General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

4 hours ago, RS said:

Those things aren't related.

They'd probably be expensive regardless, you're right. The price point for merch is pretty insane but people are still buying like crazy because it's bandwagon season at the moment, so good on the CSA for taking advantage.

We need to make up those lost revenues at every opportunity.

Those in Ottawa will know that I am a toque collector but I am having trouble finding the new Nike CSA ones. Since I missed the Edmonton matches I missed the opportunity to buy one there.

I've got the black and grey one I bought in Hamilton but there was clearly a lighter grey one that they sold there that I can't find. I think there may also be a 3rd Nike design.

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I will support the team and the CSA however I can as long as it isn’t ridiculous.  Tickets to any game I am able to attend?  Hell yeah.  Subscription to OS?  Yes sir.  A lifetime of amateur soccer fees?  You betcha. 

$200 for a tshirt?  GTFOH.  

I can't tell if this is sarcasm of not... I'm sure there are plenty on here that would pay that, but we're the very small minority that has been supporting for years. But for the average teen or their parents who can spend $100-165 or less get a Bayern Davies jersey vs a Canada Davies jersey for $250 on the same website (Fanatics)? Like come on, that's a little crazy. I spent 30 pounds on a NFFC Laryea kit, including shipping to get here

We should want jerseys to be easily accessible, financially and supply-wise

18 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm of not... I'm sure there are plenty on here that would pay that, but we're the very small minority that has been supporting for years. But for the average teen or their parents who can spend $100-165 or less get a Bayern Davies jersey vs a Canada Davies jersey for $250 on the same website (Fanatics)? Like come on, that's a little crazy. I spent 30 pounds on a NFFC Laryea kit, including shipping to get here

As I said in the Greatest Moments thread, one of the best things to happen for visibility of Canadian Soccer was when SVP Sports got all those old Umbro jerseys and was selling them for $30 a pop.  All of a sudden I started seeing Canadian jerseys all over the rec league fields.  Even the guy from Honduras on my team picked one up and would wear it to every game.

6 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Not sarcasm.  There is no way in hell I am spending $200 on what is really just a t-shirt.  I grabbed a ton of stuff on the SVP Sports sale that @El Hombrementioned, but $200-$250 is just crazy to me.  I know lots here would jump at the chance for gear but I can’t justify it. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

As I said in the Greatest Moments thread, one of the best things to happen for visibility of Canadian Soccer was when SVP Sports got all those old Umbro jerseys and was selling them for $30 a pop.  All of a sudden I started seeing Canadian jerseys all over the rec league fields.  Even the guy from Honduras on my team picked one up and would wear it to every game.

It's happened a few times in my neighbourhood, you just share a knowing look with another masked human in an Umbro jersey

It's not just the jerseys. I recall at the Edmonton game seeing hoodies being sold for 90 bucks. Am I remembering that correctly? I mean, that's a small fraction of a hotel and/or flight to watch your team, but it's still a hoodie. The scarfs were also 45 bucks, while our supporter scarfs are 25 bucks. The CSA is just squeezing profits where they can, which I applaud in a sense. A lot of the merch sold out despite those prices, so why not make as much money as you can? People who don't want to pay those prices will get discounted gear from umbro or whatever, no harm no foul.

In fact, like @El Hombre said the net result is more Canadian gear regardless, which is a great thing. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sarcasm.  There is no way in hell I am spending $200 on what is really just a t-shirt.  I grabbed a ton of stuff on the SVP Sports sale that @El Hombrementioned, but $200-$250 is just crazy to me.  I know lots here would jump at the chance for hear but I can’t justify it. 

I think of it a bandwagon/coming-late-to-the-party tax.  I just hope the CSA are getting a nice cut.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Don't know if anyone else noticed but Honduras changed their flag it's not longer a deep blue its like a light green-blue.

I tried to find info on this. I found the second answer here by Christian Galo.

https://www.quora.com/Which-blue-is-on-the-Honduras-flag

It seems to indicate this isn't a new change, but rather that they are relaxed about what shade of blue is used.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

So I thought this was worth looking at, read some Honduras webs. 

The flag reform by the new government has to do with historical precedent. 

First, the early decrees from the 19th C did not indicate what blue was to be used. Lighter and darker tones were used. The two blue bands were supposed to represent the Pacific and Caribbean on either side. 

When the national anthem was written and accepted in 1915, it refers to the pale blue stars on the flag. Then, after WWII when the dictatorship was ended, and the country began a two-party system, the idea was to return the darker blue to the original idea of a lighter or turquoise blue.

However, one party (Nacional) was identified with the darker blue, and it seems the military as well, so no one dared change it. Until now. 

Interesting anecdote: the flag colour was officially changed the same day we played them, the 27th. If any player exchanged jerseys he may find he has one of the last darker ones, that is if they decide to redo the kit for the next window. 

Edit: the next time someone asks about the red bands on our flag, I'm going to say one represents the Atlantic blood of baby seals, and the other the Pacific blood of spawning salmon, and see what the reaction might be. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, Kent said:

^I gave you a "thanks" reaction for the info, but also wanted to give you a laughing reaction for your red band comment at the end.

Hercules Gomez showing some love for Canada in this clip about CONCACAF player of the year.

That Phonzie shirt is nice, bit of a Barbara Kruger style graphic. I'm wearing my Canada shirt now on way to gym (which I alternate with Caps, Pacific and Forge because that FFC shirt is so comfortable) but wouldn't mind one like that.