General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Do we collectively have a WC hangover?

It's not just at the CSA. I noticed the guys at Northern Futbol haven't done anything since the start of January. One Soccer Today has been very inactive in 2023 and only just started putting out scant bits of content recently, despite us being halfway through January already!

On the YouTube side of things, Josh at JDD TV has been very quiet, whereas USMNT channels like Tactical Manager and 11 Yanks never took much of a hiatus. They continue to pump out content.

I cannot really give our guys the excuse that we don't have much to talk about, because there has been a flurry of transfer news, rumors and signings this January. Even new developments like Poku trailing with Hacken could be a video on its own. Or what about Bustos signing in Sweden? Larin about to move to Cadiz, but with PAOK apparently coming in? Which move would be better? I would watch an analysis on that. Why have things dried up when there's a lot to discuss and be excited about?

This is where I think on the rise is doing a good job filling in the content gaps. Small channel with only 74 subscribers, but he's putting out videos quickly, discussing the same transfer topics that we are. This is good for those who prefer video updates as opposed to coming on here and sifting through player threads, which gets more difficult the more often they go off topic......Got milk?

I think we’re taking a collective breather after the World Cup, but I think the NF guys had said they were going on break anyways. I think they’re dropping their next episode today or tomorrow if I’m not mistaken.

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think we’re taking a collective breather after the World Cup, but I think the NF guys had said they were going on break anyways. I think they’re dropping their next episode today or tomorrow if I’m not mistaken.

Appreciate that update on the NF podcast. I am fiending for content here. 

On the collective breather - I get the same impression as you do.

My question is: Why is it we need a breather? It's not as if we went deep into the Cup like Morocco. 

I suppose we are still newbies, trying to figure this out, but I think a small dose of criticism is healthy to kick our butts into gear. We shouldn't be resting on our laurels while other teams are hitting the ground running. How can we close the gap by doing less than the teams we are chasing?

That is a criticism of the CSA, but I can extend the criticism to our media as well. If we want to be a soccer nation, why are we taking a collective breather? Again, I can appreciate this is a "first time" for everyone, but at the same time it's like, c'mon guys let's be better!

Why no camp poutine?? If we want to get or stay ahead of the USA, why are we sitting when they are playing Serbia and Columbia??  If Herdman skips this camp and then calls the usuals in the spring we will have missed an opportunity to work in a dual or two and the guys who missed out on WC.

Good find with the on the rise you tuber.  But he has to change his hoodie every few vids.  HEHEHE

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Appreciate that update on the NF podcast. I am fiending for content here. 

On the collective breather - I get the same impression as you do.

My question is: Why is it we need a breather? It's not as if we went deep into the Cup like Morocco. 

I suppose we are still newbies, trying to figure this out, but I think a small dose of criticism is healthy to kick our butts into gear. We shouldn't be resting on our laurels while other teams are hitting the ground running. How can we close the gap by doing less than the teams we are chasing?

That is a criticism of the CSA, but I can extend the criticism to our media as well. If we want to be a soccer nation, why are we taking a collective breather? Again, I can appreciate this is a "first time" for everyone, but at the same time it's like, c'mon guys let's be better!

On the audience side, I think it's hard to sell those developments to a general audience so soon after the world cup. The Juniors just ended, the NFL playoffs have just started, NHL standings are starting to solidify- I don't know how many Canadians who started getting interested in the world cup will care about any transfers outside of the top 10 or so teams worldwide. I think that was always going to happen, it's a question of raising that base level of interest. If 25% of the country cared about soccer during the 2021-2022 run, up from 2% prior, we want to make sure that 10% of the country cares about soccer between now and the next exciting development (if such a metric were possible to calculate).

On the media front, I think it's more simple than that- most of soccer media is amateur- they have day jobs, life priorities, etc. For NF, I think at least one of the hosts is still a student, another host has been covering the university games in Lake Placid, I don't think they live in the same city, etc. To record and edit a 90 minute podcast 52 weeks straight with additional pods during the world cup is incredibly taxing, and especially if it isn't paying your rent, you need to take a break at some point, and this is the best time for that.

And to tie it back to the CSA, the CSA isn't exactly giving us much content to discuss at all. No camps, no news, no nothing. I doubt guys like JJD and NF would've taken such a long break if there was a roster to analyze or something.

I'm less familiar with the US landscape, and I don't follow Tactical Manager, but he has 34k YouTube followers and his videos get anywhere from 10-70k views. He has a merch store too. Add in any sponsorship deals he has, and while IdDoubt that pays enough to be his full time job, he can probably make enough money to justify pumping out content every 3-4 days like he does.

Good find with ontherise. Is that the same "ontherise FC" that always sends in questions on the northern futbol pod?

Edited by InglewoodJack

At the risk of beginning an anti-CSA rant...

I get the impression that for them it's 'mission accomplished'.  We qualified for the last WC and for the next one.  Besides, they are hosting a mini-camp poutine - Nick Bontis and the execs have friendly visits to Italian and English tailors to ensure their custom suits will be top notch for 2026.  No need for a January camp for players until 2027.

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

At the risk of beginning an anti-CSA rant...

I get the impression that for them it's 'mission accomplished'.  We qualified for the last WC and for the next one.  Besides, they are hosting a mini-camp poutine - Nick Bontis and the execs have friendly visits to Italian and English tailors to ensure their custom suits will be top notch for 2026.  No need for a January camp for players until 2027.

We should be having a camp. Not doing a Jan camp makes it much harder to integrate prospects like Nelson, Zouhir and JMR.

Just browsing though the various threads and it seems like this is a pretty key year for a lot of our young guys - some/many of whom really need to show progress this year.  Not that it is the “last chance saloon” for any of them - they pretty much all have age on their side.   But you (or at least I) get the feeling that a significant number of guys need to start proving their worth and showing that they aren’t just talented kids who can’t make an impact at the pro level.  

I will start with the guys with ties to TFC just because I know UT secretly follows them all.  I am also omitting a lot of guys playing at a higher level for whom it could be a big year but who have already proven their abilities.

Nelson - needs to show he is maturing into the sort of consistently effective player many of us think he can be.   

Okello - needs to show he can play at this level and effectively use his physical gifts

Priso - needs to regain the momentum he had in the first season before the injury

Akinola- needs to rediscover the form he had on the “MLS is Back” tournament

JMR - needs to start justifying the hype, continue progressing and start defining himself as a player positionally

Russell-Rowe - needs to lock down a lot more minutes and move fully into the first team

Zouhir - needs to start getting first team minutes and showing that he can perform at the MLS level

Koleosho - needs to try and get more time with the first team.  And commit to Canada….

Corbeanu - needs to get a consistent starting role (hopefully in B2) and prove that he isn’t just flash but can be an effective player in a system

Smith - needs to secure consistent playing time at the pro level 

There are lots of other too - Baldisimo, Raposo, Thompson, Rea, Kratts, etc.   Given the number of guys in MLS, it should be a good year to follow the league pretty closely.   

15 hours ago, VinceA said:

We should be having a camp. Not doing a Jan camp makes it much harder to integrate prospects like Nelson, Zouhir and JMR.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'll see your JMR and raise you a JRR, Corbeanu, Choniere, ZBG and Jebbison, cross your fingers.  

Personally, I would prefer young guys like JMR, JRR, Nelson and Zouhir stay with their clubs so that they can compete to lock down a spot. 

Corbeanu is injured and Jebbison wouldn't come.

I'll be interested to see what type of player the US calls.  Will they have young players with a lot of promise but on the fringes of their team or established MLS players?

1 hour ago, h coach said:

In case you are interested, my local Shoppers Drug Mart has big discounts on large Canada Soccer Flags, car flags, water bottles... left over from Qatar promo. Assume other Shoppers are similar.

I have noticed that, too, but you'd think they'd be able to sell the flags at regular price for reasons not soccer.

44 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So, who's interested in causing chaos by getting themselves elected to the Board of Directors?  I say we all work together to get me elected and then I'll bring along a select few of you as personal assistants.  BLAZERS FOR EVERYONE!

In seriousness, I saw that and briefly thought about the idea of submitting an application.   Despite generally being a complete fuckwit, I actually have strong organizational experience, and could probably do a pretty good job of pitching the idea.  

In the end I am sure I won’t bother pursuing it but I did think about it briefly today.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In seriousness, I saw that and briefly thought about the idea of submitting an application.   Despite generally being a complete fuckwit, I actually have strong organizational experience, and could probably do a pretty good job of pitching the idea.  

In the end I am sure I won’t bother pursuing it but I did think about it briefly today.   

I seriously considered it as well.  Could be fun but the bureaucratic nonsense would probably drive me loopy.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Qualifications:

• Record holder for best reputation on Canadian Soccer News
  • 10 CSN badges
  • Holder of CSN Grand Master status

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Would you be able to do the job from the island??  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Would you be able to do the job from the island??  

I assume there would be some sort of travel budget built in - or a virtual option to participate.  You couldn’t limit board members to the GTA or Ottawa or wherever the coven calls home.   Many big organizations will cover the travel costs for people who need to commute for official business.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I assume there would be some sort of travel budget built in - or a virtual option to participate.  You couldn’t limit board members to the GTA or Ottawa or wherever the coven calls home.   Many big organizations will cover the travel costs for people who need to commute for official business.  

You guys finally got internet access on the island?  Congratulations.

Edited by El Hombre

Canada Soccer is also looking for a new chief commercial officer as they let go of Sandra Gage.

Gage spent three years as the chief marketing and communications officer for the 2015 Women's World Cup and U-20 Women's World Cup. She served as chaperone for Davies when he addressed the FIFA Congress in Moscow. Gage was also a member of the 2026 Bid Committee. 

She was instrumental in helping create the so-called "friends and family" World Cup travel package. But as per a CBC article, she wasn't able to corral any of the players to talk the media in the mix zone after their World Cup matches. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-sports/canada-soccer-parts-ways-with-chief-marketing-officer-sandra-gage-6479188

What a difference a year and a half (and a little more) makes!  Thought it would be interesting to take the provisional 60 man roster going into the 2021 Gold Cup (with some minor inclusions and deletion changes) and see where they are now.

Amazing to see so many club changes in a year and a half.

Also something that came to my attention was how many players we had playing for historically significant top clubs in their leagues ie: Bayern, Porto, Celtic, FC Basel, Club Brugge, Red Star Belgrade, Besiktas, Rosenborg, and Malmo FF.

Canada 60 Man List - Former and Current Club (June 18, 2021-February 9 2023)

Sam Adekugbe NOR / Valerenga/Hatayspor
Tesho Akindele USA / Orlando City SC/Retired
Ayo Akinola CAN / Toronto FC
Scott Arfield SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
Theo Bair CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC/St Johnstone
Michael Baldisimo CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC/San Jose Earthquakes
Zorhan Bassong CAN / CF Montréal/FC Argeș Pitești
Clément Bayiha CAN / CF Montréal/York United
Milan Borjan SRB / Red Star Belgrade
Zachary Brault-Guillard CAN / CF Montréal
Charles-Andreas Brym Unattached/FC Eindhoven
Tajon Buchanan USA / New England Revolution/Club Brugge