General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We’re officially out of the top 50. Not that FIFA rankings matter, especially now, but it’s symbolic of the work to be done. Time for pats on the head is over.

Yes they do matter for many reasons like appearance fee prices, players moving to foreign clubs and oh yea the difference of us being the USA group vs being ours. 

On 12/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, gigi riva said:

My MNT player of the year goes to  Tajon 

Love Tajon, but Eustaquio was by far our most important and most consistent player throughout WCQ AND is having a spectacular year at Porto AND he was excellent in Qatar until the injury. I can see Tajon winning this some day, but the Stache wins this year.

For us to take the next step, we need to play better opponents in the build up to 2026 and we also need more depth players being regulars in better leagues in order to build more competition for spots.  Being able to play in the Copa America is a really good start but we have to be really honest about our depth and not overrate some of them.

In the aftermath of "Tasting the Soup," followed by the dour FloroballI era, I posted on here many moons ago that for us to have any chance of making a WC, we needed offensive talents to emerge, game changers who could make something out of nothing.  We've now got those kind of guys and though we definitely always need more, we really need to augment the midfield and back line positions.  A few of these incumbent back ups we had in Qatar I don't see being part of the picture in 2026.  If they are but have stayed at the relatively same league level they are at now, then I think we might struggle to make the impact we all would like to see.

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was actually curious who chooses the men's and u20 player of the year? Honestly, I hope it's not Davies. He does not deserve it this year, but he is by the far the biggest name and most marketable so I expect he will get it.

There's a media vote for the men's and women's players of the year, and that's combined with a coaches' vote to select the two winners.

41 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was actually curious who chooses the men's and u20 player of the year? Honestly, I hope it's not Davies. He does not deserve it this year, but he is by the far the biggest name and most marketable so I expect he will get it.

He turned 22 this year...does that not make him ineligible? Also, do you watch Bayern? The kid is improving all the time. His defending is beyond ridiculous at this point and his ability to draw more and more attention in the final 3rd is making things easier and easier for guys like Musiala, Gnabery, Sane etc. I'm always curious as to why people tend to want to take him down a peg...is it because he's getting so much attention, is it because we already expect him to carry Canada to heights that are way beyond the realm of reason at this point...is it because he didn't? Anyways, point being, if he is eligible it's not even a question. 

Edited by PegCityCam