General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

27 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

What did he say?

Want to clarify that’s it been awhile since I’ve seen the comments and that I am heavily paraphrasing but essentially he had some Serbian nationalistic comments awhile back and denies that he was born in Croatia and that where he was born is a part of Serbia. He’s also taken photos with some dodgy Serbs in the past with connections to far-right Serbian groups.

He was born in a part of croatia that was predominantly serbian. And the Serbs in that region were forcefully expelled by the croatian army. He was a child when that happened. I understand that he was effected by this. As were Croats and Bosnian Muslims as well. As someone who went through that war as a kid I understand all sides. I also understand that most people in that region are not able to see the other side, and that os why we allways have conflicts and will have some more 😕.

There are a lot of Croatian far right nationalists that are very upset that Borjan does not identify as a Croat but a Serb. I'm not sure what he said. I'm sure it was not innocent. However, if he was a Serbian Nationalist he would not play for us. Trust me I know plenty of nationalists from all sides in the Balkans. They don't stay here if they don't have to. 

40 minutes ago, Vasi said:

He was born in a part of croatia that was predominantly serbian. And the Serbs in that region were forcefully expelled by the croatian army. He was a child when that happened. I understand that he was effected by this. As were Croats and Bosnian Muslims as well. As someone who went through that war as a kid I understand all sides. I also understand that most people in that region are not able to see the other side, and that os why we allways have conflicts and will have some more 😕.

There are a lot of Croatian far right nationalists that are very upset that Borjan does not identify as a Croat but a Serb. I'm not sure what he said. I'm sure it was not innocent. However, if he was a Serbian Nationalist he would not play for us. Trust me I know plenty of nationalists from all sides in the Balkans. They don't stay here if they don't have to. 

100%. I definitely don’t think he is a Serb nationalist but was more or less speaking to the theme of his comments. I think you raise a really good point that you have to understand his upbringing to understand his opinions, even if they’re controversial.

Good thread on the subject:

Borjan was asked something along the lines of how he identified, and his answer was along the lines of he was born in Knin, a Serbian place, and he has always identified as being born in Serbia, in Dalmatia, but he now describes himself as Canadian. Interestingly enough, this quote was on his Wikipedia page very recently, and now has been removed right before the World Cup.

There is also a picture of him wearing a t shirt about “Serbian Dalmatia” which is very much a region of Croatia today. He also called being born in Croatia “a mistake” apparently. These are all things that are associated with the Greater serbia ideology which is obviously not so popular in Croatia. 

He’s also the captain of the biggest club in Serbia, one tied to their national identity, whose ultras are notoriously right wing- I think these are views that would play very will with that crowd, so who knows the extent of his convictions. But wearing a Serbian Krajina shirt when you’re just chilling at home is a very bold choice!

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Kone posted an IG video of the team at the hotel pool and you can clearly see McNaughton- is he on the team now, or did all the Bahrain game team come to Qatar as the taxi squad?

He and Henry both step off the plane in the video I posted above, so I think everyone is still there. I think he's still there in case of being the "next man up" in case of another f'ing injury. Herdman may also be thinking of the future experience since Vitoria & Atiba aren't going to be around forever.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He and Henry both step off the plane in the video I posted above, so I think everyone is still there. I think he's still there in case of being the "next man up" in case of another f'ing injury. Herdman may also be thinking of the future experience since Vitoria & Atiba aren't going to be around forever.

I suspect it is both of those things.  Contingency plan “C”, extra body for scrimmaging, and a dearth of exciting defensive talent in the pipeline.  He was there anyway so now is probably the time to splurge on an extra body or two.  

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Or just having extra guys there, I mean, if we've got the budget, there's no better way to build up "the brotherhood" by giving some players who showed up and put in work a free 3-week long trip to Qatar to go hang out at a luxury hotel.

38 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I suspect it is both of those things.  Contingency plan “C”, extra body for scrimmaging, and a dearth of exciting defensive talent in the pipeline.  He was there anyway so now is probably the time to splurge on an extra body or two.  

I wonder if he leaves Tuesday when the deadline passes to switch out a player from the 26.

I guess we don't have a "Belgium Watch" thread, but Egypt are beating them 2-0. One was a bad touch and giveaway by De Bruyne of all people at the top of the Belgium box and the Egyptian player buried it. The other was a ball over the top and a good finish on the run. Belgium are having trouble breaking down this very organized Egypt defence and are getting careless when out of possession.

6 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I guess we don't have a "Belgium Watch" thread, but Egypt are beating them 2-0. One was a bad touch and giveaway by De Bruyne of all people at the top of the Belgium box and the Egyptian player buried it. The other was a ball over the top and a good finish on the run. Belgium are having trouble breaking down this very organized Egypt defence and are getting careless when out of possession.

TBH i would rather they blew Egypt out. I dont like them losing this and then being super focused coming into our match

10 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

There is this thread on the website about our opponents.

Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco) - Page 26 - FIFA World Cup - Qatar - 2022 - Canadian Soccer News

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Of marginal interest, Serbia is drawing 1-1 with Bahrain at half-time. I suspect their players may be finding the crap pitch just as difficult and talent-nullifying as our own players did. What a difference the pitch in the Japan match made.

They're actually playing at their national stadium on a better field this time. Which means we're actually better than Serbia!