General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

In general I do believe soccer is a meritocracy at the club level.

The best players will eventually end up on the best teams.

That being said its hard not to feel like some of our players should be playing way above MLS.

Another thing I find funny is that we started 3 MLS players (and subbed on 2) and they did not look out of place against the World number 2 ranked team. Meanwhile American fans always bitch about their MLS players.

I didn’t want to bring this up yesterday but has anyone noticed the comments by Stephanie Labbe about how many more Instagram posts the csa has posted vs when the women had big medal games? Then I see yesterday Kaylyn Kyle tweets, “Kamal Miller has been a joke.” She said today she meant he was on fire. I really believe she didn’t think he was a joke, but has anyone ever heard the term joke be used as a compliment? I’m so confused why she would post that. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

I didn’t want to bring this up yesterday but has anyone noticed the comments by Stephanie Labbe about how many more Instagram posts the csa has posted vs when the women had big medal games? Then I see yesterday Kaylyn Kyle tweets, “Kamal Miller has been a joke.” She said today she meant he was on fire. I really believe she didn’t think he was a joke, but has anyone ever heard the term joke be used as a compliment? I’m so confused why she would post that. 

She seems to have really doubled down on the fact that it was intended as a compliment so maybe just chalk it up to a stupid communication effort.  

13 hours ago, narduch said:

A)That being said its hard not to feel like some of our players should be playing way above MLS.

B) Another thing I find funny is that we started 3 MLS players (and subbed on 2) and they did not look out of place against the World number 2 ranked team. Meanwhile American fans always bitch about their MLS players.

I think sentence B is affected by your sentence A. Whereas the American MLS players are truly MLS level, Canadian MLS players, because "Canadians are not soccer players", are really a level or two above the MLS level.

A perfect example of this prejudice was the rating that Fotmob gave each player in yesterday's game. The Canucks were given for the most part mid 6s and three were given low 7s. The Belgians were almost all given high 7s. Even though I put little stock into Fotmob, it does reveal a prejudiced perception in a lot of the soccer world.

Edited by Sal333

Interesting to read all the international reaction online and in social media amongst those who knew nothing about the players on are squad.

most of the good buzz is on Eustaqiuo, Tajon, Laryea, Kamal, Johnston and Kone.  The only guy that is getting trashed is David which isn’t surprising given the huge transfer rumours to big English clubs 

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Interesting to read all the international reaction online and in social media amongst those who knew nothing about the players on are squad.

most of the good buzz is on Eustaqiuo, Tajon, Laryea, Kamal, Johnston and Kone.  The only guy that is getting trashed is David which isn’t surprising given the huge transfer rumours to big English clubs 

On my West Ham board , Miller also got a some praise but they love a full-blooded tackle.  

As far as the David comments

monty-python-you-make-me-sad.gif

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I think sentence B is affected by your sentence A. Whereas the American MLS players are truly MLS level, Canadian MLS players, because "Canadians are not soccer players", are really a level or two above the MLS level.

A perfect example of this prejudice was the rating that Fotmob gave each player in yesterday's game. The Canucks were given for the most part mid 6s and three were given low 7s. The Belgians were almost all given high 7s. Even though I put little stock into Fotmob, it does reveal a prejudiced perception in a lot of the soccer world.

In Mundo Deportivo today, rating out of 4… Hutch, Eustaquio and Tajon rated highest with a 3… everyone else two. For Belgium also 3 threes, but they threw in some ones. So we totally dominated, they agreed in the chronicle, but ratings were similar.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

She seems to have really doubled down on the fact that it was intended as a compliment so maybe just chalk it up to a stupid communication effort.  

I'm not British, but I've heard/read several Brits use that term as a positive in that context. I've even seen Iain Hume tweet something along those lines about Canada during the most recent WCQ run.

I'm not sure how prevalent it is, but she is married to a Brit and may have picked it up somewhere along the way.

12 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not British, but I've heard/read several Brits use that term as a positive in that context. I've even seen Iain Hume tweet something along those lines about Canada during the most recent WCQ run.

I'm not sure how prevalent it is, but she is married to a Brit and may have picked it up somewhere along the way.

Kaylyn Kyle is the biggest  advocate of Canadian soccer (men and women) I've ever seen. When the men were on their run she was pumping their tires throughout the qualification and after, and she works for an American company. I've never heard that expression but if she says she meant it as a huge compliment I believe her. Actually I would bet my house on it. If anyone heard talk her on her show or podcast they would have no doubt she meant it as huge compliment.

Edited by Sal333

36 minutes ago, jordan said:

Saw on Talksport that Bruce Wilson and Ronaldo are the only players to captain their sides while being clubless. 

However, Bruce is alone in the record book for being a clubless skipper for a number of of starting NT teammates who at the time played professional indoor soccer.   Take that, CR7 😉

As I said after our Uruguay friendly, it was the first time I realised we could end Qatar with similar results to Mexico 86. I am not backing down on this, because the psychological curve is a tough one to manage. We could go three and out.

This all out aggression can backfire, however fun it is to watch. We prepped strong to get a result vs Belgium and now have a serious reset to do. If we just try to repeat, it could work or could look like a pantomime. History could repeat itself, after the first time tragedy, next time it could look like a farce (a bit of Marx's Eighteenth Brumaire adapted for the occasion).

Croatia is aware they need a win to come first in the group, as the likely R of 16 opponent for 2nd place will be Spain, who look scary. So they'll be managing carefully. Be cagey a bit with us, until they can be sure they don't get hurt.

We won't have so much ball, don't think, and may be pushed back anyways. I actually don't mind this, I would sort of prefer to not have to repeat the Belgium game and hope this time it works. If new scenario is imposed on us, I'll take it, as it gives us another kind of chance to get a result  with a different narrative. A sort of gift enabling us to be fresher in the course of the match.

Then Morocco. We may be eliminated by then, but Morocco could be playing for keeps. So what happens then?

All my hopes to see a clear step forward from '86 are tempered now, as saw vs. Uruguay, or Belgium last night: the superior teams tend to find a way,  even undeservedly, and we are up against 3 superior teams.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist