General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

There's always a shock at the WC, and with an aging Belgium who could be missing Lukkaku, and could still see Eden Hazard starting (who himself has said Trossard deserves to start more than him right now) and that slow backline, the perfect storm is absolutely brewing for one. Add to the fact I don't think any of our opponents fully know what to expect from Canada other than Davies=fast.

Yes, especially Belgium will have to stay honest in possession and won't be able to pack their entire team into our half with the threat of a Davies/David/Buchanon break. They don't have the pace to deal with that. Which means they lose some width and we can manage a mid-low block hopefully keeping them at bay well away from our box. David can also just play good hold up football as an escape hatch.

Belgium is also planning for a long tournament and is likely investing more time in preparing for teams like Brazil, France, Spain, etc. than they are with Canada, a game which is probably more like a preparation game than do or die like it is for us. That, mixed with an older team with a few banged up players, and you can imagine a scenario where they're less prepared than we are, and one great play from Davies or David ends up being all we need to get a result.

In 2018, Brazil drew Switzerland in their first game. Argentina drew Iceland. Germany didn't even show up to the group stage, etc. There is precedent for a team like Belgium coming out flat, especially against a team like ours.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/amp/morocco-contacted-brahim-again-for-the-world-cup-1202752

Morocco still trying to get Brahim Diaz in its squad. Seems highly unlikely.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/moroccos-amine-harit-likely-to-miss-world-cup-with-knee-injury/sn-amp/

Harit out for Morrocco which is a pretty big loss for them 

One year ago today I was freezing with 50,000 of you crazies at Iceteca, hoping against hope for a result against Mexico; tomorrow we play our final friendly before our first World Cup in 36 years - what a journey it’s been. Don’t think I’ll be able to watch tomorrow’s match unless I can find an illegal stream, but sending warm wishes to Canada and the Voyageurs from Martinique.

As an aside, if Canada ever meets Martinique in the Nation’s League (and of course we will, because we always get drawn with non-FIFA sides), I would definitely make another trip here to see the away match. This is a very friendly, interesting island with plenty to do for active people.

image.jpeg.662db65c0d560b427be10552e637f743.jpeg 

image.jpeg

Edited by Treppy2