General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I don't understand the underrating of Piette.  I was skimming through the Arfield thread and there were a few comments lauding Arfield's game against the US as a reason why he should be called back but in that game Piette played out of his head.  He was a big reason we won that one.

Further to that, his game has progressed and he's having a great season at the exact right time for the World Cup.  I really think he'd be fine stepping in to the MAK role with Eustaquio and his defensive acumen might be something we need going up against the likes of Belgium and Croatia.

Really hope these next two games make a few believers out of some.

Piette was Man of the match in that game.   It was that performance that sealed it for me that he belongs on this squad.  The US were unable to get any buildup or momentum going and many times, it was Piette who was there nullify any kind of US threat.   And its not just me saying it,   I was hearing the same around me in the stadium and on the way home (amongst the crowd) in public transit.  And this was from a Toronto crowd talking about a Montreal player.

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, PastPros said:

A general question about formation makeup:

If you're playing a back 3, why is it preferred that that central defender is right-footed?

e.g. why wouldn't Kamal Miller be a good fit for that position?

Depends on balance and how you play it. You could probably play two FB cum CB type players on the sides, like Miller and Johnston, however you would want your central CB good in the air and positionally savvy. The other option is play two prototypical CBs on the sides, and a smart ball playing CB through the middle. Or a mixture? 

11 hours ago, PastPros said:

If you're playing a back 3, why is it preferred that that central defender is right-footed?

I swear this is a new phenomenon. 

Until recently I dont recall anyone anywhere ever talking about what foot a CB is comfortable with

11 hours ago, PastPros said:

Are you talking specific to Canada? Personally I like to think of our LCB/RCB as pseudo fullbacks at times so I like the idea of a LCB who has experience at full back similar to a Johnston at RCB. 

Miller, while at Orlando, mostly played LB.

I also discovered Johnston with CMNT and I was fully impressed to discover what RCB was. Always thought it was his main position, but he made me change my mind this season with Montréal as RB. Still believe he’s great at both.

Edited by MauditYvon

59 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Miller, while at Orlando, mostly played LB.

I also discovered Johnston with CMNT and I was fully impressed to discover what RCB was. Always thought it was his main position, but he made me change my mind this season with Montréal as RB. Still believe he’s great at both.

Naw I still like/prefer him at RCB for Canada. He’s behind too many guys for me to play on the outside Laryea, Buchanan, Hoilett, and even Millar. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Are you talking specific to Canada? Personally I like to think of our LCB/RCB as pseudo fullbacks at times so I like the idea of a LCB who has experience at full back similar to a Johnston at RCB. 

I've only really ever heard it discussed in Canada's context, so not sure if it's actually "a thing"... But playing a back 3 is somewhat of a new fad as well.

My question is more about the guy in the middle. If he's good in the air and defending, what difference does it make which is his preferred foot?

Edited by PastPros

17 minutes ago, PastPros said:

I've only really ever heard it discussed in Canada's context, so not sure if it's actually "a thing"... But playing a back 3 is somewhat of a new fad as well.

My question is more about the guy in the middle. If he's good in the air and defending, what difference does it make which is his preferred foot?

Best not tell Terry Venables that.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kevin Kilbane krapping all over Koleosho’s inklusion in the Kanada roster (sorry I can’t seem to say the letter “c” like the guy in the Monty Python tourist sketch)

Seemed like an odd take to me.  

I also though it was funny that he was staring at Julian while saying his bit, knowing that Jonathan ended up playing elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Seemed like an odd take to me.  

I also though it was funny that he was staring at Julian while saying his bit, knowing that Jonathan ended up playing elsewhere. 

i wanted to hear JDG's thoughts on that but the interviewer interjected with another question. Unfortunately

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kevin Kilbane krapping all over Koleosho’s inklusion in the Kanada roster (sorry I can’t seem to say the letter “c” like the guy in the Monty Python tourist sketch)

Love Monty Python!

I see his point, unless a deal is struck where he goes to the World Cup, and will be cap-tied.

Bring in Raheem Edwards, at least he has a shot to get some playing time.