General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

35 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Finally the Arfield talk dies down.

lol

6 minutes ago, Califax said:

Very interesting about Arfield. You really have to wonder if Herdman opened the door to taking him in place of an injured Osario, why the hell he’s not taking him in place of an out of form Marc Anthony Kaye. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As does Corbeau, there are double digits of players going from the Championship last time I checked. 

True!   Technically all players in belguim div 2 plays against wc quality now that Fraser’s included.  I think the sentiment is the Quality of our opposition is more like psg than blackpool.  There’s a big difference of being on the same field as Messi and Neymar vs championship players.  

10 minutes ago, Califax said:

Very happy to see Fraser and Cornelius in the squad.

Very interesting about Arfield. You really have to wonder if Herdman opened the door to taking him in place of an injured Osario, why the hell he’s not taking him in place of an out of form Marc Anthony Kaye. 

I don’t see how Kaye gets minutes in this world cup at all. If it’s attacking it’s anyone else, if it’s defensive it’s Piette. 

Different midfield roles entirely for Kaye and Arfield. Kaye is asked to do defensive work. Arfield would not be.

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Congrats @spitfire

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 So incredibly proud and happy rn. All the hard work and sacrifice that he’s made. His journey has been anything but easy(most don’t even know) but true character comes out of adversity… 

I will say this now. This team is a proper unit,  a focused group players and I really think will surprise a lot of people in this World Cup… everyone has its Cinderella story… don’t right them off .. 

🇨🇦🇨🇦🙏🏻💪💪🙏🏻

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Different midfield roles entirely for Kaye and Arfield. Kaye is asked to do defensive work. Arfield would not be.

As others have pointed out there’s a ton of fluidity throughout the players that we called.  it wouldn’t be ridiculous for last midfielder to be a bit of a wildcard. 

Also, hey, Waterman is there. 

46 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

True!   Technically all players in belguim div 2 plays against wc quality now that Fraser’s included.  I think the sentiment is the Quality of our opposition is more like psg than blackpool.  There’s a big difference of being on the same field as Messi and Neymar vs championship players.  

PSG is twice a year and it's massive gap from to the rest of the league.  Why Lille's Championship was so surprising. 

Ugbo's 9 minutes against PSG this year isn't a great deal of evidence. 

We should not be playing with 2 strikers against any of our opponents, unless you count Davies in a free role at times. So having 4 out and out ones is a bit of a waste for me.  Corbeanu could play there in an emergency and also covers the wing. My logic, right or wrong. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

PSG is twice a year and a massive gap from the rest of the league.  Why Lille's Championship was so surprising. 

Ugbo's 9 minutes against PSG this year isn't a great of evidence. 

We should not be playing with 2 strikers against any of our opponents, unless you count Davies in a free role at times. So having 4 out and ones is a bit of a waste for me.  Corbeanu could play there in an emergency and also covers the wing. My logic, right or wrong. 

I see that logic. agreed about the 2  strikers!  

I think that Ugbo is less likely to be a deer in the headlights compared to corbeanu?   He’s been on the field multiple times against elite players (both on psg and other teams) I’m not sure there are any elite players in the championship. Age, experience etc.  a lot of factors could be argued both ways.in either case Corbeanu wouldn’t be anywhere near the deer in headlights levels that we saw from waterman. 

43 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

We always knew he was a lock🤣

Hey look I’m one for bringing any players that can help our national team but for me I can really relate to the Osorios , the Layrea’s , Waterman’s the Millars guys that more or less grew up playing the majority of their youth soccer in Canada and lived the Canadian youth soccer experience growing up ,  these are really the Cinderella stories growing up in a country that hadn’t qualified to a World Cup or even the hex in their lifetimes and now here they are . 

Edited by SoccMan

8 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Hey look I’m one for bringing any players that can help our national team but for me I can really relate to the Osorios , the Layrea’s , Waterman’s the Millars guys that more or less grew up playing the majority of they youth soccer in Canada and lived the Canadian youth soccer experience growing up ,  these are really the Cinderella stories growing up in a country that hadn’t qualified to a World Cup or even the hex in their lifetimes and now here they are . 

Scotland were in just 12 years more recently that us (and the wait continues.)  The same time we last made the Hex. Pretty similar to Osorio if we are looking at years and having dreams.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

The craziest out of all this is Kone no? Relative unknown to possible starter in 9-10 months???

I still remember every MLS reporter talking about how Zouhir turned heads in pre-season and was the player to watch for Montreal and then Kone was like "nah" and then went full NSYNC and said "It's gonna be me"

30 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I still remember every MLS reporter talking about how Zouhir turned heads in pre-season and was the player to watch for Montreal and then Kone was like "nah" and then went full NSYNC and said "It's gonna be me"

Please, no NSYNC talk on such a happy day.