extra additional games, or will need to sort out their club futures - Larin and David come to mind. However doing the double could add more to their stock. Regardless, this will be the first time we will potentially have the most players play for the CMNT in a given year due to the multiple competitions. A great problem to have. 

So we're expecting to see "2 squads", and with talent emerging it seems that the potential strain of picking guys or separating the team won't be much of an issue. I think the squad could benefit from splitting the brotherhood with the realization that some guys (Kaye, Piette, Wotherspoon) are simply not going to feature in the Panama game. 

The 60 man provisional list is going to be stronger than in previous years, and may have more relevance. Here's what the last one looked like:

image.png.42266c3c2106c3026a85160ab2b39aea.png

Here's some names that are not listed, but who I think would be included today (15):
Adekugbe, Heibert, Loturi, Petrasso, Farsi, Abzi, Kerr, Russell-Rowe, Tabla, Zator, MacNaughton, McGill, Edwards, Ugbo, Saliba

Here's some names that are listed that I don't think would be included today (15):
Ricketts, Ferreira, Arfield ( those three for obvious reasons), Twardek, Vilsaint, Teibert, Paton, Morgan, Elva, Chapman, Bayiha, Leutwiler, Pasher, Singh, Sturing.

All I know there's some exciting months ahead.

MLS transfermarkt values updated (sorted for Canadians): 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-league-soccer/marktwertaenderungen/wettbewerb/MLS1/verein_id//land_id/80/pos//detailpos//plus/1/galerie/0/sort/marktwert.desc

Kamal Miller is now the most valuable Canadian in MLS at $4M, second is Osorio. Thought it was crazy that JMR and Piette are both at $2.5M. I know these are monopoly numbers and mean little, but Toronto might have to start thinking about lowering their $20M price tag…

On 3/22/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bigandy said:

1. Marquez 
2. Sanchez 
3. Navas
4. Dwight York
5. Donavon
6. Dempsey
7. Howard
8. Friedel
9. Davies
10. Pulisic
11. Javier Hernandez
12. Guardado
13. Carlos Vela
14. Lozano 
15. Wes Morgan
16. Bryan Ruiz

Sorry this is so late, but another worthy top CONCACAF player came to me in a flash today: Mágico González.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mágico_González

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

MLS transfermarkt values updated (sorted for Canadians): 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-league-soccer/marktwertaenderungen/wettbewerb/MLS1/verein_id//land_id/80/pos//detailpos//plus/1/galerie/0/sort/marktwert.desc

Kamal Miller is now the most valuable Canadian in MLS at $4M, second is Osorio. Thought it was crazy that JMR and Piette are both at $2.5M. I know these are monopoly numbers and mean little, but Toronto might have to start thinking about lowering their $20M price tag…

You are absolutely right...they are monopoly numbers!

On 3/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, Shway said:

Big summer coming up for the boys. I would want to see us conquer Concacaf and try to go for both tournaments. Reality is guys might not want to play the extra additional games, or will need to sort out their club futures - Larin and David come to mind. However doing the double could add more to their stock. Regardless, this will be the first time we will potentially have the most players play for the CMNT in a given year due to the multiple competitions. A great problem to have. 

So we're expecting to see "2 squads", and with talent emerging it seems that the potential strain of picking guys or separating the team won't be much of an issue. I think the squad could benefit from splitting the brotherhood with the realization that some guys (Kaye, Piette, Wotherspoon) are simply not going to feature in the Panama game. 

The 60 man provisional list is going to be stronger than in previous years, and may have more relevance. Here's what the last one looked like:

image.png.42266c3c2106c3026a85160ab2b39aea.png

Here's some names that are not listed, but who I think would be included today (15):
Adekugbe, Heibert, Loturi, Petrasso, Farsi, Abzi, Kerr, Russell-Rowe, Tabla, Zator, MacNaughton, McGill, Edwards, Ugbo, Saliba

Here's some names that are listed that I don't think would be included today (15):
Ricketts, Ferreira, Arfield ( those three for obvious reasons), Twardek, Vilsaint, Teibert, Paton, Morgan, Elva, Chapman, Bayiha, Leutwiler, Pasher, Singh, Sturing.

All I know there's some exciting months ahead.

I might be taking a leap here but I wonder if Cava is done.  He played in a World Cup, knows he is most likely not going to play in 2026 and has a good club situation.  Guess we will see this summer.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I might be taking a leap here but I wonder if Cava is done.  He played in a World Cup, knows he is most likely not going to play in 2026 and has a good club situation.  Guess we will see this summer.

If so then he would announce his retirement.