General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Scotland were in just 12 years more recently that us (and the wait continues.)  The same time we last made the Hex. Pretty similar to Osorio if we are looking at years and having dreams.

I’m just saying having coached youth soccer for many years in Canada and knowing the kind of things these Canadian youth soccer players go through growing up and playing soccer here in Canada , I can really relate to the ones that went through it a lot more than a guy like Wotherspoon that didn’t grow up in Canada or ever played any type of youth soccer here in Canada . I just feel more a connection to guys that have lived it that’s all. I’ll gladly take a guy like Wotherspoon who can help our national team but love it when guys that the Canadian youth system played more of a role in developing make it .

13 minutes ago, gator said:

It is great to see Wotherspoon getting so much attention on Twitter, besides the local Saints sites many of the major media sites have posted pieces on him being included on our roster!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/david-wotherspoons-mum-dad-happy-28479396

David Wotherspoon's mum and dad on the happy tears and pride of his World Cup selection

The St Johnstone midfielder and Perthshire local has been selected to represent Canada at the famous tournament

21 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/david-wotherspoons-mum-dad-happy-28479396

David Wotherspoon's mum and dad on the happy tears and pride of his World Cup selection

The St Johnstone midfielder and Perthshire local has been selected to represent Canada at the famous tournament

His brother is also very vocal on Twitter for his support for the Canadian team.  Similar to Atiba’s sister.  Very happy for him.

Just throwing it out there but holy crap is it ever cool to have wall to wall media coverage on our team; a team that no one cared about  10, even 5 years ago. 

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting tv montage with deep dive into the progression from youth to now of (insert one 26 here).

This is awesome. 

Edited by Califax

51 minutes ago, Califax said:

Just throwing it out there but holy crap is it ever cool to have wall to wall media coverage on our team; a team that no one cared about  10, even 5 years ago. 

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting tv montage with deep dive into the progression from youth to now of (insert one 26 here).

This is awesome. 

More like no one except us cared about it 18months ago..

1 hour ago, Califax said:

This is awesome. 

Everyone loves a success story, teams that win but I would like to think there are other contributing factors to the increase in support for our National Teams such as the number of participants and local MLS and CPL clubs!

2 hours ago, Califax said:

This is awesome. 

During such a weird year to-boot.

Every other WC Finals has been basically out-of-season.  Sure there are a few summer leagues still going but you know what I mean.  No distractions.  No Champions League, no table jockey, no leading goal scorere stuff.  Hell, usually by the time the month off is done and we're getting into the World Cup everybody has had their break and is ready for a fresh fix.  Not this edition.  No, sir. 

Hype came in late but still, here we are.  And more's coming.  Loving it.  

22 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Haven't seen it mentioned but it's worth mentioning.  How grand is it that Jason de Vos is going to Qatar?

Makes one think that sometimes you can find justice in this world. 

It's funny, I thought I'd be more disappointed by this stage in not going. But I think seeing so many other Vees gearing up to travel and knowing we'll be well represented, seeing so many vets from teams past like de Vos, DeRo, JDG, plus seeing the aforementioned media circus here at home, (and the, ahem, other qatar things) makes me feel totally at peace.

I know im missing out, but it honestly doesn't feel that way. As soon as the B roll of Canadian fans starts pouring in, it's just gonna level up. 

Edited by Califax

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I just finished my last work conference call before I head out.  Three people on the call were very aware of the World Cup and two could name players.  These are people who didn’t know a thing about soccer two years ago.  To me that is big progress.

Soccer was never part of my family growing up, and I had an older cousin who for most of his life claimed that given minimal training, he could easily become a professional keeper in a top league because those guys only have to pretend to try and make a save, since the net is so big that most goals are out of the keeper's control. He really got into CF Montreal around mid season, and by the playoffs, was texting me team updates and talking about who's going to be in Qatar. Based on the sort of opinion my family had on soccer growing up, that is monumental progress.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Soccer was never part of my family growing up, and I had an older cousin who for most of his life claimed that given minimal training, he could easily become a professional keeper in a top league because those guys only have to pretend to try and make a save, since the net is so big that most goals are out of the keeper's control. He really got into CF Montreal around mid season, and by the playoffs, was texting me team updates and talking about who's going to be in Qatar. Based on the sort of opinion my family had on soccer growing up, that is monumental progress.

I was sure your story was going to take a quick right at the highlighted part and you were going to tell us your cousin was Pantemis or Breza.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I've played keeper all my life and this part made me chuckle. I have been known to throw a few hopeless dives at shots to make it look like I tried when I knew full well I had zero chance.

I’m the UK watching a great documentary call Italia 90:four weeks that changed the world … 

the first ep is all about a bunch of amateurs from Cameroon who against all odds beat the world champions Argentina (with Maradona playing no less) I’m not saying Canada can win the World Cup but why can’t e beat Belgium? One of my favourite things about Football is that unlike other sports in 90 mins for me game any team at a certain level can win(see multiple giant killers in the FA Cup England) the right tactics,players, a lot of graft and a bit of luck who knows… I’m heading to Qatar Nov 22 but atm my ticket is open ended…

We have to believe. IN order to be truly Great you have to risk being foolish!!! 
Go Canada Go!!🇨🇦🇨🇦

5 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I’m the UK watching a great documentary call Italia 90:four weeks that changed the world … 

the first ep is all about a bunch of amateurs from Cameroon who against all odds beat the world champions Argentina (with Maradona playing no less) I’m not saying Canada can win the World Cup but why can’t e beat Belgium? One of my favourite things about Football is that unlike other sports in 90 mins for me game any team at a certain level can win(see multiple giant killers in the FA Cup England) the right tactics,players, a lot of graft and a bit of luck who knows… I’m heading to Qatar Nov 22 but atm my ticket is open ended…

We have to believe. IN order to be truly Great you have to risk being foolish!!! 
Go Canada Go!!🇨🇦🇨🇦

There's always a shock at the WC, and with an aging Belgium who could be missing Lukkaku, and could still see Eden Hazard starting (who himself has said Trossard deserves to start more than him right now) and that slow backline, the perfect storm is absolutely brewing for one. Add to the fact I don't think any of our opponents fully know what to expect from Canada other than Davies=fast.