General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I'm finding there are actually a number of pundits (or whatever you call them these days) out there that are showing Canada some legitimate respect. This guy has a proper following (80K on insta and 13K on Twitter) and he rates Canada quite highly...to the point that I felt the need to comment about how shocked I was at his assessment. Should we be more open to the idea that our boys can make a run? Dare we?

He has Canada ranked 12th and coming out of the group stage. Meanwhile back in Feb Jaime Macias said that Canada can beat any team in South America (not necessarily all the time) and he thought Canada could go to the quarters. If the video doesn't load at the marker go to the 51 minute mark. So Leboeuf is not alone:

I think a a number of fans and media who are active in the western hemisphere could be thinking that the big boys could be underestimating Canada, and perhaps are even being a bit inept with their preparation (Thinking Davies will be a defender, dismissing Joanthan David and not even game planning for people like Buchanan, Osorio , Adekugbe and Laryea).

Edited by VinceA

Our mids, defenders & Borjan will need to have career performances if we are to progress out of the group of death. I'm less concerned about our forwards. In particular defending set pieces and crosses into the box. We struggled  with both in WCQ when facing Mexico and USA and now face KDB and Modric who excel at doing just that.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Canada can beat any team in South America (not necessarily all the time)

This is the truth, and it's what makes this world cup so exciting for us and much more than just "we're participating!"  We can beat these teams, not that we necessarily expect to, but if we play our game it's possible and wouldn't be a fluke. 

Edited by RJB

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Our mids, defenders & Borjan will need to have career performances if we are to progress out of the group of death. 

I disagree. They will certainly need to be at their best, but we don't need a once-in-a-lifetime performance. Our best players need to be at their best and we need to play a good team game, and then we are certainly capable of victory. Not a shoe in, but capable. 

Edited by RJB

On 10/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, PegCityCam said:

I'm finding there are actually a number of pundits (or whatever you call them these days) out there that are showing Canada some legitimate respect. This guy has a proper following (80K on insta and 13K on Twitter) and he rates Canada quite highly...to the point that I felt the need to comment about how shocked I was at his assessment. Should we be more open to the idea that our boys can make a run? Dare we?

I just can't see it given the group we are in currently 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

I just can't see it given the group we are in currently 

Tired of the perception that Canada fans are so weak minded we need to be flattered by press pundits who'll make us believe any bit of BS about ourselves.

I appreciate it's also the function of semi professional journalists to make wild predictions...then they get to leverage the odd one that comes true.

I'm perfectly happy to look the truth in the face: we're a nice team who should finish last and maybe make a game of it. 

Coming 3rd would be amazing but I'm just looking forward to making any of the rivals crap in their boots 

I understand the pundit love for Canada. If you're a pundit, you need to make bold predictions, and we know there's at least one underdog or two that will escape their group, so why can't that be Canada? Our best player is on the same level as our group's best, and can be the best player on the pitch against any of our opponents, and we have one of the best goal scorers in a top 5 league. Of course that usually isn't enough to beat Belgium or Croatia, but as far as hot takes go, imagining a scenario in which Belgium isn't ready for us, and we get a draw, we stun croatia because AD scored the same goal he scored against Panama and Jonathan David catches fire, and then Borjan shuts the door against Morocco, that's not such a hot take. Like, it won't happen at all, but in 2018, Germany lost to South Korea, Mexico, and would've drawn against (group winning) Sweden had it not been for Kroos' insane goal in extra time. It happens.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tired of the perception that Canada fans are so weak minded we need to be flattered by press pundits who'll make us believe any bit of BS about ourselves.

I appreciate it's also the function of semi professional journalists to make wild predictions...then they get to leverage the odd one that comes true.

I'm perfectly happy to look the truth in the face: we're a nice team who should finish last and maybe make a game of it. 

Coming 3rd would be amazing but I'm just looking forward to making any of the rivals crap in their boots 

Interesting take. Personally, I think it's altogether possible for a fan to simultaneously be able to "look the truth in the face", while also allowing onself to dream a little, or as you put it: "be flattered by press pundits who'll make us believe any bit of BS about ourselves". That actually made me laugh.

If anything, we know it's true that a fan can lean further to one side or another. Some only allow themselves to deal with cold, hard facts (if there is such a thing in football), while others seem to float off into space and believe that anything is possible. I honestly have no problem with either unless it devolves into mockery and insults.

Think about it, to call someone "weak minded" solely based on the fact that they allow themselves to dream a little or believe a little more in the possibility of an upset...is that not a little much? I'm truly glad you are happy to look truth in the face, that's a legitimate stance to take on our boys. But isn't it just as legitimate for somebody to be happy bending "truth" just a bit, allowing them to enjoy the experience of being a fan that much more? 

Anyways, if I'm being totally honest I wish I could take your stance and stick to it. I'd probably be able to sleep better and stop talking to anyone who'll listen (or just out loud to myself) about how massive this moment is for our nation. 

Edited by PegCityCam

3 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Morocco fans seem annoyed by this development. Apparently he's always been wanting the Netherlands and now that it won't ever happen it seems he's finally making the switch to Morocco just so he can play at a World Cup. Remains to be seen what his actual motivation level ends up being.

14 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Think about it, to call someone "weak minded" solely based on the fact that they allow themselves to dream a little or believe a little more in the possibility of an upset...is that not a little much? 

I think if anything being a pessimist is maybe a bit weak-minded (Many West Ham fans are justifiably a pessimistic lot).  Think about it, you are always protecting your feelings/mind a bit with pessimism because you get to, sort of, win even if you lose.  If you win great, if you lose, you were right.  

Being optimistic means you put yourself out there for a double blow - loss and wrong.  Take decades of those and keep on ticking, pretty strong minded to me.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think if anything being a pessimist is maybe a bit weak-minded (Many West Ham fans are justifiably a pessimistic lot).  Think about it, you are always protecting your feelings/mind a bit with pessimism because you get to, sort of, win even if you lose.  If you win great, if you lose, you were right.  

Being optimistic means you put yourself out there for a double blow - loss and wrong.  Take decades of those and keep on ticking, pretty strong minded to me.  

I think due to nonstop sports media and the depth that sports analysis goes into now vs. a few decades ago when you only read about your team in the local paper or saw them on your local TV station has made supporters see themselves more as analysts than fans. I think the idea of watching soccer (or any sport) because it's fun and entertaining is becoming more and more forgotten, and in its place is in-depth analysis about how your team that just won the game actually sucks, and the team you support that actually sucks sucks way more than you think they do (and you should feel bad about it).

If a time traveller from the distant future of January 2023 were to come here and let us know that actually, all the predictions were right and Canada got hosed by their 3 opponents and did not look particularly competitive, I honestly don't know if I would actually take the time off work to watch the game.

I agree that pessimism is more weak minded though. Believing that Canada can get out of their group, or West Ham can reach Europe gives you a purpose to watch the games, but it also sets you up for the spectacular heartbreak when they fail to reach that goal. Expecting the worst and accepting better outcomes sounds like you're more interested in being right than enjoying what you are watching.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think due to nonstop sports media and the depth that sports analysis goes into now vs. a few decades ago when you only read about your team in the local paper or saw them on your local TV station has made supporters see themselves more as analysts than fans. I think the idea of watching soccer (or any sport) because it's fun and entertaining is becoming more and more forgotten, and in its place is in-depth analysis about how your team that just won the game actually sucks, and the team you support that actually sucks sucks way more than you think they do (and you should feel bad about it).

If a time traveller from the distant future of January 2023 were to come here and let us know that actually, all the predictions were right and Canada got hosed by their 3 opponents and did not look particularly competitive, I honestly don't know if I would actually take the time off work to watch the game.

I agree that pessimism is more weak minded though. Believing that Canada can get out of their group, or West Ham can reach Europe gives you a purpose to watch the games, but it also sets you up for the spectacular heartbreak when they fail to reach that goal. Expecting the worst and accepting better outcomes sounds like you're more interested in being right than enjoying what you are watching.

I would add that like an actually good film or TV show, sport can surprise you every once in a while.  With everything having been done over and over again in the world, that bit of uncertainty is entertaining, even if the result doesn't go your way. 

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would add that like an actually good film or TV show, sport can surprise you every once in a while.  With everything having been done over and over again in the world, that bit of uncertainty is entertaining, even if the result doesn't go your way. 

And that's where the magic happens. Any team you follow for years, the victory is so much sweeter after you've experienced heartbreak vs. just getting your hopes up when your team is so good they should win. Not to mention, if everything happened the way pundits predicted it, and pundits never made any bold predictions, then watching sports would be essentially useless. I think most of us can predict at least 5 or 6 teams who will finish in the top 8 at the World Cup this year, and we're likely to be right, but the coolest moments this year are going to be the teams that draw massive upsets, and given the fact that Canada is a bottom tier WC team, but nowhere near the worst team or a team that can't be competitive at all, we're set up fine to be that one team that breaks a lot of european hearts. If Iceland can do what they did at the Euro, we can get out of a group stage with our country's best ever roster.

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

West Ham making European competition is an easier call than Canada getting out of the group. In a long season you can fix things and rivals falter. Teams gel. Quixotic narratives come true. In Qatar there is little chance to correct or fix anything, so what counts isn't optimism or teen spirit. You have to be hard as nails and the most likely scenario is what we saw after Uruguay: patting ourselves on the back for keeping up. Exactly the same as the France match in 1986. 

Canada are not even on an upward curve. We've lost to Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras away, we haven't beaten anyone better than us since last January.

A few press pundits are flattering Canada, as I see it to be cool, like boomers like me walking around with Hawaiian shirts. I don't need them, they feed me absolutely nothing. If my wife calls me "el más guapo" I'm comforted, but I don't spend the day believing it. I find some, like those saying well get to semis, embarrassing.

In any case, since one of our little hopes is being underestimated, I prefer to sit on that.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

West Ham making European competition is an easier call than Canada getting out of the group. In a long season you can fix things and rivals falter. Teams gel. Quixotic narratives come true. In Qatar there is little chance to correct or fix anything, so what counts isn't optimism or teen spirit. You have to be hard as nails and the most likely scenario is what we saw after Uruguay: patting ourselves on the back for keeping up. Exactly the same as the France match in 1986. 

Canada are not even on an upward curve. We've lost to Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras away, we haven't beaten anyone better than us since last January.

A few press pundits are flattering Canada, as I see it to be cool, like boomers like me walking around with Hawaiian shirts. I don't need them, they feed me absolutely nothing. If my wife calls me "el más guapo" I'm comforted, but I don't spend the day believing it. I find some, like those saying well get to semis, embarrassing.

In any case, since one of our little hopes is being underestimated, I prefer to sit on that.

Agree that 1 year ago, most of us were just dreaming about being at the World Cup 

My goal is still to enjoy it with the only expectation of scoring a goal.

What is on an upward curve is the depth, talent and pool of our national team.

3 years ago Buchanan, Miller, Kone, Eustachio weren't even on the radar, and I hope within the next cycle, we will unearth some gems and really push our game further.

MLS teams did an amazing job in the last 15 years, and the CPL will push us to another level as it will give youngster some playing time and a chance to be discovered 

The next step will be to fill our D1 as our D3 keeps getting new clubs. Once we get to that point, the next level will be for our local clubs to have academies if we want to get into the top 20 in the World.

Still, there is nothing wrong being a top 40 nation, being competitive and simply enjoying our National Team for the first time in a while.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I said, I think it is comforting for some to be pessimistic.  Fair enough, no one should tell another how to enjoy sport - ie. "Your fun is wrong."

But it doesn't make someone weak minded to have some optimism.  In fact the opposite, if you have been extra disappointed regularly and keep supporting your team it is a show of strength for me.  

I would add that something I tend to do - projecting my embarrassment on others - is usually not really very useful for me or them.

I think the best argument you have there is it takes the edge off the underdog mentality for our team and our opponents.  That said, there is lots of other press out there and we are facing professionals, so hopefully anything like this gets lost for the people it actually matters to.