General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Pray we get invited to the Copa America.

Gonna be hard with USA and Mexico both probably lobbying for what will be two spots for three countries. Also who knows if CONMNEBOL decide to go to Asia again for an invitee.

edit: Apparently they might run it as a 16 team tourney. That would get everyone in.

Edited by VinceA

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Gonna be hard with USA and Mexico both probably lobbying for what will be two spots for three countries. Also who knows if CONMNEBOL decide to go to Asia again for an invitee.

IMO FIFA would want CONMEBOL to invite all 3 especially if we don't have to go through qualification maybe even make it a 16 team tournament.

2 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Canada wasn’t getting into pot 2. Let’s be honest this was a pretty favorable group for Canada. Belgium has been atrocious.

And a lot of teams in pot 2 didn't deserve to be in pot 2, that's my point: FIFA rankings is pretty flawed. And honestly no, I don't think it was that good of a group. Even accepting the pools as they are, I would have taken any group except F and mayyyybbeee H over it.

26 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

well thats a problem then,he is ok for concacaf i guess

I think he just needs more experience playing world-class opposition and could benefit from a loan to Bologna. Remember, Miller, Johnston and other MLS players haven't really been tested by the very best yet on a consistent basis. Tajon demonstrated his quality, but he is gaining valuable Champions League experience at the moment. I'm tempted to throw in the towel with our backline, but I really believe Miller and Johnston can raise their game.  Croatia was runner-up at the last WC. We are talking about a very, very good team. Today's game was a stinker, but I'd still give our boys a chance to improve. Time is on their side. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

17 minutes ago, phil03 said:

And a lot of teams in pot 2 didn't deserve to be in pot 2, that's my point: FIFA rankings is pretty flawed. And honestly no, I don't think it was that good of a group. Even accepting the pools as they are, I would have taken any group except F and mayyyybbeee H over it.

Sure, you’ll be hard pressed to find many people that like fifa’s rankings. That being said this is the second World Cup where they’ve implemented this system. This isn’t subjective, the pots teams got is the pot they deserved. Everyone’s on a level playing field. And it’s better than the previous system.

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

Sure, you’ll be hard pressed to find many people that like fifa’s rankings. That being said this is the second World Cup where they’ve implemented this system. I. This isn’t subjective, the pots teams got is the pot they deserved. II. Everyone’s on a level playing field. And it’s better than the previous system.

II. is true but it doesn't make I. necessarily as a result if the system making the level playing field is dumb. 

We should make a rule that if you play with a tampon stuck up your nose,  you don't get to represent Canada anymore.

I joke, i joke. lol.

This stings fellas, but overall i am freakin stoked about this team going forward.  The future is bright boys and we are just getting started.

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

Based KJ.

Yep, completely based. I'll just repost what I wrote on youtube...granted I was already pretty emotional at the time but I just think this reaction is complete and utter dog shit:

C'mon KJ really?! Disappointed we couldn't extend the importance of this to a third game?! Talk about overdramatic and a complete load of BS. You yourself said that Canada should simply enjoy this moment and not to expect much in terms of results...and now we're supposed to be disappointed? What a joke. This is double speak at its lowest and you should be ashamed. Nobody, including yourself had any real faith the third game would see Canada still in the hunt. Well, perhaps Herdman and the boys, but that's it. We were hoping for a goal, and to look at least half decent in our first two matches...and I'd argue we did more than that. I'm impressed and very proud of our team and what they've accomplished and am super excited to see what they've got in the tank against Morocco. Stop pretending like this is a poor showing or a bad result and go cry into your own pillow. Don't need your crocodile tears here.

I think KJ is great and to be fair this is simply his reaction. 

I think KJ is straight freestyling his disappointment. I don't think we're that far. Talent level yes we're not on the same level but with desire we almost made up the difference. Ultimately it was our mental preparedness for the scenario of going up against a top side that cost us. We simply are not mature enough. KJ makes it seem like there's a huge gulf in talent and player development where while there's a difference, it was our poise and spatial preparedness under pressure which cost us. I think his commentary is way too moody. We all wanted a Cinderella story but this team outperformed at least my expectations and I see us gaining some necessary scar tissue for future improvement. This team is still a teenager and is still learning and four years is a long time to during which to build and mature. I'm very proud of the way our players went forward and represented this country. We've been starving for this kind of competitiveness and IMO we're ahead of schedule.

Edited by Lansdude

For as good as we have looked and as great as it is that we got a goal. We are currently tied for dead last in the tournament with Qatar.

Admittedly I didn't think we would make it out of the group, but something about being 31 or 32 pit of 32 teams isn't great.  If we can at least get a point we should finish around 27-29. Still not great, but slightly more respectable.

The question now is who we field for the game against Morocco. We need to try to win, but we need to begin building for the future now.

Ideas:

Leave out Hutchinson - a Canadian legend, but he is now tired out for this tournament.

Start Osorio - we need to see his creativity at the start

Start Kone - experience is a great thing for a young guy

Rest Vitoria and start Waterman or Cornelius

Start St Clair over Borjan - again experience for the future.

Rest Johnston for a half.

Starters:

Larin, Davies

Osorio, Eustaquio, Kone, Buchanan, 

Adegkube, Waterman, Miller, Laryea

St. Clair

Subs to try to get into the match: Wotherspoon, Cornelius, Johnston, Fraser

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Watching the very impressive 20 year old Gvardiol at CB (who also played in all of Croatia's matches at the Euros last year) reinforces the need to have some more similarly aged guys coming up through the youth ranks to provide competition for spots as we build towards the future

He’s 20, but he already has 100+ games played at a level few of our players ever reach. Of course it would be helpful to have a few more players like that. 

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He’s 20, but he already has 100+ games played at a level few of our players ever reach. Of course it would be helpful to have a few more players like that. 

He's a prodigy, so to speak, and probably will be on a big money move away from his club after this year, so maybe not the best example, but I think back to when Henry broke through at a young age at TFC.  I am looking at younger guys showing enough chops to garner starts at a good league level.  

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Yep, completely based. I'll just repost what I wrote on youtube...granted I was already pretty emotional at the time but I just think this reaction is complete and utter dog shit:

C'mon KJ really?! Disappointed we couldn't extend the importance of this to a third game?! Talk about overdramatic and a complete load of BS. You yourself said that Canada should simply enjoy this moment and not to expect much in terms of results...and now we're supposed to be disappointed? What a joke. This is double speak at its lowest and you should be ashamed. Nobody, including yourself had any real faith the third game would see Canada still in the hunt. Well, perhaps Herdman and the boys, but that's it. We were hoping for a goal, and to look at least half decent in our first two matches...and I'd argue we did more than that. I'm impressed and very proud of our team and what they've accomplished and am super excited to see what they've got in the tank against Morocco. Stop pretending like this is a poor showing or a bad result and go cry into your own pillow. Don't need your crocodile tears here.

I think KJ is great and to be fair this is simply his reaction. 

In my brain, I knew this was probably the reality of what would happen at the World Cup.

In my heart, I'm very disappointed, and a small country like Croatia shouldn't steamroll us like that.

15 hours ago, reggietfc said:

miller is not a starter on a world cup squad,he is a 3 or 4 on a roster

My feeling is only a TFC fan would go out of his way to single out Miller as the issue on this roster.

And as most know, I say this as a Canadian soccer fan.  My allegiance, in order is:

• CANMNT
  • CFM
  • TFC & VWC
  • Followed by a bunch of EU teams I follow regularly, mostly with CANMNT members.

Edited by costarg

20 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

With our chances of advancing completely dashed, I'm genuinely curious to know who is going to replace Borjan and Vitoria at the next WC. 

Indeed, this is the big question.  Borjan a little less concerning than Vitoria. 

Good news is if there is a dual-nat out there looking to contribute to an exciting project, we don't need to work too hard to convince them anymore after the way we showed up.  What I would like to see is Tomori and Cristante bump into each other in at elevator and ponder what could'be been if both had commited to Canada and were our starting CB duo. 

I know I'm jumping the gun a little (we still have one more game at Qatar) but I took a look at our roster for the next four years.

Most likely Gone in 2026

Borjan

Cavallini

Hoilett

Hutch

Osorio

Vitoria

Wotherspoon

Maybe/maybe not on the squad

Fraser

Kaye

Larin

Pantemis

Piette

Foot in the door

Kennedy

Cornelius

Laryea

Millar

Ugbo

Waterman

Crepeau (not in the definite column cause of the grave injury)

Definite

Adekugbe

Buchanan

David

Davies

Eustaquio

Johnston

Kone

Miller

St. Clair.

So as you can see we have a lot of holes to fill. There can be slight changes in the groups but for the most part this is what we have to work with. 9 players in the definite column.  7 in the foot in the door. At best we have 16 players that can play. But how many are of WC quality?

This tells me in the next 3 and a half years we need to start integrating our up and coming young players: the Nelsons, Jebbisons, Koleoshos, Corbeanus.

Edited by Sal333