General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

I guess we don't have a "Belgium Watch" thread, but Egypt are beating them 2-0. One was a bad touch and giveaway by De Bruyne of all people at the top of the Belgium box and the Egyptian player buried it. The other was a ball over the top and a good finish on the run. Belgium are having trouble breaking down this very organized Egypt defence and are getting careless when out of possession.

Saw the clip of the 2nd Egypt goal.  If Belgium plays that high line against us Tajon and Phonzie have got to be licking their chops for the chance to torch those Belgian defenders.

21 minutes ago, imoffside said:

They made it to the finals of AFCON so I'd assume pretty good

Yeah, I watched a lot of that tourney and Egypt are a very hard-working, well-coached side who know their strengths and weaknesses. Their matches were all low scoring. Similar profile to Canada but we have more talent than them up top and they're better organized at the back.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm scared Herdman is going to become enamored with getting all his best players on the field at once and the resulting 3-4-3 ends up getting run over in the midfield and this tournament ends before it even starts.

That’s my big concern.  Hitting Belgium on the counter (and having lots of bodies back to ensure they don’t simply pass through us) will be key.  Personally I would prefer a 4-5-1 but with Herdman’s preference for 3 at the back I would at least want a 3-5-2 with Phonzie and Buchanan on the outside and tasked with defensive as well as offensive duties.   If we go out and try to swashbuckle against Belgium I think it will kill us.  

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Any minor injury is going to be treated with the utmost caution at this point. I doubt Borjan or Eustaqiuo are at any real risk of being out vs Belgium. Phonzie is a different story obviously 

This is what I am choosing to believe so that I don’t start crying at random points throughout the day.