General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Just like I'm more upset at the blackhawks/hockey canada/soccer canada doing the stuff westhead is reporting than westhead for reporting it, I'm also more upset at the coaches for being dumb enough to do it at the Olympics where drones are illegal and cheating matters more than for doing it at all.

It's really not a big deal, but if another country/team did it I'd be fake mad too while acknowledging it's really a big ol' nothing

I am sorry this doesnt move me at all and I agree entirely with the people that are saying this is overblown.

This is being covered like a massive doping ring, rather than gamesmanship in a sport that is filled with it. Obviously, it was moronic to do this in an area where flying is strictly prohibited. But to suggest this tars all of our achievements and that we should (or will) be severly punished by FIFA is a wild overreaction to me.

To me, the core issue is our deeply engrained boy scout national perception is wounded by the story. It also doesnt help that this occured in the middle of the pre-Olympic media cycle, where the media is always searching for scandals and stories of where Olympic preparations have gone wrong. 

Its not a coincidence that this exact story, got virtually zero attention when it popped up during the mens WCQ cycle. The Hondurans also returned the favour then and flew a drone over our practice at BMO.  I dont think this even got covered in TSN or any Candian media outlet.

Edited by BigMo

Reading between the lines it's possible Herdman was doing it at lower level matches/tournaments where there would be less security/eyeballs to get caught but Priestman carried on and was much more careless (ie WC, Olympics).

If you are going to do this type of stuff the people involved have to relatively meticulous/careful in being covert.

24 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

That is a very careful answer. What about all the other times (qualifiers, Gold Cup, etc.)?

You won't be the only one to have noticed that. Rick Westhead has already specifically mentioned a Nations League game against the United States when he was head coach of the CMNT

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-s-men-s-and-women-s-soccer-teams-have-relied-on-drones-and-spying-for-years-sources-say-1.2153674

...Staff and contractors connected to the men’s national team have also filmed the closed training sessions of competitors, one of the sources told TSN, adding that Canada used a drone to record a U.S. training session before a Nov. 15, 2019, game in Florida. The U.S. won that game 4-1...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/540346

..."They silenced some critics here," Canada coach John Herdman said. The U.S. (2-1) would finish ahead of Canada (3-1) to win the group and advance to the semifinals of the first CONCACAF Nations League if it beats Cuba (0-3) on Tuesday in a match moved to George Town, Cayman Islands, because of issues with the stadium lights in Havana...

Us dorks on here will continue to have a field day with this topic, but I suspect it will disappear from the general public consciousness unless a points deduction is applied at some point, or possibly resurface if the WNT make it to the medal rounds. The flow of other Olympics stories, medalists, outcomes, will overwhelm this story.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Us dorks on here will continue to have a field day with this topic, but I suspect it will disappear from the general public consciousness unless a points deduction is applied at some point, or possibly resurface if the WNT make it to the medal rounds. The flow of other Olympics stories, medalists, outcomes, will overwhelm this story.

Celine Dion performing at the Opening Ceremony will probably dwarf this story eventually 

I think people should suffer the consequences. The consequences for being stupid 

It's one thing to fly a drone over a Honduras national team practice for some game. You're flying a drone at an Olympic games in Paris with unprecedented security amongst global anxiety of full scale war and a week after there was an attempt to kill a former president and the guy flew a drone over the site. You dont think you'll get caught? And you're doing this why? You're frightened of New Zealand and you're looking for what? How they defend corner kicks? It's just kinda silly.

I think the you "cheated" thing is overblown. I just feel we look like morons

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The problem with that narrative is a World Cup co-hosting is just around the corner and a lot of federal government money is going to be spent on that. They got caught to the extent that an eight month suspended jail sentence is involved. The CSA needs to be seen to thoroughly clean house at this point so the page can be turned. The narrative should be that Kevin Blue and Jesse Marsch are cleaning up the mess that was the Victor Montagliani era. They need to be joined in that process by a completely new CWNT coaching team as soon as these games are over.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Damn.

Looks bad, of course, but while I would guess a fair number of teams are using drones to observe other team's practices, I am certain that a majority of teams use drones to film their own practices, scrimmages, etc. This is a fully legitimate skill for an analyst to employ in their job.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The problem with that narrative is a World Cup co-hosting is just around the corner and a lot of federal government money is going to be spent on that. They got caught to the extent that an eight month suspended jail sentence is involved. The CSA needs to be seen to thoroughly clean house at this point so the page can be turned. The narrative should be that Kevin Blue and Jesse Marsch are cleaning up the mess that was the Victor Montagliani era. They need to be joined in that process by a completely new CWNT coaching team as soon as these games are over.

Probably true, for the most part, but not things anyone outside of Canada soccer nerds will care to pay attention to. 

What does this have to do with the CSA?

You have a coach who probably realized that the team that won gold wasn't going to do much and in order to save her job got ridiculously desperate 

I really dont see a huge benefit to flying a drone over the other teams practice. If you want to take that risk and that's how you want to spend your time and resources then that's on you. Better not get caught and better win because maybe you should spend your time and focus on something else

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Looks bad, of course, but while I would guess a fair number of teams are using drones to observe other team's practices, I am certain that a majority of teams use drones to film their own practices, scrimmages, etc. This is a fully legitimate skill for an analyst to employ in their job.

Arash Madani tweeted this out and is overreacting without any real rational analysis. Just stirring the pot now imo

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Arash Madani tweeted this out and is overreacting without any real rational analysis. Just stirring the pot now imo

A real reporter could probably dig up similar job postings from other teams and federations within minutes and compare to see if camera and drone operating are part of the job description. He'd have a stronger case if he could collect a few with no listed expectations of drone use.

Heck, even Westhead could have alluded to one of the countless practice-spying stories of the last 5 to 10 years in one of the later graphs of his story to provide some context.