General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

45 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I'm not going to comment on all the legal stuff because frankly I'm not qualified in the area. The job posting looking for people with drone experience isn't really the smoking gun some make it out to be though. Teams use drones to film their own practices all the time, that would be a helpful skill whether they were spying on other teams or not.

Arash Madani is an idiot.

8 hours ago, RS said:

Because one incident happened before a WCQ match attended by 15,000 people and the other happened at the Olympics.

A few hours later and TSN has now started reporting on the WCQ attended by 15K as part of the “scandal”, but has left out the part where our opponents also flew a drone over BMO. 

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canadian-men-s-team-shown-video-of-honduran-practice-during-world-cup-qualifying-source-says-1.2154159

29 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

It’s crazy how much Americans care about this Canada story. They’re so happy they think they can use this as an excuse for why Canada finished ahead lf them in qualifying.

We are playing them in a friendly in September , If  I m Mr M arsh I am using this news as a extra motivator to beat the Americans

2 hours ago, Soro17 said:

So, is MAK Westhead’s mole? 

Journalists in the mainstream media would normally need at least two credible inside sources before they would risk their reputation on something like this. I can understand a tight knit coaching team being trusted with this sort of material but 17 players who you will inevitably upset at some point by leaving them off a roster or not selecting them as a starter?

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Journalists in the mainstream media would normally need at least two credible inside sources before they would risk their reputation on something like this. I can understand a tight knit coaching team being trusted with this sort of material but 17 players who you will inevitably upset at some point by leaving them off a roster or not selecting them as a starter?

How many times have we said Herdman’s biggest flaw is his own arrogance?

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yes but you’re assuming Westhead has journalistic integrity. He does not. His reporting style has less integrity than TMZ.

I don't necessarily agree with how Westhead goes about things on each and every one of his stories, but I don't doubt his integrity. He acts a mouthpiece for his sources but I don't doubt he gets appropriate corroboration

I do think his digging around background and knowledge of context is often poor. For instance, check out the following thread about Mexico in Edmonton, which he references at the end of his latest article:

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yes but you’re assuming Westhead has journalistic integrity. He does not. His reporting style has less integrity than TMZ.

Some of the posts on here are becoming truly laughable now in terms of shooting the messenger. It's not just Rick Westhead who has been talking about prolonged drone use by both the CMNT and CWNT coaching staff based on what multiple sources are telling them:

43 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some of the posts on here are becoming truly laughable now in terms of shooting the messenger. It's not just Rick Westhead who has been talking about prolonged drone use by both the CMNT and CWNT coaching staff based on what multiple sources are telling them:

I don’t doubt the story. Westhead just has no integrity as a journalist. That copa america/bankruptcy story was able to be debunked by a simple google search yet he ran with it. 

I think you are getting your wires crossed between perceived competence level and integrity. Also not sure what you are claiming where possible bankruptcy is concerned. Player registration fees had to be substantially increased at amateur and youth level at the CSA AGM and a substantial act of "philanthropy" from the three Canadian MLS owners was required to get the CSA onto more of an even keel financially with a credible coaching hire.

I wouldn't say he has no integrity, he's just completely out of his element when it comes to soccer reporting.  He should stay away ....... far away.  

Unfortunately,  not enough casual/peripheral fans of the game know enough to call him on it so they go with his story. Ultimately,  it hurts the game in this country.

21 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I wouldn't say he has no integrity, he's just completely out of his element when it comes to soccer reporting.  He should stay away ....... far away.  

Unfortunately,  not enough casual/peripheral fans of the game know enough to call him on it so they go with his story. Ultimately,  it hurts the game in this country.

I 100% believe he knows his hockey insider colleagues (MacKenzie, Dreger, etc) knew about the rapist NHLers but you will never see him write about that.

Don't think he needs to get a pat on the back for his 'integrity'

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

I 100% believe he knows his hockey insider colleagues (MacKenzie, Dreger, etc) knew about the rapist NHLers but you will never see him write about that.

Don't think he needs to get a pat on the back for his 'integrity'

Good point.

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Dude appears to be of Goa Portuguese extraction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_J._de_Souza

so could reasonably be expected to be from a soccer friendly background. Sometimes second or third generation types view bashing soccer as their ticket to joining the perceived Canadian mainstream though. This part for example:

...Much of the beautiful game, as its devotees are wont to call it, proceeds on the excitement of the one-nil thriller. The minus one-nil thriller would be a novel Canadian contribution to international competition...

Whether people on here like it or not Bev Priestman & Co's actions have provided ammunition to people who do not have our sport's best interests at heart and that's kind of why they shouldn't have been using drones in the first place and why the CSA now needs to be seen to clean house.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, BigMo said:

A few hours later and TSN has now started reporting on the WCQ attended by 15K as part of the “scandal”, but has left out the part where our opponents also flew a drone over BMO. 

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canadian-men-s-team-shown-video-of-honduran-practice-during-world-cup-qualifying-source-says-1.2154159

A few hours later what?

They are reporting about overall drone usage by the Canadian teams, so it's natural to include the Honduras incident for added context.

Whether Honduras later did it in retaliation doesn't change the story that Canada has been doing it for years, but it definitely could have been added as a (very minor) bit of context as well.

I find it insane that none of the people reporting on this has brought up how Leeds under the universally beloved Marcelo Bielsa was caught using drones to film opponent training sessions from just a few years ago! Leeds paid a 100K fine and that was the end of that story. No one (of consequence) demanded Bielsa resignation. Leeds wasn’t sanctioned from a sporting perspective. Everyone agreed it was egg on Bielsa’s face, laughed a bit, and moved on. It’s now just a funny footnote in Bielsa’s coaching career (god knows that man’s reputation never took a hit). Like guys context here is important. Bielsa wasn’t even the only one who did this. Demanding for medal to be stripped or for the team to withdraw from the tournament is like asking for life imprisonment for stealing a loaf of bread.

Edited by frattinator