General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree about the midfield. I’d like to see us play 3 in the middle but the decision to play 2 is understandable given our lack of depth there this camp. Herdman normally plays 3 against higher strength sides. 

Eh since he started liking what Adekugbe brought to the team he started running a 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 so he could accomodate both him and Davies. 

Before that was when we'd run a 3-5-2 and have a three man midfield with Davies (Or even Laryea) at wingback.

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree about the midfield. I’d like to see us play 3 in the middle but the decision to play 2 is understandable given our lack of depth there this camp. Herdman normally plays 3 against higher strength sides. 

The issue is he was playing 3-man mid with two strikers.  3-5-2 won't suit us.  4-5-1 is the most obvious and reasonable choice.  

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Eh since he started liking what Adekugbe brought to the team he started running a 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 so he could accomodate both him and Davies. 

Before that was when we'd run a 3-5-2 and have a three man midfield with Davies (Or even Laryea) at wingback.

4-5-1 gets both Adekugbe and Davies on the field, and also solidifies the midfield.  

1 minute ago, costarg said:

The issue is he was playing 3-man mid with two strikers.  3-5-2 won't suit us.  4-5-1 is the most obvious and reasonable choice.  

My problem with 4 at the back is with the two starting centre backs: one lacks elite height but handles the ball very well and one lacks elite pace. You play 3 the right way and you use the extra man to help each other out.

You could play 3511, with Davies behind a striker and still pack the midfield. Whether Davies knows how to play that role is yet to be seen. 

27 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My problem with 4 at the back is with the two starting centre backs: one lacks elite height but handles the ball very well and one lacks elite pace. You play 3 the right way and you use the extra man to help each other out.

We know our major deficiency is top level CB's (as well as height).  Second to that is our thin midfield.  We don't solve those issues by adding a 2nd striker vs stronger teams.  That 2nd striker will not get the ball.  Our firepower will come from the quick counters on the wings (Tajon and Davies).

The back three also forces Davies and Tajon to play more defensively, another crutch.

Our only hope is to bunker down the midfield and add numbers to the backline. 

- Lukaku will just avoid staying in the middle near Vitoria, and terrorize Miller and Johnston, kinda like we saw Nunez do yesterday.  They'll just float crosses to him all day/night, unlimited free headers. 

- DeBruyne and Modric will have a field day playing in between the lines of a 2-man midfield.

I'm just grateful we lost to Uruguay to eliminate any false hope we might've had coming off a win.  The loss will require a rethink from the coaching staff.

24 minutes ago, costarg said:

We know our major deficiency is top level CB's (as well as height).  Second to that is our thin midfield.  We don't solve those issues by adding a 2nd striker vs stronger teams.  That 2nd striker will not get the ball.  Our firepower will come from the quick counters on the wings (Tajon and Davies).

The back three also forces Davies and Tajon to play more defensively, another crutch.

Our only hope is to bunker down the midfield and add numbers to the backline. 

- Lukaku will just avoid staying in the middle near Vitoria, and terrorize Miller and Johnston, kinda like we saw Nunez do yesterday.  They'll just float crosses to him all day/night, unlimited free headers. 

- DeBruyne and Modric will have a field day playing in between the lines of a 2-man midfield.

I'm just grateful we lost to Uruguay to eliminate any false hope we might've had coming off a win.  The loss will require a rethink from the coaching staff.

All valid points but you ignored my second paragraph. 

Some adjustments - If Lukaku plays, Vitoria follows him enough in the box, that if the ball goes up in the air, he is close enough, as in theory we have an extra man.  It is what should have been done last night instead of him marking space for the goal.   Good teams can pick that apart but good teams can pick apart anything. 

I always hope we are ready to rethink things. And I agree it was an important test. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

my 26 for the World Cup and let them battle it out vs Japan for the 23. 

Goalkeepers: Milan Borjan, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia); Maxime Crepeau, Los Angeles FC (MLS); Dayne St. Clair, Minnesota United (MLS). 

Defenders: Samuel Adekugbe, Hatayspor FC (Turkey); Doneil Henry Toronto ( MLS) ; Alphonso Davies, Bayern Munich (Germany); Alistair Johnston, CF Montreal (MLS); Scott Kennedy, SSV Jahn Regensburg (Germany); Richie Laryea, Toronto FC (MLS); Kamal Miller, CF Montreal (MLS); Steven Vitoria, GD Chaves (Portugal); 

Midfielders: Stephen Eustaquio, FC Porto (Portugal); Mark-Anthony Kaye, Toronto FC (MLS); Ismael Kone, CF Montreal; Jonathan Osorio, Toronto FC (MLS); Samuel Piette, CF Montreal (MLS). Scott Arfield, Rangers (SPL), Atiba Hutchison Besiktas ( Super Lig) 

Forwards: Tajon Buchanan, Club Brugge KV (Belgium); Lucas Cavallini, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS); Theo Corbeanu, Blackpool FC (England); Jonathan David, Lille OSC (France); David (Junior) Hoilett, Reading FC (England); Cyle Larin, Club Brugge (Belgium); Liam Millar, FC Basel (Switzerland); Ike Ugbo, ES Troyes AC (France). 

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Goalkeepers: Milan Borjan, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia); Maxime Crepeau, Los Angeles FC (MLS); Dayne St. Clair, Minnesota United (MLS). 

Defenders: Samuel Adekugbe, Hatayspor FC (Turkey); Doneil Henry Toronto ( MLS) ; Alphonso Davies, Bayern Munich (Germany); Alistair Johnston, CF Montreal (MLS); Scott Kennedy, SSV Jahn Regensburg (Germany); Richie Laryea, Toronto FC (MLS); Kamal Miller, CF Montreal (MLS); Steven Vitoria, GD Chaves (Portugal); 

Midfielders: Stephen Eustaquio, FC Porto (Portugal); Mark-Anthony Kaye, Toronto FC (MLS); Ismael Kone, CF Montreal; Jonathan Osorio, Toronto FC (MLS); Samuel Piette, CF Montreal (MLS). Scott Arfield, Rangers (SPL), Atiba Hutchison Besiktas ( Super Lig) 

Forwards: Tajon Buchanan, Club Brugge KV (Belgium); Lucas Cavallini, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS); Theo Corbeanu, Blackpool FC (England); Jonathan David, Lille OSC (France); David (Junior) Hoilett, Reading FC (England); Cyle Larin, Club Brugge (Belgium); Liam Millar, FC Basel (Switzerland); Ike Ugbo, ES Troyes AC (France). 

Arfield lol

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Ultra-curious here.  What makes you select Henry over Waterman and Cornelius?  Have you seen him play the past 7-8 months?

Please don't respond with "brotherhood"

Edited by costarg
typo

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ultra-curious here.  What makes you select Henry over Waterman and Cornelius?  Have you seen him play the past 7-8 months?

Experience plus Cornelius plays the left side and I’m taking Kennedy over Cornelius. So Waterman vs Henry. For me I’m taking experience. 

31 minutes ago, costarg said:

I don't necessarily like it, but I think Henry is going to get called over Waterman. I would personally choose Waterman, but if we are guessing what Herdman is going to do, @SpecialK nails it, with the exception of Arfield of course, which is very much a pie-in-the-sky long shot.

Also, I think Kennedy is going to get selected over Cornelius if it comes down to it. Looking at the forward list, I think you have to drop Corbeanu if you want to include Cornelius. The other option would be take out Arfield Wotherspoon to free up a space, but if faced with the decision to go with Wotherspoon or Cornelius, I think Herdman goes with Spoony. 

20 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think Osorio if healthy would be better than Hoilett in that position. Hoilett would be good on the wing, if Buchanan isn’t ready to go.

I agree Osorio would be good there. I did not like Hoilett on the wing. He was so slow. He beats a guy, then that same guy is able ti catch back up and recover.

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You could play 3511, with Davies behind a striker and still pack the midfield. Whether Davies knows how to play that role is yet to be seen. 

If only we had a cb that was tall and fast. Ah yes we do, Kennedy, we just don't play him.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

He’s needed and open to play. They should make the call 

We all know it won't happen. And it's unlikely that Atiba won't be there (sadly). So that's two down ... and a keeper would be the third.

... which makes me think there needs to be another midfielder on that list. Otherwise the list looks very pragmatic.

And then there's this:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/scott-arfield-announces-retirement-from-international-soccer-1.6317232

33 minutes ago, nfitz said:

We all know it won't happen. And it's unlikely that Atiba won't be there (sadly). So that's two down ... and a keeper would be the third.

... which makes me think there needs to be another midfielder on that list. Otherwise the list looks very pragmatic.

And then there's this:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/scott-arfield-announces-retirement-from-international-soccer-1.6317232

But the article is old, plus he said he would come back “never say never”. 

hutch will be there. A keeper ? All three keepers are fine ? 

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Brotherhood is only in play when we're excluding Arfield?..lol.  I agree Waterman over Henry and Arfield over an extra defender whether that's Henry or Cornelius. 

As good a place to ask this question as any -

What are we looking at formation-wise going forward?

We have played 2 up front a fair bit this year and were rewarded with some key wins but it also struggled away and against a better team.   The problem with moving beyond it being David is not the best lone striker but you don't want to take him out and Larin is not playing for his club.

I really like 3 at the back when teams can play it well; I think our players have been together enough and we have the pieces to use it.  It also should cover the weaknesses of our starting two CBs. The concern being it reduces the use of wingers, one of our deepest areas, unless you really open up the centre of midfield.  We also did not employ it the best against Uruguay.

I would like to go 3-5-1-1 with Davies behind David.  It would still have a stout midfield that Davies could help out and extra guys to help support across the defence.  If you want to attack with Tajon at RWB, it shifts pretty easy to 4 at the back. Whether Davies and David can play those roles are the big questions.  Also do we have enough central midfielders to fill those spaces and it does makes us small across the pitch. 

The other way would be 4-5-1/4-3-3 with David behind Larin.  But you do shackle Davies and Tajon a little with that and the concerns about the back 4 remain. 

Thoughts.