General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 11/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seriously, on current form and looking at those groups, no Concacaf team should get out of their group. Mind you, I don't know how good Saudi Arabia and Iran are; I saw they were amongst the strongest in Asia qualifying

Luckily for Mexico and USA, you already established that Iran and Saudi Arabia doing well in qualifying is a useless statistic. And luckily for Iran and Saudi Arabia, it's equally useless that Asia has only had 1 team out of the last 2 World Cups advance to the knockout rounds (Japan in 2018).

7 minutes ago, RS said:

1. Davies; 2. Johnston; 3. Hutchinson

This works even if you flip Johnston and Hutch.

For a global audience though, I'm tempted to say...

1. Davies
2. Buchanan
3. Hutchinson

Buchanan isn't unsung on this board (neither is Eustaquio or Johnston, but both are good shouts) but he isn't known by many outside of CONCACAF.

Has anyone else here who lives in Toronto noticed the world cup ads for tsn on ttc bus stop shelters. Here in etobicoke they are on almost every ttc bus stop. All of them either have 3 canadian players or just 3 players with Davies in the center in both versions. 

The hype is starting....man I honestly never thought that I would see this. Its amazing. 

I keep on dreaming on how the whole marketing and meda machine would really get behind this team and the sport if we make it out of the group. I think that this is exactly what Herdman has been preaching to the guys the last 4 years. 

Buried in the press release for viewing party kits, it mentions squad will be announced mid-November. So, around/after the FIFA deadline.

Online, Canada Soccer fans will be able to connect to our FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ digital hub at CanadaSoccer.com for access to official team content including the final squad selection in mid-November, as well as discover our bespoke Countdown-to-Kickoff Clock.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/wecan-viewing-party-kits-now-available-from-canada-soccer/

It also says pre World Cup events will be held in Montreal & Vancouver also.

Toronto (Yonge & Dundas Square) – November 6, 12:00pm to 4:00pm EST – Featuring Julian De Guzman & Dwayne De Rosario.

Montréal (Jacques-Cartier Pier) – November 12, 12:00pm to 4:00pm EST – Featuring Patrice Bernier.

Vancouver (Wong Plaza) – November 19, 12:00pm to 4:00pm PST – Featuring Marcel De Jong.

Edited by red card

3 hours ago, Vasi said:

That hype video is top notch!

Jesse throwing to it though looks bushleague. Not that he specifically did a terrible job, but the awkward edits after each half sentence looks really bad. Maybe the weird edits are because he did do a bad job and can't remember a couple sentences, I don't know. But it looks like a bad youtuber moment.

37 minutes ago, Kent said:

That hype video is top notch!

Jesse throwing to it though looks bushleague. Not that he specifically did a terrible job, but the awkward edits after each half sentence looks really bad. Maybe the weird edits are because he did do a bad job and can't remember a couple sentences, I don't know. But it looks like a bad youtuber moment.

Naw you're instincts are correct. It's fucking awful. I'm honestly so fucking sick of baseball and hockey analysis and the lack thereof in regards to soccer. So when I see they've got a hockey guy with his cringy fucking hockey-bro shtick doing a soccer promo I practically start having convulsions. I get they want the hockey crowd to tune in so it makes sense, I guess. Anyway...maybe have a soccer guy throwing to the soccer hype vid? That said, top notch vid though I agree lol.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

I saw a post about this in another thread, did herdman actually say 16 players who will see playing time in Qatar?

I don't think he exactly said that. I might have missed it but he definitely did say something along the lines of how typically in World Cups teams bring a roster of 23 players, but only 17-18 players see the field. I might have the numbers a bit wrong, might have been 16-17. And it might not have been "see the field" might have been something like "get the bulk of the time" or "sees significant minutes".

I think it probably comes somewhere in the "Outside shot at spot?" part of this video, queued up for you. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:30 AM, Gian-Luca said:

It looks like this video is back up for those that didn't see it before it was taken down last time:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but something tells me that these are the same halfwits who were whinging because there was snow in Canada in the winter (surprise!) when poor old Mexico had to go to Edmonton and lose.  God forbid those poor devils have to breathe fresh air instead of that that brown hazy crap at altitude in Mexico City.

Was having a think this morning about the nicest Canadian goals of the past 5-10 years.  I know they are all playing for second with the Davies Panama goal but what would you put as second and third?  Not talking importance here, just finish.  Quick contenders that come to mind for me are Hoilett GC quarterfinal against Jamaica, Cav against the US in NL and de Jong against Ghana.

14 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Was having a think this morning about the nicest Canadian goals of the past 5-10 years.  I know they are all playing for second with the Davies Panama goal but what would you put as second and third?  Not talking importance here, just finish.  Quick contenders that come to mind for me are Hoilett GC quarterfinal against Jamaica, Cav against the US in NL and de Jong against Ghana.

David's goal on Fraser's pass.