General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 12/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, Sal333 said:

Go read the comments and you'll have 2nd thoughts about it being an obvious choice.

Most of the comments I am seeing on social media are from uninformed morons who aren’t aware that the team qualified for the World Cup in 2022, or twits throwing out charges of “misogyny” because the women’s team didn’t win this award this year for their Olympic win last year. The only legit argument against I see is the Davis Cup win.

In any case, I won’t bother to correct the haters on their  misinformed arguments, they can cry and whine about misogyny or the team losing every game they played in 2022 all they like. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

16 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Wtf is a Davies cup ?

I think that’s why they didn’t win. 90% of Canadians don’t know what it is, or that there is such a thing as international tennis, and that’s probably being generous. Whereas the entire country was behind the canMNT. I think that’s the difference. One team uplifted a nation and caught their attention while the other won a championship but didn’t capture the nation.

24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Those who argue that the Davis Cup team should have won the award have a point.  I might have voted that way if I had a vote.

Auger-Alliasime won the best male athlete, and frankly, he was the only guy to play well, Shapo wasn't sharp at all. 

They were playing and winning just before the Canada-Croatia match.

21 hours ago, RS said:

Davis Cup team should have won, but more mainstream attention for the MNT is good.

Thing about Davis Cup tennis is it’s not exactly a team sport - it’s a group of individuals playing singly or in pairs and totalling their combined points.  Would the US Ryder Cup team win Team of the Year in that nation?  Possible - but only if every other team in the true “ream sports” was abysmal…

Edited by GasPed

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

Thing about Davis Cup tennis is it’s not exactly a team sport - it’s a group of individuals playing singly or in pairs and totalling their combined points.  Would the US Ryder Cup team win Team of the Year in that nation?  Possible - but only if every other team in the true “ream sports” was abysmal…

I think if tiger woods came back to captain the US team that won a dramatic Ryder Cup, they could win “team of the year” for the US, especially if like the warriors won an easy NBA title, Yankees won the WS, some mid team won a boring super bowl and a Canadian team won the Stanley cup for example. 

On 12/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sal333 said:

Go read the comments and you'll have 2nd thoughts about it being an obvious choice.

In part, I was being facetious.  Only four votes separated first and second, so a tough one for the voters.  

I would have been truly very happy to see the Davis Cup team win because I really like tennis.  The only issue for me had nothing to do with the team but Sportsnet's half ass efforts in coverage and scheduling  of the semifinal and final (or maybe it was my provider Shaw who dropped the tennis ball?).  It was arguably the least hyped and least watched major world sport championship involving a Canadian team in recent memory.

With the format change (best of three instead of five, neutral site), and MAYBE the banning of Russia allowing us in as a replacement (like the Gold Cup 2000 coin toss bounce), these might have worked against the team as well, who knows?

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

In part, I was being facetious.  Only four votes separated first and second, so a tough one for the voters.  

I would have been truly very happy to see the Davis Cup team win because I really like tennis.  The only issue for me had nothing to do with the team but Sportsnet's half ass efforts in coverage and scheduling  of the semifinal and final (or maybe my provider Shaw dropped tennis ball?).  It was arguably the least hyped and least watched major world sport championship involving a Canadian team in recent memory.

With the format change (best of three instead of five, neutral site), and MAYBE the banning of Russia allowing us in as a replacement (like the Gold Cup 2000 coin toss bounce), these might have worked against the team as well, who knows?

More that the tournament organizers need to take their lumps.

One week gap between the Group Stage and the knockout rounds. That does a  lot to overshadow the media coverage.

2 hours ago, DoyleG said:

More that the tournament organizers need to take their lumps.

One week gap between the Group Stage and the knockout rounds. That does a  lot to overshadow the media coverage.

You realise that the new tournament model is in the hands of Gerard Pique's company Kosmos?

Some laud him for saving the idea of the Davis Cup, in decline, others complain about details.

It has gone a few years in Covid, and this year in the middle of the World Cup. It has been good for Canada. We've lost the amazing home crowds, although there was a great ambience and even Canada fans in Malaga. And it seems the players generally like it being done like a tournament, instead of dropping everything for the Davis a few times a year (Federer regularly took a pass, even when Warinka was top 10 and they had a real chance of winning). The 3-set matches mean you can do an entire elimination in a day, but you lose the epic battles over a weekend, and by day 2 teams are still alive.

For me it's a major accomplishment, a great step forward in Canadian sport, maybe like when Ryder Hesjedal won the Giro de Italia. I like it when certain pioneering victories from younger Canadians feed off each other and they can admire each other.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:47 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You realise that the new tournament model is in the hands of Gerard Pique's company Kosmos?

Some laud him for saving the idea of the Davis Cup, in decline, others complain about details.

It has gone a few years in Covid, and this year in the middle of the World Cup. It has been good for Canada. We've lost the amazing home crowds, although there was a great ambience and even Canada fans in Malaga. And it seems the players generally like it being done like a tournament, instead of dropping everything for the Davis a few times a year (Federer regularly took a pass, even when Warinka was top 10 and they had a real chance of winning). The 3-set matches mean you can do an entire elimination in a day, but you lose the epic battles over a weekend, and by day 2 teams are still alive.

Regardless of the format change, it's too bad Sportsnet (or Shaw?) still kept it's scheduled programming of Cooking with the Raptors or the perpetual loop of Misplays of the Month during the time when the semi was slated to be played, then later suddenly shifted the finals viewing to different channels, messing up pvr-ing for those unable to watch  from the start.

I liked the old format a lot, however.  Raonic, Pospisil and Nestor playing the semi in Belgrade vs the Joker and his mates in 2013 was terrific viewing.  

On 1/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, h coach said:

EXCLUSIVE: How did a World Cup star end up homeless on the streets of London? The extraordinary tale of Welsh footballer Paul James - who played for Canada at Mexico 86

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11588855/EXCL-did-former-World-Cup-star-end-streets-London.html

This just illustrates how temporary a career at the highest level can be.

On 1/1/2023 at 12:47 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me it's a major accomplishment, a great step forward in Canadian sport, maybe like when Ryder Hesjedal won the Giro de Italia. I like it when certain pioneering victories from younger Canadians feed off each other and they can admire each other.

This rambling goes on and not explaining why there was a 1 month gap between the Group Stage and the Knockout Round.