General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

I'll always despise the CSA comms teams for (among other reasons) their "Kings of CONCACAF" bullshit. All that did was open us up to ridicule, especially now after being the first CONCACAF team eliminated from the WC.

Anyone with a brain could see despite their struggles the USA and Mexico are still on the whole better than us.

Another 4 year wait to get back to the World Cup but saving grace we are hosting it in our backyard but with that in mind it begs the question of where this team goes from here. Or who do we bring in because if Herdman is gone, then who to replace him as manager? Or if he stays, which players come into the team as a part of the new generation heading into 2026?

18 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Another 4 year wait to get back to the World Cup but saving grace we are hosting it in our backyard but with that in mind it begs the question of where this team goes from here. Or who do we bring in because if Herdman is gone, then who to replace him as manager? Or if he stays, which players come into the team as a part of the new generation heading into 2026?

Good questions. 4 years is an eternity in football. Who knows how many players will pop out of the wood work from now till 26. 

As for Herdman he is not going anywhere. If you have heard any of his interviews he does not care about the money. He cares about the project. This one is not doen. There is no way he misses out on a home WC. He is out after 26. 

The sport is growing, new players will come. Lets hope those players play central Defense. We have everything else covered. 

56 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'll always despise the CSA comms teams for (among other reasons) their "Kings of CONCACAF" bullshit. All that did was open us up to ridicule, especially now after being the first CONCACAF team eliminated from the WC.

Anyone with a brain could see despite their struggles the USA and Mexico are still on the whole better than us.

Not disagreeing with the overall sentiment but honestly, a lot of it is up to the draw and FIFA rankings being a shitty way to make pools. Had we been in the US or Mexico's group and played the same way we did we definitely wouldn't be at 0 points now.

Edited by phil03

1 minute ago, phil03 said:

Not disagreeing with the overall sentiment but honestly, a lot of it is up to the draw and FIFA rankings being a shitty way to make pools. Had we being in the US and Mexico's group and played the same way we did we definitely wouldn't be at 0 points now.

Probably, but nuance isn't a thing online and Canada made themselves easy targets for ridicule by our region for the King of Concacaf moniker and internationally because of Herdman's comments.

Canada for 2026 being that we are hosts and if we automatically qualify as hosts for the 26 World Cup in our backyard for USA/Canada/Mexico we get better seeding position as a Pot 1 team and if Infantino is serious about 4 team Groups we most likely end up with a more favorable group 

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Probably, but nuance isn't a thing online and Canada made themselves easy targets for ridicule by our region for the King of Concacaf moniker and internationally because of Herdman's comments.

To some extent yes for the Kings of CONCACAF monicker but Herdman's comments haven't really been widely reported outside of Croatia from what I have seen so I am not too worried on that.

26 minutes ago, VinceA said:

IMO that's actually very Canadian. We keep telling ourselves that we're too modest and need to brag more because we compare ourselves to the loudest Americans, and as a result we end up overdoing it.

58 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Not disagreeing with the overall sentiment but honestly, a lot of it is up to the draw and FIFA rankings being a shitty way to make pools. Had we been in the US or Mexico's group and played the same way we did we definitely wouldn't be at 0 points now.

Canada wasn’t getting into pot 2. Let’s be honest this was a pretty favorable group for Canada. Belgium has been atrocious.

As far as 2026, which players need to be phased out to make room for younger players?

1- Borjan will be 39 by 2026 so he's most likely out

2- Vitoria will also be 39 years old by 2026 so he too is phased out

3- Atiba will be 43 years old by 2026 so he is phased out

4- Wotherspoon will be 36 years old so he's gone 

5- Hoilett will be 36 years old by 2026 so hes gone 

2026 my new captain for the national team with the armband would be: Alphonso Davies who will be 25 years old by then

Players to bring in for 2026 or worth taking a look at

Breza

Jebbison (if you can get to switch nationality)

Hasal 

Sturing

Halbouni 

Bassong

Abatneh

Marshall-Rutty

Farsi 

Okello

Nelson

Brym

Koleosho 

Sabbatasso (depending on nationality switch)

Mitrovic

20 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

As far as 2026, which players need to be phased out to make room for younger players?

1- Borjan will be 39 by 2026 so he's most likely out

2- Vitoria will also be 39 years old by 2026 so he too is phased out

3- Atiba will be 43 years old by 2026 so he is phased out

4- Wotherspoon will be 36 years old so he's gone 

5- Hoilett will be 36 years old by 2026 so hes gone 

2026 my new captain for the national team with the armband would be: Alphonso Davies who will be 25 years old by then

Players to bring in for 2026 or worth taking a look at

Breza

Jebbison (if you can get to switch nationality)

Hasal 

Sturing

Halbouni 

Bassong

Abatneh

Marshall-Rutty

Farsi 

Okello

Nelson

Brym

Koleosho 

Sabbatasso (depending on nationality switch)

Mitrovic

All those older guys will not be around, but neither will a lot of guys currently in their late 20s. There will be a lot of change, but that is normal. Eustaquio should be there, though, and he should captain imo. Mitrovic chose Serbia, so that ship has sailed. But new young talent will pop up.

Core guys who will likely be there in 2026 are Davies, Buchanan, David, Eustaquio and Kone. Maybes are Johnston, Miller, Millar and Ugbo. Apart from that group, I'm really not sure about anyone else. 

Edit: I'll just add that this is why I think we should bring younger players as depth instead of out-of-form older players. Doing the latter serves no purpose, as you can't trust them on the field and you know they won't be around for the next cycle. I'm particularly annoyed by not seeing Corbeanu there. And ZBG, frankly, made a very good case for himself to be included. Both these players could have learned from the WC experience and taken it to the next one. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

11 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

All those older guys will not be around, but neither will a lot of guys currently in their late 20s. There will be a lot of change, but that is normal. Eustaquio should be there, though, and he should captain imo. Mitrovic chose Serbia, so that ship has sailed. But new young talent will pop up.

Core guys who will likely be there in 2026 are Davies, Buchanan, David, Eustaquio and Kone. Maybes are Johnston, Miller, Millar and Ugbo. Apart from that group, I'm really not sure about anyone else. 

Edit: I'll just add that this is why I think we should bring younger players as depth instead of out-of-form older players. Doing the latter serves no purpose, as you can't trust them on the field and you know they won't be around for the next cycle. I'm particularly annoyed by not seeing Corbeanu there. And ZBG, frankly, made a very good case for himself to be included. Both these players could have learned from the WC experience and taken it to the next one. 

Corbeanu and Bair and even ZBG could also make a case for 2026

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Don't know about you guys, but I really want to see the likes of Waterman, Cornelius, Ugbo, Wotherspoon and others get their WC moments since there's nothing to play for.

Really I just want to see the chaos ensue.

I think you'll find that many here disagree.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Don't know about you guys, but I really want to see the likes of Waterman, Cornelius, Ugbo, Wotherspoon and others get their WC moments since there's nothing to play for.

Really I just want to see the chaos ensue.

I’d be okay with those players coming off the bench but I still think we need to play our best options if healthy to start.  I’m anticipating a couple changes for sure but we’re here to try and win.

Edited by Corazon

Nothing to play for???  FFS, this is the WC, our 3 games on the highest stage and we havnt been here for 36 years.....how about our first win???   Wouldnt that be nice???  Roll over because we arent getting out of the group???  Screw that.  if we are down in the second half sure, empty the benches, Kaye, Piette, Ugbo, Millar etc but give it our best shot.    

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Nothing to play for???  FFS, this is the WC, our 3 games on the highest stage and we havnt been here for 36 years.....how about our first win???   Wouldnt that be nice???  Roll over because we arent getting out of the group???  Screw that.  if we are down in the second half sure, empty the benches, Kaye, Piette, Ugbo, Millar etc but give it our best shot.    

I largely agree that a win would be nice, but putting out Kaye is not giving it our best shot. Sorry. 

"nothing to play for" was the wrong choice of words on my part.

My point is more I'd like to see some minutes for guys, particularly in the midfield who weren't given a chance to help out when we were still fighting for top two. Must have sucked for them to be glued to the bench when Atiba and Eustaquio went back to back with both not being 100%.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

"nothing to play for" was the wrong choice of words on my part.

My point is more I'd like to see some minutes for guys, particularly in the midfield who weren't given a chance to help out when we were still fighting for top two. Must have sucked for them to be glued to the bench when Atiba and Eustaquio went back to back with both not being 100%.

We can still f croatia if we try

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Ultimately I wish Herdman had used more of the pool during 2022.

Relying on the same guys (especially when injuries started to hit) with 3 games in a week coming up at the WC eventually played a part in unravelling us. 

Some of it was club situations, injuries and a lack of depth though. We alos did have a game that was purely MLS players. We also had windows during WCQ that key players were missing.

4 hours ago, Atlantic said:

One thing I’ll say is that it would be nice to get some harder friendlies between now and 2026 to really test our defense. They are more than good enough for CONCACAF and stepped up to the occasion vs Belgium but today the entire back line looked really bad. 

Pray we get invited to the Copa America.