General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

13 hours ago, eramosat said:

My gosh...looking past today's friendly squad selection, it is getting increasingly difficult for me to even find spots for all the players that I personally demand some looks with the big squad to determine who should be playing starter minutes, then substitution minutes, and then injury minutes!

Competition at every position.  Decisions at every position.  And competitive youth at every position!

2024 decisions thus far has put the team on a path to move forward decisively, and now I am just waiting to see where the dust eventually settles.  But it's all good...very little bad.

My biggest roster hopes? (1) One...at least one...young forward starts to clearly distinguish themselves in CANMNT duty, by scoring or meshing. It is a hodge-podge right now.  (2)  CB backups.  (3) Buchanan returns.

My biggest tactical hopes? (1)  Set piece service can be sooo much better.  (2)  Finishing matches with leads should become straightforward, not dramatic.

I fully agree and we are on the verge of having our floor evolve to the next phase of call ups. This means we have the same problem of little to no depth but just as a tier 1-2 nation. 

Other than striker, we don’t really have any suitable call up’s if a starter gets injured. Davies goes down and we call up Bassong and Adekugbe starts.  Saliba for Koné. Afrifa for Buchanan. Ldf/waterman for Bombito.  

I get that before we would call up unattached fc so this is fantastic, but we need at least 1 more player in each position to take another step forward. Thankfully LB is the only position where there isn’t clearly someone who’s appearing they will take the next step. 

4 hours ago, ahmedou said:

If we get others strikers that can score 10 goals or 15 goals or 20 goals we're in business!

I think we need some goal contributions from either the midfield or the wings. It can’t just be the strikers.

Hoilett used to score once every four games, often from the bench. Davies was also scoring at a good pace when he played further up. So far, only Shaffelburg has replaced some of that output. I’d like to see a few other names on the scoresheet.

9 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I think we need some goal contributions from either the midfield or the wings. It can’t just be the strikers.

Hoilett used to score once every four games, often from the bench. Davies was also scoring at a good pace when he played further up. So far, only Shaffelburg has replaced some of that output. I’d like to see a few other names on the scoresheet.

A healthy Buchanan will hopefully change that

18 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

He only has 4 goals in 41 games. His scoring rate at the club level hasn’t been much better. I’m not sure if he can be the answer.

He’s played a lot of wingback at club level, no? Not saying his goal tally is overly impressive but I do get the feeling in a more advanced role with the CanMNT, he can be more clinical. We’ve definitely seen moments where he shows his quality in front of goal.

Edited by cronaldo7

22 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

He’s played a lot of wingback at club level, no? Not saying his goal tally is overly impressive but I do get the feeling in a more advanced role with the CanMNT, he can be more clinical. We’ve definitely seen moments where he shows his quality in front of goal.

He has scored some really nice goals. He just doesn’t seem to do it consistently enough for either club or country. He’s certainly a very exciting player, and we could have used him last night. Perhaps the goal ratio will improve as he matures.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Wingback: New England Revolution and Club Brugges

Winger: Inter

I prefer Buchanan as a left wing. At Inter they played him a left winger.

Buchanan scored beautiful goals at that position. I see Buchanan more dangerous at that position.

I'll let Ahmed as a right winger.

On 10/16/2024 at 12:36 PM, ahmedou said:

Wingback: New England Revolution and Club Brugges

Winger: Inter

I prefer Buchanan as a left wing. At Inter they played him a left winger.

Buchanan scored beautiful goals at that position. I see Buchanan more dangerous at that position.

I'll let Ahmed as a right winger.

Inter don’t play with wingers. He’s played as a lwb. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Crazy stat I just had to put out there:

The USMNT has lost more home matches this year (5) than the CANMNT has lost in the last 16 years. 

You would have to go back to the 2-1 loss to Honduras at Saputo in 2008 to get to that number. 

It was my friends turn to buy the tickets for this one and he put us in the Honduras section, fun times.

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Crazy stat I just had to put out there:

The USMNT has lost more home matches this year (5) than the CANMNT has lost in the last 16 years. 

You would have to go back to the 2-1 loss to Honduras at Saputo in 2008 to get to that number. 

It helps that we never play friendlies at home, whereas the US never play friendlies away. 

On 10/15/2024 at 7:10 PM, eramosat said:

My gosh...looking past today's friendly squad selection, it is getting increasingly difficult for me to even find spots for all the players that I personally demand some looks with the big squad to determine who should be playing starter minutes, then substitution minutes, and then injury minutes!

Competition at every position.  Decisions at every position.  And competitive youth at every position!

It is a nice problem to have - but it is a sort-of-sad byproduct of our overall quality (what is the exact opposite of a silver lining?).   I have always wanted to see Nelson in the national team context but he isn’t getting anywhere near it without a massive uptick in performances at club level.   It was great to see Poku get a cap but leaving off someone like JRR or Tani will be challenging in competitive games - and that is without someone like Jebbo committing and making even more of a logjam behind David and Larin.  Justin Smith is a guy I would like to see I the context of superior teammates.  And Corbeanu would be getting solid looks in any other era of Canadian footy.  But they are all frozen out by really talented players ahead of them.

Strikers are solid, midfield has come a long way in terms of depth, and even at wing, with a healthy Tajon, we have at least two capable options on each side (Liam and Shaff on the left, Ahmed and Tajon on the right).  We don’t have super quality depth at all positions but we seem to have developed sufficient quality that we can accommodate most injuries.  There are a couple of spots where the drop in quality is noticeable - I am thinking of CB and LB - but that is due more to the quality of our first choice players than any huge critique of the supporting cast.   

6 hours ago, jordan said:

It was my friends turn to buy the tickets for this one and he put us in the Honduras section, fun times.

Hey me too!  I think I was in 104 or 105 in the middle of a massive Honduran family.  I had just got back from a trip so bought a solo ticket while by buddies were the the stand facing us on the opposite side.  There was me in my red t-shirt sitting with the nicest and bluest people ever.  The largest guy of the group spotted me and told me to come sit next to him and he made his friend move to take my seat.  Seriously, nicest people ever, i had a blast. 

6 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

It helps that we never play friendlies at home, whereas the US never play friendlies away. 

Not to mention the same thing for Copa America, Gold Cup, Nations League Finals. 2 of USA's home losses this year came at the Copa America (one of them against Panama actually).

It's still a wild stat though.

6 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

As crazy as this may sound maybe that has been a good thing for us . Until Tuesday all of our matches have been played on foreign soil against some very good oppostion, in some very hostile territories where we were outnumbered in support  almost 10 to 1 , if that doesnt toughen you up , Ido not know what does