General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

21 minutes ago, king1010 said:

So does he have us beating denmark too? May as well. Perhaps lose to brazil in penalties in the final. 

We do lose to Brazil but on a disputed penalty call in extra time. Henry gives Neymar the stink eye and after taking a dump in his shorts Neymar trips over his feet in the box. The ref calls a PK and Borjan stops 4 attempts. The officiating claims Borjan moved before the PKs were taken. Brazil never really score because the 5th PK was never attempted. The ref gives the ruling that 6 stars on the Brazilian jersey looks better than one on the Canadian kit. 

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is that where this is from?

If this happens, you basically have to start building the bronze statues in front of parliament. Every player too.

Yes, that is LeBoeuf’s WC bracket prediction for our side. He has Denmark going through the final. He chides everyone else for their boring and safe predictions. Few upsets were predicted by anyone else, except Craig Burley who laughed at the prospect of Canada going through picked Morocco to go through and the host Dan Thomas picked Qatar to advance. I think Burley picked the US to advance but otherwise the rest of Concacaf got shut out by the rest of the panel, going by memory 

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, that is LeBoeuf’s WC bracket prediction for our side. He has Denmark going through the final. He chides everyone else for their boring and safe predictions. Few upsets were predicted by anyone else, except Craig Burley who laughed at the prospect of Canada going through picked Morocco to go through and the host Dan Thomas picked Qatar to advance. I think Burley picked the US to advance but otherwise the rest of Concacaf got shut out by the rest of the panel, going by memory 

Agree. While I think Lebouef’s were over the top, the rest just made all the obvious choices pretty much which you know isn’t going to be the case either. 

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

De Guzman was worried about Canada's lack of experience outside Concacaf

I think the lack of experience defending against non-CONCACAF attacks and counterattacks is something the coaching staff will have to dedicate considerable focus and might still be limited by the personnel we'll have available.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think the lack of experience defending against non-CONCACAF attacks and counterattacks is something the coaching staff will have to dedicate considerable focus and might still be limited by the personnel we'll have available.

The main concern I have is that our Concacaf opponents didn’t play with a #10, so our experience is limited there and we are going up against two teams with arguably the two best #10s in the game today.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

The main concern I have is that our Concacaf opponents didn’t play with a #10, so our experience is limited there and we are going up against two teams with arguably the two best #10s in the game today.

I think it's more than that.  Defenders need to be disciplned with their challenges because these opponents are going to get more close calls going their way, and then we are giving away free kicks in dangerous areas.  Plus, the attacking combinations are just at a little higher level of sophistication and video room viewing isn't the same as live action real time intensity. 

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

On another clip posted a few weeks ago he was talking about playing for your national team. He said he never thought of playing for England because he wasn't English. He was Irish. Maybe it was just a case of sour grapes (couldn't make the English team).

On a personal note. I was born Catholic in Montreal. In those days the school boards were divided along linguistic (English & French) and religious (Catholic & Protestant) lines. In the 1960s the French Canadians did not welcome immigrants into their school system so I ended up in the English Catholic school board. When my generation of Italian-Canadian kids hit that school board it was populated mainly with Irish Catholic. So I grew up with Italians and Irish. I gotta tell you if there was one group that held onto to their heritage more than Italians it was the Irish I grew up with. Example: I don't remember ever singing God Save The Queen or Oh Canada at the start of school. Instead we sang When Irish Eyes Are Smiling. Years later I saw the irony in that. That song was American and not Irish. Go figure.

I went to elementary and high school in the Ahuntsic area and we were probably 95% Italian. Which part of Mtl did you go to school if I may ask?

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I went to elementary and high school in the Ahuntsic area and we were probably 95% Italian. Which part of Mtl did you go to school if I may ask?

The first was in Villeray, then La Petite Patrie and finally St.Michel/Ahunstic. We moved a few times. The first two were elementary schools and the Irish/Italian break down was probably 50-50 when I graduated elementary. St.Michel/Ahunstic (St. Pius X) was a plurality of Italians followed by Irish then French Canadians and bringing up the rear others. 

Edited by Sal333

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They did it 8 years ago. 

2014 Italy/England/Uruguay > 2022 Spain/Germany/Japan?

For this edition I think they'll be more like their 2018 selves. The team is even older now and the coach for some reason refuses to call up 90% of their MLSers. So it's all domestic players who are mainly prospects with the big veterans.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

They did it 8 years ago. 

2014 Italy/England/Uruguay > 2022 Spain/Germany/Japan?

I believe that was the only time three former World Cup winners have been drawn together in the same group.

I was in Costa Rica in December 2013 shortly after the draw. Every fan I spoke with was very pessimistic about the Ticos getting out of the group, but they managed to do it, one of the more impressive advancements in World Cup history.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Frank LeBoeuf with his bracket was funny as hell but Canada no way in hell we go that far like come on

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Frank LeBoeuf with his bracket was funny as hell but Canada no way in hell we go that far like come on

I'm finding there are actually a number of pundits (or whatever you call them these days) out there that are showing Canada some legitimate respect. This guy has a proper following (80K on insta and 13K on Twitter) and he rates Canada quite highly...to the point that I felt the need to comment about how shocked I was at his assessment. Should we be more open to the idea that our boys can make a run? Dare we?

18 hours ago, Sal333 said:

The first was in Villeray, then La Petite Patrie and finally St.Michel/Ahunstic. We moved a few times. The first two were elementary schools and the Irish/Italian break down was probably 50-50 when I graduated elementary. St.Michel/Ahunstic (St. Pius X) was a plurality of Italians followed by Irish then French Canadians and bringing up the rear others. 

St. Pius X that was my H.S. Sadly it went from about 2000 kids (the 70's) to becoming a adult education because of low enrollment. ☹️     JFK H.S.  was was also mainly Italian.                                     Sorry for the off topic.

Edited by MtlMario