General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

FIFA can f-off, Qatar can f-off. But I've just bought the month-long Sky Sports package. I am just not as strong with my principles to boycott like the Italians. 

All I've been talking about with soccer minded friends and colleagues in NZ is that Canada is making it out of the group (while silently hoping for just a goal), to the point where they are all telling me to f-off. 

17 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Davies is the face of the sport in this country. I don’t see him not starting as a “precaution” in such a massive match. He’s either hurt or playing. 

Disagree unless we can agree he’s obviously hurt. He’s not going to be 100% because he doesn’t have the time to ramp up training. 

If he re-aggregates his injury, his group stage tournament is likely over. 

I really hope (and do believe) Herdman isn’t making any lineup discussions based on Davies being “the face of the sport”. Optimize for success at the tournament and let TSN and BMO to worry about the marketability. 

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Davies HAS to start the first game. 82% of teams who win the first game go on to advance. And Herdman 100% knows this as we all know he's a science/stats guy. If you put on Davies and he re-aggravates his injury, I'd rather this than not play him and lose the first match.

Not having Davies is a huge loss, but missing out on Eustaquio is a disaster. We have players that can fill in for Davies. Not as well as Davies but they can fill in. We played half our WC qualifying matches without him.  We have no one that can fill in for Stephen. I'm just hoping Herdman is giving Eustaquio a well needed rest.

- GK- Milan Borjan 
- LB- Samuel Adekugbe 
- CB- Kamal Miller
- CB- Steven Vitoria 
- RB- Alistair Johnston
- CDM- Stephen Eustaquio 
- LCM- Ismael Kone 
- RCM- Richie Laryea 
- LW- Alphonso Davies
- CF- Jonathan David 
- RW- Tajon Buchanan 

This is the lineup I would go with against Belgium 

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

- GK- Milan Borjan 
- LB- Samuel Adekugbe 
- CB- Kamal Miller
- CB- Steven Vitoria 
- RB- Alistair Johnston
- CDM- Stephen Eustaquio 
- LCM- Ismael Kone 
- RCM- Richie Laryea 
- LW- Alphonso Davies
- CF- Jonathan David 
- RW- Tajon Buchanan 

This is the lineup I would go with against Belgium 

No Hutch?

Every time I have had doubts about this Canadian side, they have proved me wrong.  Near the end of qualifying where some complacency might have set in I was questioning.  But there warm up games for the WC have given me renewed hope.  Not collapsing against Uruguay and every member back to their WCQ level against Japan gave me hope.  My only worry is if something happens to Borjan, nothing against Dane but part of the dynamic is lost.  And it seems that whenever we are without Davies the whole team pick it up a level.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I have the Fox stream on, and it’s so jarring going from the soccer broadcast to Skip and Shannon yelling at each other about the Cowboys right after.

Hahaha yeah so much of American sports media is bald guys with chunky glasses screaming at each other about whether Tom Brady or LeBron is the best player ever.

5 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Hahaha yeah so much of American sports media is bald guys with chunky glasses screaming at each other about whether Tom Brady or LeBron is the best player ever.

When the US flames out in the group stage, I am sure we’ll find out why this was LeBust’s fault. If he invested more into his management of Liverpool, perhaps they would’ve signed and developed more Americans who would’ve been able to better contribute.