General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

55 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Re-watching Ted Lasso has me wondering, where would Thierry Zoreaux be on our GK depth chart? Starter for a promoted Championship club and probably will be the starter for Richmond in the Premier League. I figure he'd be at worst #2 right?

We don't get much sense of the calibre of his play on the show, but just based on who he plays for, yeah, you'd assume he'd at worst be behind only Borjan.

Edited by Colonel Green

TSN replayed the 2018 WC  round of 16 Brazil v Mexico match yesterday. Many of the Mexican players from that match squared off against our CMNT in WCQ where we came away with 4 points in 2 matches.  Carlos Salcedo started for Mexico btw. Although Mexico looked much stronger than in Concacaf WCQ Brazil were simply majestic. Its going to be an enormous task to get results in our group 🤞

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

TSN replayed the 2018 WC  round of 16 Brazil v Mexico match yesterday. Many of the Mexican players from that match squared off against our CMNT in WCQ where we came away with 4 points in 2 matches.  Carlos Salcedo started for Mexico btw. Although Mexico looked much stronger than in Concacaf WCQ Brazil were simply majestic. Its going to be an enormous task to get results in our group 🤞

They also played the Belgium - Japan from the same round, where Japan goes up 2-0 and the Belgians come back. Winning in stoppage time. 

Lesson: if you get chances, take them. Then if you get ahead, be far tougher staying ahead. 

Shithousery comes to mind. Good keeping and defending set plays as well. 

Funny I was watching that imagining the dark blue team was us. 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They also played the Belgium - Japan from the same round, where Japan goes up 2-0 and the Belgians come back. Winning in stoppage time. 

Lesson: if you get chances, take them. Then if you get ahead, be far tougher staying ahead. 

Funny I was watching that imagining the dark blue team was us. 

I remember that Belgium Japan match well (as my wife is Belgian so they are my second team).  Japan were very naive and still tried to attack them when they were up 2-0. Indeed, even at 2-2, they were attacking late, only to lose the ball in the final third and we’re killed on the counter. They played the exact opposite to how we should play Belgium.  Sit back, soak up the pressure, and kill them on the counter with our speed (Davies, David, Buchanan) against their ageing defence.  I actually think we have a good shot against them for this reason. Croatia actually worries me more these days.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

I remember that Belgium Japan match well (as my wife is Belgian so they are my second team).  Japan were very naive and still tried to attack them when they were up 2-0. Indeed, even at 2-2, they were attacking late, only to lose the ball in the final third and we’re killed on the counter. They played the exact opposite to how we should play Belgium.  Sit back, soak up the pressure, and kill them on the counter with our speed (Davies, David, Buchanan) against their ageing defence.  I actually think we have a good shot against them for this reason. Croatia actually worries me more these days.

To add to this Kawashima is a very underwhelming keeper and can never seem to keep Japan in any matches. Don't know why they've relied on him for so long.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, VinceA said:

To add to this Kawashima is a very underwhelming keeper and can never seem to keep Japan in any matches. Don't know why they've relied on him for so long.

He's tall and athletic.  In Japan that will make you the starting keeper for the national team for about 15 years.  (I can say that because I'm Japanese 😀 ☹️)

On 7/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

These are the very three things that Japan is not good at and probably never will be.  ☹️

On 7/13/2022 at 1:50 AM, An Observer said:

I agree, except that Japan can only play one way - i.e. clever attack-minded football.  We (Japan is my second team) lack the size and physicality to park the bus effectively (when we do it, it's more like parking the minivan or a number of small mopeds), and lack the pace to be dangerous on the counter.  Canada is entirely different of course - and that's why I think we (my first team 😉) have a chance (albeit small) against almost anyone.  That sheer athleticism makes us dangerous.

Edited by GasPed

45 minutes ago, GasPed said:

These are the very three things that Japan is not good at and probably never will be.  ☹️

I agree, except that Japan can only play one way - i.e. clever attack-minded football.  We (Japan is my second team) lack the size and physicality to park the bus effectively (when we do it, it's more like parking the minivan or a number of small mopeds), and lack the pace to be dangerous on the counter.  Canada is entirely different of course - and that's why I think we (my first team 😉) have a chance (albeit small) against almost anyone.  That sheer athleticism makes us dangerous.

As observed above, the Japan keeping in that match vs Belgium was also suspect. Not bad, because they were coming on strong and he did make a few good stops; but the first goal to get Belgium back in was weekly defended and the keeper should have had it.

So it is clear you need some big keeping moments to get results. We had a few of those with Borjan and also Crepeau over qualifying, just hope the standard holds up in the crunch.

Canadians in MLS

Sorry for the delay, I've had some vacation time and some work trips that have delayed posting an update.  We have already had 48 Canadians play in the MLS so far this season.  In comparison for the entirety of 2021 - 45 Canadians, 2020 - 41 Canadians, 2019 - 32 Canadians.  We have already surpassed total minutes played by Canadians in 2019 and the shortened 2020 season and are well on our way to surpassing 2021 minutes as well.

Canadian Player Minutes by Club

Montreal - 7,449 minutes - 9,249 minutes including Goalkeeping

Toronto - 11,180 minutes

Vancouver - 5,334 minutes - 6,359 minutes including Goalkeeping

US MLS Teams - 3,197 minutes - 6,617 minutes including Goalkeeping

Stats provided by MLS.com.

Player Team POS GP GS MP G A P% T INT Duel %
Alistair Johnston Montreal RB 20 19 1626 1 4 86.2% 16 19 47.5%
Luca Petrasso Toronto LB 20 20 1592 0 4 74.2% 13 17 51.0%
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 19 18 1560 0 6 79.4% 30 23 50.5%
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 17 17 1517 2 1 88.2% 10 16 55.8%
Mark Anthony Kaye Toronto CM 19 17 1439 3 1 82.4% 26 23 58.8%
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 17 16 1431 1 3 84.1% 7 14 61.2%
Kosi Thompson Toronto CM 19 16 1367 1 2 77.9% 14 19 54.0%
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 18 16 1351 0 1 82.5% 15 23 36.2%
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 19 16 1247 1 2 81.8% 18 8 40.0%
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 16 14 1133 5 6 90.2% 12 13 55.9%
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 17 13 1124 6 2 74.2% 9 3 49.8%
Deandre Kerr Toronto ST 16 9 1039 3 0 76.3% 9 6 45.5%
Ismael Kone Montreal CM 15 11 997 1 3 84.9% 4 7 59.5%
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 20 11 947 2 3 74.7% 9 17 54.1%
Lukas MacNaughton Toronto CB 14 9 890 0 0 81.9% 4 17 52.8%
Marcus Godinho Vancouver RB 14 9 716 0 0 81.7% 8 6 65.3%
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 13 7 669 1 0 73.5% 4 2 44.2%
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 12 7 664 2 0 84.8% 12 2 56.2%
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 11 6 613 0 1 85.5% 8 7 61.9%
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 16 5 591 2 1 82.3% 2 0 40.8%
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 13 6 590 0 0 88.4% 14 3 46.9%
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 13 6 578 0 2 69.1% 7 8 42.2%
Kadin Chung Toronto CM 8 5 451 0 1 82.5% 10 8 60.4%
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 11 3 365 0 0 80.3% 9 2 45.2%
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 16 2 364 0 0 71.6% 2 2 46.9%
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 12 2 345 2 2 82.5% 1 3 30.6%
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 10 3 342 0 0 90.6% 8 6 66.7%
Ralph Priso-Mbongue Colorado CM 11 5 319 1 0 83.3% 10 5 100.0%
Jordan Peruzza Toronto ST 13 1 223 0 0 63.6% 0 0 42.1%
Jacen Russell-Rowe Columbus ST 5 3 207 0 2 65.5% 3 1 59.1%
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST 12 1 193 2 1 66.7% 2 0 46.5%
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 9 1 169 0 0 83.2% 0 2 35.3%
Noble Okello Toronto CM 4 1 156 0 0 75.9% 3 2 79.0%
Doneil Henry Los Angeles FC CB 5 2 133 0 0 88.4% 0 1 45.5%
Rida Zouhir Montreal CM 4 1 110 0 0 77.6% 0 0 42.9%
Ali Ahmed Vancouver CM 1 0 33 0 0 88.9% 0 1 50.0%
Steffen Yeates Toronto CM 2 0 31 0 0 76.9% 1 0 50.0%
Mo Farsi Columbus RB 2 0 23 0 0 88.9% 0 0 50.0%
Kobe Franklin Toronto RB 1 0 13 0 0 100.0% 0 0 50.0%
Themi Antonoglou Toronto CM 1 0 10 0 0 100.0% 0 0 100.0%
Emiliano Brienza Vancouver ST 1 0 2 0 0 83.3% 0 0 0.0%
Shaan Hundal Miami CM                  
Callum Montgomery Minnesota CB                  
Tani Oluwaseyi Minnesota ST                  
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST                  
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM                  
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal CB                  
Karifa Yao Montreal CB                  
Tomas Giraldo Montreal CM                  
Sean Rea Montreal CM                  
Adam Pearlman Toronto DF                  
Mehdi Essoussi Toronto CM                  
Luke Singh Toronto CB                  
Vasco Fry Vancouver ST                  
Matteo Campagna Vancouver CM                  
Simon Colyn Vancouver CM                  
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM                  
Derek Cornelious Vancouver CB                  
Damiano Pecile Vancouver CM                  

Player Team POS GP GS MP S S % P% GA GAA Wins
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 19 19 1710 45 71.4% 58.5% 23 1.21 9
Maxime Crepeau Los Angeles GK 19 19 1710 39 66.1% 69.8% 20 1.05 13
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK 19 19 1710 41 54.0% 78.6% 35 1.84 9
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK 9 9 790 27 61.4% 54.3% 17 1.94 2
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK 2 1 135 7 87.5% 50.0% 1 0.67 0
James Pantemis Montreal GK 1 1 90 4 100.0% 84.6% 0 0 1
Max Anchor Vancouver GK 1 1 90 4 66.7% 58.3% 2 2 0
Greg Ranjitsingh Toronto GK                  
Jonathan Sirois Montreal GK                  
Luka Gavran Toronto GK                  
Ben Alexander Vancouver GK                  
Nikolaos Giantsopoulos Vancouver GK                  
Edited by Corazon

I was looking on transfermarkt and it reminded me how little depth we have at CB and how it’s a major concern for the future so here is my ranking of our Top 10, I won’t be including people who can play it but isn’t natural like Hutchinson and Priso but will include people who I see having a future at CB with CANMNT like smith and johnstone

1:Vitoria, will most likely retire after this World Cup.

2:Miller, Will be around for a while hope he can get a move abroad sometime within a few years 

3:Johnston, Only would play in a back 3 but really good when he plays in it also hope he can go to Europe soon too, Will be around for a while aswell

4:Kennedy, I think he’s been amazing when he plays for CANMNT and he’s also fairly young but his lack of PT end of last year and start of this year concerns me, seemed like he was destined for a bundesliga move for a bit last year now he’s fighting for PT.

5:Henry, Most likely his last cycle

6:Cornelius, Solid player but I don’t really see him as a guy I would want to be having on a 2026 World Cup plane

7:Waterman, Really Rate him, see him as a guy who will be a good MLS CB for a while not a bad guy to have as your 7/8 CB

8:Smith, He’s the future of our CB position I hope could definitely see him becoming a sure thing in Europe as early as next season for Nice and we’re gonna need him that’s for sure

9:Mcnaugton, Has had his Ups and downs in the MLS I like him more than others but don’t really see him having a future in the NT and I hope someone his caliber doesn’t have to

10:Yao, I really rate him I think if his parent club wasn’t Montreal who aren’t in need of CB and it was Toronto or Vancouver he would be a sure thing at CB for either of them. But I think having him for CF Montreal will help them want to sell Miller to Europe more.

CB is a real problem right now and in the future, If we lose Vitoria and Henry the depth gets very thin. We need more CBs playing in the MLS just for depth and I wouldn’t be suprised to see Yao take the step up next year but for the future we really need guys like Smith, Knight-Lebel, Ferdinand and Yao to work out but also guys like halbouni and others start getting minutes and I know CB is a hard position to predict and sometimes they just pop out of nowhere so we’re gonna need to bank on getting a few pop out of nowhere sometime soon.

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

I was looking on transfermarkt and it reminded me how little depth we have at CB and how it’s a major concern for the future so here is my ranking of our Top 10, I won’t be including people who can play it but isn’t natural like Hutchinson and Priso but will include people who I see having a future at CB with CANMNT like smith and johnstone

2:Miller, Will be around for a while hope he can get a move abroad sometime within a few years 

3:Johnston, Only would play in a back 3 but really good when he plays in it also hope he can go to Europe soon too, Will be around for a while aswell

4:Kennedy, I think he’s been amazing when he plays for CANMNT and he’s also fairly young but his lack of PT end of last year and start of this year concerns me, seemed like he was destined for a bundesliga move for a bit last year now he’s fighting for PT.

6:Cornelius, Solid player but I don’t really see him as a guy I would want to be having on a 2026 World Cup plane

7:Waterman, Really Rate him, see him as a guy who will be a good MLS CB for a while not a bad guy to have as your 7/8 CB

8:Smith, He’s the future of our CB position I hope could definitely see him becoming a sure thing in Europe as early as next season for Nice and we’re gonna need him that’s for sure

9:Mcnaugton, Has had his Ups and downs in the MLS I like him more than others but don’t really see him having a future in the NT and I hope someone his caliber doesn’t have to

10:Yao, I really rate him I think if his parent club wasn’t Montreal who aren’t in need of CB and it was Toronto or Vancouver he would be a sure thing at CB for either of them. But I think having him for CF Montreal will help them want to sell Miller to Europe more.

CB is a real problem right now and in the future, If we lose Vitoria and Henry the depth gets very thin. We need more CBs playing in the MLS just for depth and I wouldn’t be suprised to see Yao take the step up next year but for the future we really need guys like Smith, Knight-Lebel, Ferdinand and Yao to work out but also guys like halbouni and others start getting minutes and I know CB is a hard position to predict and sometimes they just pop out of nowhere so we’re gonna need to bank on getting a few pop out of nowhere sometime soon.

TBH, that's way better than 2019 when we had Vitoria, Henry, Cornelius and random CPL'er/Atiba.

Is there any hope that one of our MLS Academies or CPL teams will produce a CB good enough for our national team… I mean is there a coach/program who is consistently improving CB’s - a defensive guru?
I’m also asking this because I’d think it’s more likely to be discovered by or trial and stick with a European club at a young age if you play an offensive position.

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

I think you missed Halbouni but I would also add Mateeo Campanga, the kid at Fulham whose name I forgot, possibly the guy at Reading, the guy who played for the US at U20 qualifying and Julian Dunn (currently injured) to the list.  We definitely need over the next couple of years a few of the guys you mentioned at 6 to 10 plus my list plus maybe a couple of more out of the CPL, MLS academies or NCAA to emerge (and some to commit) and play at a high level so that going into 2026 we are much improved at that end from where we are now.

CB is not our worst sector. You just named 10 players and you could add Halbouni, James or Sturing. Tom Holmes still might be a possibility.  

For 2023-2030 cycle, we gonna play 4 Gold Cups and (hopefully) 2 World Cups. Assuming it will be 26 men rosters, you basically need 6 CB since we play with 3 CB and you might need to use Johnston's versatility and put him at RB for injury/suspension. So you really want 4 of them to be regulars. 

1-4 : Johnston, Kennedy and Miller are locks and they could play at a higher lever sooner than you think. Then I can't believe that just one of Smith, Halbouni, Campagna, Holmes or Yao won't have a nice career.

5-6 : You want guys like Henry here. Waterman, Cornelius and possibly Sturing/Dunn can fill up that role.

Ceiling is high and floor is also high. I'm pretty satisfied with the pool.

Offensive midfielder is the real concern. Osorio, Hoilett and Wotherspoon are aging. We lost Flores, we will also lose Dias and Mitrovic. I don't see any real good prospects at this position.

Edited by MauditYvon

So JH has used a 3-5-2, 4-4-2 and a 3-4-3. Although the 3-5-2 seems to be the most popular set up on this board, at the WC do we want to see Davies and Tajon at WB in a 3-5-2 system where they will probably be spending more time defending vs attacking? For me I would rather have Adekugbe and Johnston/Laryea as wide defenders with Tajon and Davies more advanced where they can use their speed and 1v1 skill in attack or simply pressure the opposition to keep their wide defenders/mids back. Playing with 2 strikers seems like a luxury we could afford during WCQ but I think we will get burnt at Qatar.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

So JH has used a 3-5-2, 4-4-2 and a 3-4-3. Although the 3-5-2 seems to be the most popular set up on this board, at the WC do we want to see Davies and Tajon at WB in a 3-5-2 system where they will probably be spending more time defending vs attacking? For me I would rather have Adekugbe and Johnston/Laryea as wide defenders with Tajon and Davies more advanced where they can use their speed and 1v1 skill in attack or simply pressure the opposition to keep their wide defenders/mids back. Playing with 2 strikers seems like a luxury we could afford during WCQ but I think we will get burnt at Qatar.

What I noticed is once Adekugbe emerged, the 3-5-2 went out of style. In that formation, which personally is my favourite, you can't run both Davies and Adekugbe, or you have to put Davies up top but then you remove one of Larin or David, which Herdman doesn't really like doing.

7 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Offensive midfielder is the real concern. Osorio, Hoilett and Wotherspoon are aging. We lost Flores, we will also lose Dias and Mitrovic. I don't see any real good prospects at this position.

Not sure I agree.  I know they are currently being used largely on the outside but I think both Nelson and JMR have skillsets that give them potential as attacking mids in the center part of the field.  I also think Kone could ultimately play in a slightly more advanced role than he currently occupies. Even someone like Jacen Russell Rowe seems like he could evolve into an attacking centre mid rather than an out and out striker.  None of them may be outright 10s but as a CAM I think all of them are legit prospects.