General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah and in the preview they said they were also going to get into the labour dispute too.   I would rather the focus on the upcoming footy.  

I don’t mind them updating the fans about the player dispute, but that interview clip about human rights in Qatar was just bizarre. It was like Herdman  was answering a different question because he didn’t really understand why the hell Westhead was asking him the question to begin with. And why was Harry Kane mentioned, what human rights crimes has he committed?

Edited by Gian-Luca

I missed that one.  what i found puzzling is the discussion of the defensive depth.  We played a backline of three most of qualifying, so why have depth chart showing Adekube and  Laryea as Defenders.   They played more in MF and would drop back if needed to support the backline. Ie.: giving them the flexibity to switch  to a backline of 4 or 5.      I would not consider our formation as being a flat back four

Edited by Free kick

Very weird that they sent Scianitti, Caldwell and Wileman to Vienna so that they could give pre-recorded segments standing outside some government building or hotel, rather than talking to players at the camp, the coaching staff (other than that bizarre pre-recorded Westhead clip sort-of talking to Herdman about human rights crimes apparently committed by Harry Kane, among others). 

Still, I am glad they did this show and I did like the new host

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I missed that one.  

I was being facetious - they mentioned and showed a clip of Kennedy and De Guzman mentioned his name as well, but his name was missing from the depth chart graphic which I am assuming was an oversight by whoever did the graphic 

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The certified fresh Julian DeGuzman lineup predictions - along with Borjan, Crepeau and St. Clair rounding things off.  

1F382D06-BC09-4B13-9B4D-89D9D3D1A533.jpeg

7EBE0AF9-0F15-425A-980E-F8D858C33863.jpeg

37C31218-FA6D-4DD2-A1FD-F9626D50ABDF.jpeg

That chart would have made more sense if it read:

Fwds

A Mids

D Mids

Defs

We have players to suite very flexible and changeable tactics and formations.  So several players cant really be slotted into one of those three groups.  He is asumming a 4-4-2

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That chart would have made more sense if it read:

Fwds

A Mids

D Mids

Defs

We have players to suite very flexible and changeable tactics and formations.  So several players cant really be slotted into one of those three groups.  He is asumming a 4-4-2

Pretty sure he (and maybe even KJ) have done that before in pre games.  

59 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I missed that one.  what i found puzzling is the discussion of the defensive depth.  We played a backline of three most of qualifying, so why have depth chart showing Adekube and  Laryea as Defenders.   They played more in MF and would drop back if needed to support the backline. Ie.: giving them the flexibity to switch  to a backline of 4 or 5.      I would not consider our formation as being a flat back four

Adekugbe I understand. Our formation would often rotate into a 4 at the back with Johnston moving over to a more traditional RB spot and Adekugbe slotting back at LB.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The certified fresh Julian DeGuzman lineup predictions - along with Borjan, Crepeau and St. Clair rounding things off.  

1F382D06-BC09-4B13-9B4D-89D9D3D1A533.jpeg

7EBE0AF9-0F15-425A-980E-F8D858C33863.jpeg

37C31218-FA6D-4DD2-A1FD-F9626D50ABDF.jpeg

Would Herdman really take Henry over Koleosho? Unless he gets relegated to the B team and stays there, I don't see how you leave a La Liga player off this roster, especially one that is 18 years old and eligible for the United States.

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would Herdman really take Henry over Koleosho? Unless he gets relegated to the B team and stays there, I don't see how you leave a La Liga player off this roster, especially one that is 18 years old and eligible for the United States.

Would you take Henry over Kennedy under present playing form? Yes, people say that Kennedy is in a bit of a slump, but Henry's form is very poor of late. Hopefully these matches show their present form for comparison purposes.

12 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Would you take Henry over Kennedy under present playing form? Yes, people say that Kennedy is in a bit of a slump, but Henry's form is very poor of late. Hopefully these matches show their present form for comparison purposes.

I wouldn't, nor do I see it coming down to that. Henry's competition is Waterman, not Kennedy. 

On 9/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, PastPros said:

A general question about formation makeup:

If you're playing a back 3, why is it preferred that that central defender is right-footed?

e.g. why wouldn't Kamal Miller be a good fit for that position?

I love this question because I believe the whole line of argument is flawed.

Most strikers are right footed, and they play on either side of the attack. As a CB you need to attack that strong foot, or force the striker off it, and it means with your left. Not crossing your right across your body to block as many do, which also means you're partially turned, and vulnerable.

It's radically more important to block or nullify a shot than a cross. If we force Lukaku to constantly hold up and pass we're doing a great job. Wherever side of the attack he plays.

Some think a lefty as right CB and a righty on the left ensures you hold the centre of the attack better, turning them outside.

In our back three, at any given moment the central CB is the  left CB or the right, since Canada asks the outside players to go challenge a wing attack if there is no coverage. Which I like, then the DM drops in, the opposite side wing back covers far post wide. We did this nicely at times; also, many key goals against we screwed it up (Mexico's first in Azteca).

Then there's other ideas, like we've seen at Barça, where you choose CB feet and position in function of how you build your possession from the back. How you want them to receive from the keeper and pass out.

Good CBs play either side and defend with the wrong foot, it's one of the most important things to train, along with positioning, shoulder advantage, when to bump and press into a striker and when not.

You'll observe most great CB pairings, like Maldini-Nesta, played the same more or less regardless of the rival. If I'm wrong I hope those who know better correct me. Today I'm going to waste time watching Nesta - Maldini videos.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Kennedy has just won the starting spot back at Jahn and they won. If that holds there's no discussion.

Millar can't be below Theo on any depth chart.

Getting back to the WC predictions. 

First, I feel we are going to be proud of the team. Not sure how though.

Second, the most likely scenario is to lose one of the matches the way we lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup. Playing amazingly, getting knocked out because the rival was superior in the crunch. 

That concerns me because it is exactly what we did against France in '86. And I don't want that to be the only take from Qatar. 

Third, remembering '86, you don't want to see you played great first match, got nothing from it, then deflated. And played worse the next two. Because you'd focussed on that first result, logically, then could not get out of the hole of the first loss. 

So concluding: the highest reasonable expectation, the one you'd hope for as a Canada fan, is to get at least a point from the first 2 matches. Meaning you face Morocco with an outside chance of making the round of 16 with a win, 4 points. It does not even matter if that point is a scoreless draw.

Fourth, whatever happens, when we score our first WC goal, I am going to be near tears, not real tears but I'll swell up with pride; and be happy for whoever scores it. Any of them at all, I am fine with absolutely any player on the squad being the hero. 

After that, if you make it out of the group, everything is a gift and you enjoy the hell out of it. Facing Germany, Spain, in round of 16, we are not dumb here. Playing 4 matches at a WC and 3 of four are Belgium, Croatia and Germany, say, that is amazing.

I would feel very very sad for Henry to be excluded. But he has not played for moths and will not play till the WC (if he does not recover soon). Arguably he is our worst defender. 

Kennedy and Cornelius are both locks. They both start and play the whole game in decent leagues. 

I can see Waterman being dropped for Koliosho. Waterman is loved here and I agree his story is awesome. But he is a very big unknown. This camp will tell a lot weather he can actually contain guys like an Davies, David, Milar, Ugbo........ From what I see from clips and pundits, is that he distributes the ball well but is a reliability on defense, especially when players are running at him. We have Kennedy who is also a very good ball distributor. So I do not see a need for him. It would be different if he was a LB. But he is not. 

IF it was up to me  and it isn't. I would keep Henry for the locker-room and Bring on Koliosho. A La Liga player who can gel with the team and be part of our 5 headed monster in 2026 (Davies, Kolisho, David, Eustaquio, Kone, Tajon?)

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think Waterman will make the squad if he does good this window. 

He plays all 3 spots in a back 3 for Montreal. So he will be good cover.

He is familiar with Miller and Johnston.

The current call-up is the Qatar squad, plus Hutch and Tajon. Minus Brym. How many is that?

Then factor in injuries that would put a player out of the entire tournament.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The current call-up is the Qatar squad, plus Hutch and Tajon. Minus Brym. How many is that?

Then factor in injuries that would put a player out of the entire tournament.

I'm predicting Atiba gets put in the 26 no matter what. Even if he has zero chance of playing.

And a guy like Koleosho won't end up in the final 26 if he remains a B squad player this fall for Espanyol, which is totally possible.

TFC only have 2 matches left. Can Henry do enough to get back in the 26? 

5 hours ago, Vasi said:

Kennedy and Cornelius are both locks. They both start and play the whole game in decent leagues. 

Kennedy wasn't until the last 3 games, this season.  His team lost 0-6 and the 0-4 and then they put him in the starting 11 again, 7 games in. Their results have been 0-0, 0-3, and 2-0 since, so hopefully he can help them regain some form.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford