General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

5 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure Piette destroys anything vs Belgium…

People really overate his “destroying” skills. You saw it against Japan and Uruguay - he was not particularly effective defensively. Sure against MLS competition it can work but I’m not banking on him doing anything versus world class midfields like Croatia and Belgium.

I am not going to disrespect Piette.  He has always answered the call and done what was asked of him.  And he has played really well along the way - not always, but has definitely done an important job.  I doubt anyone thinks he is going to put De Bruyne or Modric in his pocket but those are world class players that will challenge anyone in our midfield - Staq included.  Getting a result will take a full team response, with 11 guys putting efforts into not conceding for the full 90+ minutes.  I hope Staq is ready to go from kick off but if not I am choosing to believe that Piette can be effective. 

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

As a mid at this level you have to be able to play through a high press or you're asking for trouble. As a 3rd mid Piette may be ok but for sure not with 2 CMs. 

Other than his habit of stretching in short shorts in team videos, I have huge respect for Piette.  He will keep running after most players slow down but that needs to be used wisely in ideal circumstances.  

The problem again is we are not in ideal circumtances in midfield. Kaye and still Kone have a game-killer bad pass in them, that becomes an even bigger issue if they play more holding roles.  Many of the others are more attack-minded.  I trust Piette to at least make the simple passes simple. 

No greater answers to be fair. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

The lack of nuance in talking about the midfield is annoying. Piette in a 2 man midfield is very different to Piette in a 3-man.  The extra body changes roles for everyone.

No shit Piette struggles when its just him and one other needing to do everything in midfield.

I'd also argue it doesn't matter who we run in the midfield in a 2-man. Croatia and Belgium will eat them alive.

Running Eustaquio-Hutchinson will still get us overrun against arguably the best midfield in the world in Modric/Brozovic/Kovacic or the 4 man midfield Belgium could roll out in a 3-4-2-1.

This reminds me of the thinking of not starting all of our starters in the 2019 Gold Cup Mexico game.  I guess the difference is that there wasn’t a specific injury that players were dealing with.

If we know Staq will be for sure at minimum available ‘off the bench’ for Belgium, assuming that means approx 30 minutes, wouldn’t we rather have him start 30 to calm everyone’s nerves in the biggest Canada game in decades, vs play the final 30?

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

This reminds me of the thinking of not starting all of our starters in the 2019 Gold Cup Mexico game.  I guess the difference is that there wasn’t a specific injury that players were dealing with.

If we know Staq will be for sure at minimum available ‘off the bench’ for Belgium, assuming that means approx 30 minutes, wouldn’t we rather have him start 30 to calm everyone’s nerves in the biggest Canada game in decades, vs play the final 30?

I also think we have a better chance against Belgium than we do against Croatia.

Tough decisions.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

I think a lot of people are also underestimating the Croatia game.  That is less winnable then the Belgium game IMO.

I agree with this, Belgium look to be out of sorts right now and they're having trouble settling on their best team. This is the more winnable of the two.

10 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I think a lot of people are also underestimating the Croatia game.  That is less winnable then the Belgium game IMO.

Yep. People may think oh look Croatia is old when they see Lovren and Vida (along with Modric but he's a fine wine). Neither defenders are expected to see the pitch at all and their new crop of CBs are highly rated.

Edited by VinceA

17 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

My thoughts as well. The first 20+ mins against Belgium are going to be the most crucial of the entire tournament.

Edited by mpg_29

20 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I agree. First, it's the surprise factor, and our specific prep for them.

Then, if they don't have Lukaku, if Hazard starts (and everyone in Spain knows he hasn't done a thing in years for club, he is so overrated by those who saw him in EPL), if they play Castaigne who is slow and ineffective, that ageing back line, the inexperience at the back of Debast (on a weaker team than Tajon and Larin), we have a much better chance against them. Also because they are not going to come out with any intention of factoring in our strengths, they'll just want to ride their superiority.

That, and it seems clear Croatia has done a better job renewing and has a lot of younger blood of better quality. And they, like us, will have an even sharper idea of what is at stake by the second game, so it won't get easier, just the opposite.

No matter what, our aim has always to be within a goal, to not lose the narrative of any match, to always be within a goal of a result. Whether that's to draw or win. So staying with our rivals early, and not getting scored on first (as happened in 6 of 14 qualifiers, against Honduras in NL, in friendlies against Uruguay and Japan, far too often).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Not sure if this will be much of a factor but Belgium seems to have stayed in Belgium right until they left for the Egypt game and they were training in cold weather. Like players fully bundled up. They didn't give themselves much time to acclimate.

I wonder if this one area where Canada might have have an edge in planning/preparation given CONCACAF's wide variation in climate extremes.

40 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I agree.   With Belgium, there are areas to exploit (on the Belgian team) with our width and pace.   With, Croatia, I don't really see that because they have the players/talent to control the MF and limit the opportunities on the counter.  Its the second game and hence there will be a greater sense of urgency to get a result

Edited by Free kick