General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

18 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I know I'm jumping the gun a little (we still have one more game at Qatar) but I took a look at our roster for the next four years.

Most likely Gone in 2026

Borjan

Cavallini

Hoilett

Hutch

Osorio

Vitoria

Wotherspoon

Maybe/maybe not on the squad

Fraser

Kaye

Larin

Pantemis

Piette

Foot in the door

Kennedy

Cornelius

Laryea

Millar

Ugbo

Waterman

Crepeau (not in the definite column cause of the grave injury)

Definite

Adekugbe

Buchanan

David

Davies

Eustaquio

Johnston

Kone

Miller

St. Clair.

So as you can see we have a lot of holes to fill. There can be slight changes in the groups but for the most part this is what we have to work with. 9 players in the definite column.  7 in the foot in the door. At best we have 16 players that can play. But how many are of WC quality?

This tells me in the next 3 and a half years we need to start integrating our up and coming young players: the Nelsons, Jebbisons, Koleoshos, Corbeanus.

And convert all players under 19 and over 6' into CB's unconditionally.

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

For as good as we have looked and as great as it is that we got a goal. We are currently tied for dead last in the tournament with Qatar.

Admittedly I didn't think we would make it out of the group, but something about being 31 or 32 pit of 32 teams isn't great.  If we can at least get a point we should finish around 27-29. Still not great, but slightly more respectable.

Qatar and us are the only 2 teams to start with 2 losses. So there are 30 teams that already have at least 1 point. Getting a draw in our last game will not guarantee us a top 29 spot. Especially since the teams with heavy losses (Costa Rica losing 7-0, Iran losing 6-2, Australia losing 4-1) have all also won a game.

But yeah, I am mostly hoping we don't finish with 0 points now. We've met one of my goals by scoring a goal, and we've failed at my biggest goal of getting out of the group. A point and a win are still on the table, hopefully we achieve one or two of those.

I don't know what's happening with the FIFA Nations Leagues after next spring but we need to go back to playing bigger time opponents in friendlies outside of CONCACAF as we build towards 2026.  Even if we are playing on the road in UEFA, COMNEBOL, CAF, or at a neutral European site, we need to play against a higher calibre of opponent more regularly in such matches.

I realize that this is easier said than done, but the next step involves finding a way to get back to this.

Edited by BearcatSA

I think potentially with the emergence of Loturi (and maybe Paton if he can also starting playing more regularly), Batyrev (who transfermarkt lists as a central player) and the continued development of Priso, Nelson as a CM, and whoever else might pop up in the pipeline I think the team will eventually move back to using 3 CMs on the regular. Perhaps a 4-3-3.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

My feeling is only a TFC fan would go out of his way to single out Miller as the issue on this roster.

And as most know, I say this as a Canadian soccer fan.  My allegiance, in order is:

• CANMNT
  • CFM
  • TFC & VWC
  • Followed by a bunch of EU teams I follow regularly, mostly with CANMNT members.

No interest in CPL?

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I know I'm jumping the gun a little (we still have one more game at Qatar) but I took a look at our roster for the next four years.

Most likely Gone in 2026

Borjan

Cavallini

Hoilett

Hutch

Osorio

Vitoria

Wotherspoon

Maybe/maybe not on the squad

Fraser

Kaye

Larin

Pantemis

Piette

Foot in the door

Kennedy

Cornelius

Laryea

Millar

Ugbo

Waterman

Crepeau (not in the definite column cause of the grave injury)

Definite

Adekugbe

Buchanan

David

Davies

Eustaquio

Johnston

Kone

Miller

St. Clair.

So as you can see we have a lot of holes to fill. There can be slight changes in the groups but for the most part this is what we have to work with. 9 players in the definite column.  7 in the foot in the door. At best we have 16 players that can play. But how many are of WC quality?

This tells me in the next 3 and a half years we need to start integrating our up and coming young players: the Nelsons, Jebbisons, Koleoshos, Corbeanus.

I guess I am more optimistic.  Still obviously some holes to fill but we have good depth and/or prospects in a lot of areas.  Guys like Laryea and Millar aren’t just possibilities IMO, they are guys that will be in their prime and competing for spots next cycle.  Regardless of any club silliness with Richie, he is on my team sheet every time when healthy.  And given four more years, I suspect Millar will be playing at an even higher level than he is now.  If either of those guys get displaced it will only because we are oozing quality-in-depth in their positions. 

Keeper - I am giving Max the benefit of the doubt and think he will be back to 100%.   And Dayne will mature into a monster by then. Between Hasal, Pantemis, Breza etc we basically need one more guy to step up to a level where we would be comfortable with him in the role of third keeper.   

Attack - David and Ugbo will both be in their primes   Larin will be 31 so could easily still be in the picture as a wily vet. Akinola could even rediscover his MLS-is-back form by then - or at least mature into a bench option.  This doesn’t even consider Jebbo coming on board.  

Wide - Davies, Buchanan, Adekugbe, Laryea - nuff said. Plus Corbeanu will likely be playing at a very respectable level and Koleosho might sign up.

Central mid - Staq and kone are locks and I would bet that one of Nelson or Rutty emerge in this position.   Plus MAK and Piette may still be in contention (31 and 32 isn’t exactly geriatric).  To put it in perspective, Hutch is still playing at 39, JdG retired at 35 and Stalteri played for the Nats until he was 32.   There is no reason why we should be planning retirement parties when guys are approaching 30  - especially if there aren’t tons of young prospects pushing them out onto the ice flow.  

Defence - this is where I will concede our lack of depth.  Miller and Johnston are young.  Cornelius and Kennedy could be there for sure.  But ultimately it is why we need guys like Justin Smith to step up and succeed.   

But overall that is far more encouraging than worrying.  Throw in the unknown talents that we have no idea about yet, plus dual Nats who will want a crack at a World Cup, and I am good with our prospects for 2026.  Hell, I have been debating trying to find a place where I can get $50 on us winning the whole goddamn thing.   

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But overall that is far more encouraging than worrying.  Throw in the unknown talents that we have no idea about yet, plus dual Nats who will want a crack at a World Cup, and I am good with our prospects for 2026.  Hell, I have been debating trying to find a place where I can get $50 on us winning the whole goddamn thing.   

That is an optimistic take all right. 🙂

Not to pour too much cold water on it, but consider the team that just beat us - they're 4 years removed from the prime of their "Golden Generation" who went to the finals in 2018.  Almost every single member of that team was a starter on a Big 5 league team, and their midfield (Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozovic) were starters on Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter.  It was the same for the champion France team from 2018 - every one of their players was a starter in a Big 5 league. 

Then look at the roster of the favourites this year (Brazil).  It's remarkable (and frightening) how almost every one of them are literally from the biggest clubs in the world.  As much as I want to think we'll be better in 2026, I don't think there's any chance our roster will look like that.  And even though desire and grit will take you far, as we've seen, in the end there's no substitute for talent.  All that said, I do hope you find someone to take your bet and I hope you win it.  😉 

5 hours ago, costarg said:

My feeling is only a TFC fan would go out of his way to single out Miller as the issue on this roster.

And as most know, I say this as a Canadian soccer fan.  My allegiance, in order is:

• CANMNT
  • CFM
  • TFC & VWC
  • Followed by a bunch of EU teams I follow regularly, mostly with CANMNT members.

not at all.im a CNMT 1st 2nd and 3rd,and tfc., 4th.other than the canadians on cfm and vwc i couldnt care less about those clubs.i really like miller,he has improved alot and is a toronto guy, if we dont improve  our cb and dm positions we will never take the next step

• CANMNT
  • CFM
  • TFC & VWC

not at all.im a CNMT 1st 2nd and 3rd,and tfc., 4th.other than the canadians on cfm and vwc i couldnt care less about those clubs.i really like miller,he has improved alot and is a toronto guy, if we dont improve  our cb and dm positions we will never take the next step

• CANMNT
  • CFM
  • TFC & VWC

double post

Edited by reggietfc

5 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

6 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

You were a little vague. How do you rate your allegiance to the Canadian MLS teams and CNMT? Sorry if you posted it and I missed it.

I wanna apologize about signaling you out.  I just felt bad for Miller, he's one of the last guys I'd hang out to dry after the last two games.  I totally agree with you that the CB situation is an issue here, but i don't feel good picking on individual performances, the guys played their hearts and bodies out.  The system is what failed them.  Any and all blame goes to playing a two man midfield (with a 39yr old) and two strikers against one of the best midfields in the world.  And I say this as a massive Herdman fan.  But we've been saying playing Larin in favor of a 3rd mid would be a disaster since the groups came out months ago.  Can't believe Herdman fell for it, the arrogance is appalling.  His biggest mistake since playing a 70% Godinho instead of ZBG at the Gold Cup.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

I wanna apologize about signaling you out.  I just felt bad for Miller, he's one of the last guys I'd hang out to dry after the last two games.  I totally agree with you that the CB situation is an issue here, but i don't feel good picking on individual performances, the guys played their hearts and bodies out.  The system is what failed them.  Any and all blame goes to playing a two man midfield (with a 39yr old) and two strikers against one of the best midfields in the world.  And I say this as a massive Herdman fan.  But we've been saying playing Larin in favor of a 3rd mid would be a disaster since the groups came out months ago.  Can't believe Herdman fell for it, the arrogance is appalling.  His biggest mistake since playing a 70% Godinho instead of ZBG at the Gold Cup.

no worries my friend,yes for sure the tactics were wrong yesterday,