General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

21 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I mean, he’s the best we’ve got after Vitoria. If it’s down to Henry, Waterman or Macnaughton starting in a World Cup it’s obviously Henry all day. 

Sure he makes the odd mental error but his upside is unmatched on our back line. When he’s on he’s incredible. That’s been rare but at least you can say it’s possible - unlike the others. 

Incredible? We talking about the same guy here? 

Best we saw from Henry was in his pre-West Ham xfer days, and best we could say back then was we saw serious potential but needed a lot of work. He never looked incredible. Unless you’re talking about his brash tackles that won’t fly anywhere outside of concacaf. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

interesting stuff in the Netherlands squad regarding brotherhood.

Cillessen the best gk is dropped for noppert who is a no name

danjuma is dropped for janssen-spurs flop

karsdorp dropped for Rensch and frimpong in the provisional list who are both young or uncapped.  

all 3 of these top players dropped because they disrupt the team dynamics.   

The Dutch have been notorious for these toxic dressing room guys for 20-25 years now. Coach made the right call, attitude trumps talent in team sports. The players will respect him and perform for it.

4 hours ago, costarg said:

The Dutch have been notorious for these toxic dressing room guys for 20-25 years now. Coach made the right call, attitude trumps talent in team sports. The players will respect him and perform for it.

Absolutely. You wouldn’t believe the hate from most Dutch fans though. Don’t ever bring up the name Daley blind.  If our debates about Henry or Kaye seem to get hot, it’s nothing compared to blinds inclusion being a result of talent vs nepotism (Dad is an assistant coach)

I half believe mitrovic was not pursued harder because of his attitude/dads attitude. Half don’t believe it because I don’t have any reason to suspect Stefan has a bad attitude. I’m all for dropping airfield for his poor attitude. 

10 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Quoting a co-worker from yesterday, "Thank god Canada and the Netherlands are in separate groups, or I'd have to root against Canada." 

This culture thing is working for the team in the short-term, but we need it to spread even further across the whole fcking country if we want to keep stepping forward as a footballing nation. 

Three indicators before we are considered as a soccer nation:

1. A 40,000 seat soccer specialized stadium in each MLS team city 

2. Regular national youth camp every year 

3. TSN covers every CMNT matches LIVE including friendlies

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Thanks, Joe. I know most of the people you reference but this guy I have never heard of and he's entertaining. I would agree with most of what he said except the thin on paper bit. This Canadian NT is not thin on paper. It's thin in most people's perceptions - even many Canucks - because many of the international soccer experts are slow on recognizing the talent that's starting to come out of this country. This world cup will change that.

7 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Absolutely. You wouldn’t believe the hate from most Dutch fans though.

Ohhh, i believe it.  I lived there for 3 years and they were my 2nd favorite team until I had moved there, I got turned off quickly once I understood the level of toxicity and how widespread it was.  Hard to support those guys, even though i loved their style and system.

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Ohhh, i believe it.  I lived there for 3 years and they were my 2nd favorite team until I had moved there, I got turned off quickly once I understood the level of toxicity and how widespread it was.  Hard to support those guys, even though i loved their style and system.

Ah so you for sure know what I’m talking about.  It’s too bad they are like that.  I just don’t understand why it feels like they can’t say, x player is better because of Y.  It’s always, X player is horrible and should never play. How can we expect to do anything with bozos picking idiots.  Random insukts with extreme absolutism instead of tactical opinions. Did you find Dutch Canadians to be different than Dutch residents? 

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Thanks, Joe. I know most of the people you reference but this guy I have never heard of and he's entertaining. I would agree with most of what he said except the thin on paper bit. This Canadian NT is not thin on paper. It's thin in most people's perceptions - even many Canucks - because many of the international soccer experts are slow on recognizing the talent that's starting to come out of this country. This world cup will change that.

I think yesterday showed that outside of our top 7 players or so... we are paper thin.

Just saw one of those profiles TSN is doing on each Canadian player the one on Kamal Miller, he says being from Scarborough he felt like an outcast liking soccer and playing soccer? Really soccer for a long time has always had one of the highest registrations of any youth sport in this country almost more than hockey for decades now , so hearing this from Miller kind of surprised me . He goes on to say he was one of the very few in his school that played and was into soccer while everyone else was playing and into mainly basketball and even the American style football. When I look at the participation numbers soccer has always been first or second with hockey neck in neck . Miller grew up in the Toronto area in the late 90’s and into the 2000’s so his statement  is very surprising to me .

Edited by SoccMan

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Just saw one of those profiles TSN is doing on each Canadian player the one on Kamal Miller, he says being from Scarborough he felt like an outcast liking soccer and playing soccer? Really soccer for a long time has always had one of the highest registrations of any youth sport in this country almost more than hockey for decades now , so hearing this from Miller kind of surprised me . He goes on to say he was one of the very few in his school that played and was into soccer while everyone else was playing and into mainly basketball and even the American style football. When I look at the participation numbers soccer has always been first or second with hockey neck in neck . Miller grew up in the Toronto area in the late 90’s and into the 2000’s so his statement very surprising to me .

Have to remember despite places like Scarborough and Brampton and other neighbourhoods being hotbeds for soccer in the country, ultimately the general interest is always going to be in other sports.

Also at the time Kamal would have been young and playing soccer it would have been the big NFL pushes into Canadian markets, along with the end of the Carter era and into the Bosh era for the Raptors.

Soccer is not a big sport in this country in terms of popular culture, particularly around kids in the mid to late 2000s. It's growing for sure, but the other sporting machines here are much larger and much more established. I'm almost 30 and despite being of latino descent I grew up around hockey and baseball and those were my sports growing up until I discovered soccer well into my late teens.

It's easy to think this sport is bigger than it is when you surround yourself with people who like it too.

56 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I think our defence, especially at CB is paper thin.  Everywhere else, we're okay depth wise.

Depends on the context. For Concacaf competition, I would generally agree, but for a World Cup, which is the context in which this was brought up, if we we're even without Eustaquio we're fucked. Let alone any other midfield starter.

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Him minimizing the Mexico and US away wins is so typically American I just can't even. Other than that a really good, if not brutal, look at our national team's history and how quickly it's turned itself around. Also, another pundit saying we have a chance...

😜

Edited by PegCityCam

In light of some of the recent discussion on the forum regarding our expectations for the NT at Qatar, I think it is useful to remember that at the very beginning of WCQ we were mostly thinking that our guys would likely NOT make it to Qatar, and that the entire qualifying campaign would be an opportunity to get us prepped for the WC here in North America. Sure, we all hoped Herdman and the lads would get us to Qatar, but we were thinking long term.

The fact that we've out-performed expectations, and by a decent margin, has all of us in a weird spot. We don't want to underestimate our side, but we are also aware of how far we've come in such a short time, and of how good our first-round competition is going to be.  What, then, should our expectations be?

If we were to step back and be realistic (but ambitious), we'd likely see Qatar as a chance for substantial growth, a chance to test ourselves at the highest level and on the biggest stage, and to push our program a notch or two up the ladder. None of us, clearly, are so naive to think we'll win the WC.  Few of us think we'll even advance out of the group. In truth, this WC is preparation for the next. But it is only a useful preparation if we go into each game, into the group play itself, with real intent of advancing out of the group. 

For me, I am excited to see how our guys will handle themselves, how they will grow, how they will battle, and how they will express themselves. I am so excited--and proud--to imagine them lining up for anthems on less than two weeks, the first time on the WC stage since I was 14(!!!!), when I watched them fight hard but bow out at the group stage. We wanted our program to take a step forward during WQC, and instead it has taken several. We are a head of where we thought we'd be at this point.  Now let's see what we can do, how we can grow and learn. I want to see cohesive, intelligent, and lively performances from our side. I want to see us grow game to game. I also want to see Herdman and staff mature tactically. I want us to play with pride and intelligence, grit and flare.  It'd be amazing to get a result or two, but I want to see excellent tournament football first and foremost from our side.  

Let's enjoy this! It is finally happening.