General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

55 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I always have one or two of these.  It started back with Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson when they went to Millwall.  I  used to stream radio broadcasts of those games and still remember the first time Serioux took a throw in and it led straight to a goal against Leicester (I think?).  The announcers were gobsmacked.  It was great.  It went as far as joining a Millwall message board until I realized exactly what some of those fans were all about.  Promptly left but still have a Josh Simpson signed Millwall jersey somewhere in my closet.

Right now it's Jayden Nelson.  I'm glad he's playing for TFC because I shudder to think what costs I would have to incur to stream his games if (when?) he goes to Europe.

Kone is another one.  I'm pissed that most CFM games are streamed solely on TVA a lot otherwise I'd happily watch more of him.  Pretty sure tonight's game is on TSN.

Haha..  Adrian is a good dude.. played with him back in the day.  Impossible to forget the "welcome" he gave to Beckham in MLS lol

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

- Liam Millar, he had an excellent first season with Basel, he's one of our few guys who has been able to consistently put in goals, I think he has an extra gear that can elevate him to an even better league at his prime.

- Kone because I love the story of him being a purely Montreal born & raised player who looks like he has the potential to really go all the way. His ascent has been lightning fast, and as someone who thinks that Montreal and Quebec in general would reap amazing rewards with a better focus on talent cultivation, I see him as the inspiration that gets more kids involved, and that gets the powers that be start investing more in growing the sport in the province.

- Alistair Johnston purely for the reason that he does not look like a guy who is a professional athlete- he's a cross between a nerdy gym teacher and an IT guy, but he's so good. He reminds me of those typical 3rd line hockey players- the 5'8 players from Quebec who would drop the mitts with a 6'4 goon, run through glass for the team, and as a guy who was born on the west coast and lived in Montreal and Toronto, he represents our country's three best soccer markets which is a cool story too.

For a deeper cut, I really wanna see Aribim Pepple succeed. From the CPL to getting signed by a Championship team, I think him succeeding goes a long way to proving concept for the CPL, and helps put domestic Canadian soccer on the map. To a slightly lesser extent, any of the other CPL guys who have moved to Europe this year as well.

Kone was raised in Montreal but was born in the Ivory Coast.

For young guns it is Kone and Nelson for me.  They are the two guys I get to watch regularly who I think are a bit special, and they are the ones I pay attention to when I see their games.   I could see both in our midfield in 2026.

Like Obina I still also have a soft spot for Tabla, but I am not confident we will see him elevate his game to a point where he once again becomes relevant for the Nats.  We have attackers who are both younger and already playing at a much higher level (Miller and Corbeanu) so it is hard to see him on the national radar.  

In terms of a more continental choice, I still have big expectations for Tajon and think he can elevate his game to the next level and be a big team player in a couple of years.  Not many of our players are capable of the kinds of moves he has shown us, and I think he can be a huge part of our sustained attacking success for the next decade.  

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Like Obina I still also have a soft spot for Tabla, but I am not confident we will see him elevate his game to a point where he once again becomes relevant for the Nats.  We have attackers who are both younger and already playing at a much higher level (Miller and Corbeanu) so it is hard to see him on the national radar.  

Similar to the Tabla soft spot, I held out hope for Jordan Hamilton, Dario Zanatta, and Anthony Jackson-Hamel for a long while. It fell off with the rise of our attackers, but for a long while they were my hopes for a goal scoring threat.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This is hard. I love all of these guys. But I will go with..

Kennedy - He's had a somewhat unique climb up the professional ladder in the era of MLS academies, which is cool. So many Albertans get funneled into the Whitecaps system, but he went straight to Europe and started at the bottom, basically. Now he's entering his 3rd straight season in the 2. Bundesliga. Great accomplishment. He's also a Calgarian and his Dad posts here and gives us some insights into Scott, so he's a fun player to follow and cheer for. 

Tabla - This one is a bit weird, because I have been very critical of him over the years, but that was because I still believe in his potential, even with him dropping down to the CPL with Ottawa. It's either that, or I just haven't let go of the fact he was suppose to be a generational player for Canada. Regardless, I am still cheering for him harder than some others. If he can even just reach half of his potential he'll find his way back onto the national team. 

Nelson - I am a sucker for skilled, inventive, technical attackers. Similar to Tabla, Jayden Nelson seemed to be "the next guy" when he was starring for our U17s in the World Cup. Now that he's playing in midfield, a position we could use depth in, I am cheering for him even more, plus he looks like a young JDG out there in the center with that Afro. Bonus points for that!

.....I'll stop there, lest I go through ever player in the pool and find reasons to have a "soft-spot" for them. 

Nelson?? Really? It seems like whenever he had the ball he ran like a chicken with his head cut off. I like creative players but it seems like he runs into trouble & loses is a ton.

I’m really high on Dayne St. Clair. Came from nowhere, and I was worried about Borjan’s possible retirement or level drop in few years. Now we have him and Crépeau who do great. Still have hope for Pantemis and Hasal, and Goodman or Odunze could commit. Always important to have competition between your goalkeepers.

3 hours ago, QBCS said:

Nelson?? Really? It seems like whenever he had the ball he ran like a chicken with his head cut off. I like creative players but it seems like he runs into trouble & loses is a ton.

That was unfortunately common when he played out wide, but I don't think we've seen it much since his switch to the middle of the park, have we? 

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

This is the speech Michael Sheen would give to the Welsh national team before playing England in Qatar.

So, who gives the Canadian version of this? 

My choice would be Eugene Levy.  Might have a different energy to it though.

How about Daniel Levy?

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

This is the speech Michael Sheen would give to the Welsh national team before playing England in Qatar.

So, who gives the Canadian version of this? 

My choice would be Eugene Levy.  Might have a different energy to it though.

Classic.  He's got me pumped up.    

So Hutch may not play club footy before Qatar (and has been inactive since June).  

Osorio has some mysterious injury that has kept him out of the lineup for a while now.  

Tajon hasn’t played for Brugge in quite a while.  

We are one or two more injuries away from potentially being in a full blown crisis going into November.  Anyone else have a permanently clenched sphincter thinking about the current situation? 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

So Hutch may not play club footy before Qatar (and has been inactive since June).  

Osorio has some mysterious injury that has kept him out of the lineup for a while now.  

We are one or two more injuries away from potentially being in a full blown crisis going into November.  Anyone else have a permanently clenched sphincter thinking about the current situation? 

Everytime I see someone penciling in Hutch and Vitoria as locks for WC it gave me a queasy feeling.  We have been riding these guys a long time, and have been lucky they have been as durable and stayed at such a high level, but maybe I am just a negative guy.  I thought it would be CB..but Kamal has really stepped up and we might be ok if something unfortunate happens to Vitoria.  But now, if Hutch is a non factor, Oso is off, a combo of Eustaq/Kaye, Eustaq/Piette or Eustaq/Kone for 3 WC games just doesnt fill me with excitement.

I know who I would be politely asking, if they really couldnt let bygones be bygones..reconsider and give canada 45 min or so in Qatar.  

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Everytime I see someone penciling in Hutch and Vitoria as locks for WC it gave me a queasy feeling.  We have been riding these guys a long time, and have been lucky they have been as durable and stayed at such a high level, but maybe I am just a negative guy.  I thought it would be CB..but Kamal has really stepped up and we might be ok if something unfortunate happens to Vitoria.  But now, if Hutch is a non factor, Oso is off, a combo of Eustaq/Kaye, Eustaq/Piette or Eustaq/Kone for 3 WC games just doesnt fill me with excitement.

I know who I would be politely asking, if they really couldnt let bygones be bygones..reconsider and give canada 45 min or so in Qatar.  

Arfield.

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

At least for Hutchinson, he can play in our 3 friendlies.

edit : damn I missed the injury part. Would be so sad for him and all of us if he misses the biggest competition of his life.

Edited by MauditYvon

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d imagine Koleosho and Jebbison will be in the squad. 

Would be excited if that was the case. Seems unlikely as he has been injured and also made noise about wanting to go to a states camp before deciding. Will be interesting to see if he gets the US call. We will inevitably hear that squad before we release ours. 

Hopeful on Jebbison though and a fools hope with Holmes. 

20 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Would be excited if that was the case. Seems unlikely as he has been injured and also made noise about wanting to go to a states camp before deciding. Will be interesting to see if he gets the US call. We will inevitably hear that squad before we release ours. 

Nah that's just him trying to put pressure on Canada to call and cap him....well it worked for Flores and Mitrovic :)

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Well Jebbison is a given, he follows Rutty, Corbeanu and Davies and the CSA…. So