General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He said they ate chicken wings and drank beers before facing Canada and beat us. 

And this is the reason why I can't stand him and Sebastian Salazar. They just spew shit out of their ass. It's actually surprising how a former professional (Gomez) who's had a respective career playing in MLS and Liga MX can sound so egregiously stupid. Salazar is worse.

A pet peeve of mine is when people don't do their research and your on TV or a national platform wrongfully talking about something that could've simply been googled. Majority of times it screams American Ignorance. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

And this is the reason why I can't stand him and Sebastian Salazar. They just spew shit out of their ass. It's actually surprising how a former professional (Gomez) who's had a respective career playing in MLS and Liga MX can sound so egregiously stupid. Salazar is worse.

A pet peeve of mine is when people don't do their research and your on TV or a national platform wrongfully talking about something that could've simply been googled. Majority of times it screams American Ignorance. 

I don't know why folks give credence to these "opinions", they are asked by their producers to take these postures as they get reactions, likes and comments. It is all part of creating media personalities, and every media seeks to create a set of types. I am not saying they don't "believe" what they are saying, but they frame their comments in a way that is rather fabricated. 

For guys who really do not support Canada to take  these positions, it is just about creating a foil, a counterpoint, which is fine, but facts are facts: Mexico and the US are going to qualify for Qatar, the are going to be in the next Gold Cup semis and maybe final, they are favourites for Nations League, they'll go deeper than we will in 2026. It is only easy for Herc to use us because we have been nothing for so long.

I expect this from a private podcast or Youtube channel, but not from ESPN, where it makes them look like what we used to see on local public tv stations (which was often very good, thinking back to over 40 years ago, good amateurism in a time of media monopolies). 

Now we are not that advanced yet in Canada in soccer, since we have less media outlets. We have less diversity. And having been so poor for so long, no one is really interested in negative or critical takes right now. The questions in press conferences are lame: we get these 17 minute love-fests with Herdman and every question is "how thrilled are you...?", "please take us through that", "could you tell us just how important xxxx is for the team...". Fluff. K Jack is terrible IMO when he does interviews, it is all about sucking up to whoever you have in front of you.  

An example: what has happened in Edmonton is a real disaster for the CPL, it is a serious blow to the integrity of the league. Not a single serious question asked. Clanachan leaving, the same. Windsor or even Vancouver getting confirmed as CPL club projects, but Saskatoon NOT confirmed: what the fuck is that? Forge raiding Pacific and the champion being dismantled, more of the same. Not a single soccer journalist will criticise what is going on, but what is worse: not even the independent private guys dare to take a stance. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know why folks give credence to these "opinions", they are asked by their producers to take these postures as they get reactions, likes and comments. It is all part of creating media personalities, and every media seeks to create a set of types. I am not saying they don't "believe" what they are saying, but they frame their comments in a way that is rather fabricated. 

For guys who really do not support Canada to take  these positions, it is just about creating a foil, a counterpoint, which is fine, but facts are facts: Mexico and the US are going to qualify for Qatar, the are going to be in the next Gold Cup semis and maybe final, they are favourites for Nations League, they'll go deeper than we will in 2026. It is only easy for Herc to use us because we have been nothing for so long.

I expect this from a private podcast or Youtube channel, but not from ESPN, where it makes them look like what we used to see on local public tv stations (which was often very good, thinking back to over 40 years ago, good amateurism in a time of media monopolies). 

Now we are not that advanced yet in Canada in soccer, since we have less media outlets. We have less diversity. And having been so poor for so long, no one is really interested in negative or critical takes right now. The questions in press conferences are lame: we get these 17 minute love-fests with Herdman and every question is "how thrilled are you...?", "please take us through that", "could you tell us just how important xxxx is for the team...". Fluff. K Jack is terrible IMO when he does interviews, it is all about sucking up to whoever you have in front of you.  

An example: what has happened in Edmonton is a real disaster for the CPL, it is a serious blow to the integrity of the league. Not a single serious question asked. Clanachan leaving, the same. Windsor or even Vancouver getting confirmed as CPL club projects, but Saskatoon NOT confirmed: what the fuck is that? Forge raiding Pacific and the champion being dismantled, more of the same. Not a single soccer journalist will criticise what is going on, but what is worse: not even the independent private guys dare to take a stance. 

Oh man, one of the ones I hate the most is "Talk about....."

The only 2 guys I've seen criticize CPL are Rollins and Sandor. And neither guy does this full-time anymore. They are basically hobbyists 

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Oh man, one of the ones I hate the most is "Talk about....."

The only 2 guys I've seen criticize CPL are Rollins and Sandor. And neither guy does this full-time anymore. They are basically hobbyists 

When we start getting these controveries, we'll know we are getting somewhere. 

Including when one media outlet takes digs at the pundits in another, that'll be the day. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When we start getting these controveries, we'll know we are getting somewhere. 

Including when one media outlet takes digs at the pundits in another, that'll be the day. 

Everybody want’s to keep their press passes or to be cool with their player connects. I guess I can say a lot of these guys aren’t true journalists and are simply just reporters. 

The players are in fragile settings to be too open about situations.

But you’re absolutely right @Unnamed Trialist!Once the foundation has settled, then the day will come.

(Just remembered we did see a form of controversial reporting from Sid Siexiero years back in regard to OZ and JH - but that’s it)

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Everybody want’s to keep their press passes or to be cool with their player connects. I guess I can say a lot of these guys aren’t true journalists and are simply just reporters. 

But you’re absolutely right @Unnamed Trialist!Once the foundation has settled, then the day will come.

(Just remembered we did see a form of controversial reporting from Sid Siexiero years back in regard to OZ and JH - but that’s it)

I accept that we are such a fragile state that we are all on board, press and pundits included, and the lovefest is part of the solution. There will be no fundamental critiques, come what may. Let the curve stay on its course; we qualify for Qatar, depending on the group we can evaluate if we deserved to get out of it or not. If we don't win a point or get a draw vs. the team worse than us we can say "well that was a start but now to take a step up". If we do any better than that, if we get two results (even two draws), we'll have to be happy. 

So the lovefest will continue, even if we manage details badly or in the end we are not properly prepared or Herdman errs in a glaring way. The press won't care if we don't make the final 4 of Nation's League, or if we lose in another Gold Cup semifinal. It may in fact be worse because Herdman will become untouchable even if he hits a wall that the die-hards can see, because the general public won't see it and won't care. 

I actually think it won't be so bad to slip up next window, it'll make us less cocky going into Qatar. Folks think being on form and Pot 3 is the best, and it could be, but often you learn a lot more from not getting the results.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Who cares what the Americans and rhe rest of CONCACAF thinks of us . Lets just continue on with our improved play , Concentrate on improving our Soccer infrastructure accross our nation,  Try to get our Junior teams to play more matches before big qualifying tournaments . Organize more Friendlies during FIFA breaks , Cannot see why we cant play either Mexico and the U.S. once a year 

55 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Has no one raised the strange goings on at Pacific??  They don't have to be negative, you can frame it a certain way and let the management explain why they let some big pieces get away??  You can avoid being a suck up, there are way to ask a tough question fairly and not lose your access.    

True, there is a difference between being a asshole/suck up and asking fair tough questions.

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Who cares what the Americans and rhe rest of CONCACAF thinks of us . Lets just continue on with our improved play , Concentrate on improving our Soccer infrastructure accross our nation,  Try to get our Junior teams to play more matches before big qualifying tournaments . Organize more Friendlies during FIFA breaks , Cannot see why we cant play either Mexico and the U.S. once a year 

Makes our program more stronger

23 hours ago, Shway said:

I am speculating here, as i dont work or know anyone who works in that industry.  But It might have to do with the fact that a lot people who were mainstays for covering soccer for their media companies were affected by restructuring and lay off's.   Maybe you cant do as good a job when job security is always in the back of your mind.   Same with print, you see cases of ppl who were covering the sport getting shuffled off to cover other sports.   I might be wrong,  but i have not observed the same impact for Hockey and Baseball coverage.    

Edited by Free kick