General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

maybe we should worry more about all the corruption in the real world  including fifa/ioc not so much on trying to finding out about a formation.everyone cheats in one form or another.these morons should be all fired for being stupid 

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

There's an even nastier side to all this that has not been mentioned. If this has been going on for a while, then all the players definitely knew about it. 

Depends if the coaches were directly showing the footage to the players or not. If not it's possible they didn't know.

I'm curious as to how much you can actually glean from training footage that you couldn't already get from existing match footage. I guess maybe set pieces? Anticipating the lineup?

I'm not sure how much of a leg up it really would be in the end.

6 hours ago, reggietfc said:

maybe we should worry more about all the corruption in the real world  including fifa/ioc not so much on trying to finding out about a formation.everyone cheats in one form or another.these morons should be all fired for being stupid 

We can worry about two things at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Might as well throw my two cents in here...

I am not saying these drone allegations are a good look for us, but at the same time I don't really care too much about how these drone allegations make us look.

Sorry (not sorry) if that is not very Canadian of me to say, but CONCACAF is a dog eat dog confederation, and so is CONMEBOL apparently. Everyone seems to be bending the rules and pushing the limits to gain an advantage. Kind of refreshing to see we've jumped into the ring in our own way.

Now, using drones in a no fly zone is obviously dumb, nobody should say otherwise, and I do think using drones to spy on opponents is probably crossing the line, but I do like the mindset of trying to gain an advantage, even if we pushed it too far this time. Am I alone in that? 

Can you imagine fans from Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras etc. being outraged at reports their federation is spying on opponents and calling for the heads of our coaches in the name of so-called fair play? They'd probably just shrug their shoulders at it and say it is what it is. Meanwhile, these nations would happily point the finger at us, then turn around and do the same thing if given the chance. Just look how they behave on and off the field? 

We just had to deal with opponents at Copa America abusing the half-time rules, taking extra time to prep their team, getting into our heads, while we played the nice, honest guy like good little Canadians. For years we have dealt with opponents inside our region doing everything they could to gain and advantage and win. And guess what? They did, at our expense. We only started winning when Mr. drone himself John Herdman took over.

And that's not because drones gave us some sort of mega advantage. To be honest I am not sure how much can actually be gleaned from drone footage that couldn't be gleaned from watching tape of previous matches. It's not as if we've hidden secret microphones all over the training ground, picking up audio on their secret tactics. We haven't yet sent a player into opponent training undercover in disguise, have we?

Anyway, for me it's not about the drones, it's about the mentality shift to try new things to win. All the motivational stuff, bringing in Astronauts, etc. The same mentality shift gave birth to Iceteca, where we finally used the weather to our advantage for once. I appreciate Herdman for giving us that mentality, even if it went too far, getting caught with spy drones, or getting caught saying F-Croatia. 

I will take a Canada team pushing the limits of what is "fair" and "sportsmanlike" over the noble, naive, losers of yesteryear, that would roll out the red carpet for a Soca band at Swangard, just to make our Trinidadian opponents feel at home, in BC. Like, seriously, what a loser mentality. Glad that isn't us anymore.

So yeah, bit of a rant here. I get we want to be honorable and that's a good thing, but must we really tear down our own house over this? 

Anyone else feel remotely the way I do, or does everyone just want to see heads roll to curb the overwhelming feeling of shame and embarrassment? 

Maybe I am supposed to be more outraged but I am pretty “meh” about this whole thing.  Not a great look for the program for sure, and it will be annoying to hear about US talking heads using it as an angle to question anything we have done recently, but I can’t really find the energy to care that much about it.  Those directly involved will likely need to be severed from the organization just from an optics perspective but I have no interest in a public tar-and-feathering beyond what is necessary to escape further sanction.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am supposed to be more outraged but I am pretty “meh” about this whole thing.  Not a great look for the program for sure, and it will be annoying to hear about US talking heads using it as an angle to question anything we have done recently, but I can’t really find the energy to care that much about it.  Those directly involved will likely need to be severed from the organization just from an optics perspective but I have no interest in a public tar-and-feathering beyond what is necessary to escape further sanction.  

But the impression I'm getting is that this probably implicates nearly everyone pre-Marsch. A lot of the assistant coaches would have to go if the plan is to get rid of those involved....

21 minutes ago, ensco said:

Surprised nobody has asked the “elephant in the room” question yet, which is:

Did we do this at Copa?

Although I'm like dyslexic nam about this drone scandal, allow me to add fuel to your fire.

Maybe Marsch did it also. Against the Netherlands we held them scoreless for the first half because we knew how they would play. In the 2nd half they made changes and we couldn't bug their locker room so they scored 4 goals on us. The French were too arrogant to make any chances. We held Argentina scoreless in the 1st half they scored two when they made changes in the 2nd half. A similar yet slightly different story with Uruguay. The other teams just weren't good enough.

Joking aside, I don't believe my little conspiracy story. I really don't think you can glean any info with drones that will make a dif.

Edited by Sal333

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does "from" rather than "by" the CMNT imply that they told him other teams attempted to do it to them?

There is a 0% chance that this sort of thing isn't pretty widespread in world football. I can't imagine Herdman and the CSA being an innovator on this, or anything else really.

Kevin Blue is caught between a rock and a hard place. An assistant coach and an analyst have been sent home and now Preistman has been given her plane ticket back home yet another assistant coach has taken over. What makes this assistant coach so innocent? All the coaches on the team are compromised. If everyone involved is serious about this scandal ( CSA, IOC, COC, FIFA) the Canadian team would be eliminated from the competition. But everyone involved is avoiding this move.

Edited by Sal333

9 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Kevin Blue is caught between a rock and a hard place. An assistant coach and an analyst have been sent home and now Preistman has been given her plane ticket back home yet another assistant coach has taken over. What makes this assistant coach so innocent? All the coaches on the team are compromised. If everyone involved is serious about this scandal ( CSA, IOC, COC, FIFA) the Canadian team would be eliminated from the competition. But everyone involved is avoiding this move.

It is the Olympics.  We can’t have a team with no coach.  A number of high profile folks can be “fall-guys” and be sacrificed if that is what is needed.  I am not in favour of gutting the entire coaching staff just in case.   

Feels like another instance of “everyone does this but we’re Canada so we’re gonna fall on our sword to gain respect from people who don’t want to give it to us” 

The players know about the drones, just like they know about the little injections their training staff give players to get back after injury, just like how they know what their teammates are up to off the pitch, just like they know about which salacious social media rumours are actually true. As long as this doesn’t affect the players or Marsch/his staff, I truly couldn’t care less about this. Remove the remainder of the old guard and move on. We have games to win. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

26 minutes ago, Califax said:

I remember them poisoning our food too, so...

Was Honduras the one that Forrest said put them at the top floor of a hotel and then turned off all the elevators so they had to walk up and down each day?

40 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

What makes this assistant coach so innocent? All the coaches on the team are compromised. 

CANWNT needs to be the first team to play a tournament without a coach, end up winning and see the sport completely changed forever!

Ii'm sure it's been said, but I'm super surprised that the assistant and the analyst doing this were coaches coming up through the ranks. It feels super bizarre that this wasn't super off the books and changing cabs to pay a contractor a large some of money. Why do you need a coach certification to be a videographer? Secrecy?

Also, it's fascinating what we do to try to get to soccer country status, learn tactics, teach players, and play catch up / play with the big boys. The money and effort spent on promoting young people as players, refs and coaches, like this coach who got to the national team and whose coaching career is essentially now over, stands in stark contrast to relative ease that other countries stand up people who study Pep religiously, or even run a mean 4-4-fucking-2. We've got ours scheming and cheating for an edge.    

Not saying it's right but did they feel they needed to cheat because it takes so god damn much to get people to care? Were they just so high on how much they saw people cared when they cheated and won?

Or was it Herdman's ego.

16 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Was Honduras the one that Forrest said put them at the top floor of a hotel and then turned off all the elevators so they had to walk up and down each day?

Could have been. I know Panama was the street party with the comically large speakers. I've tried to block out so much. 

But it's a valid point: What are the "around the game rules" to prevent this happening again? I can't imagine the chef in Honduras or the sound guys in Panama asked for compensation for gaining an advantage. Is the result of the advantage different if I use my drone and then mail it to the team because I'm a crazy supporter and ask nothing in compensation?

Just now, Califax said:

What are the "around the game rules" to prevent this happening again?

A lot of it comes down to whether or not its been directed by the team/federation. Obviously our drones were directed by coaching staff, but there's a difference between a team telling fans to bombard a hotel and the fans finding it doing it themselves. Obviously the federation wouldn't stop them depending on the circumstances, but that direction plays a key role in purpose and ideology. That's how I view it, anyway, direct attempt to bother versus indirect. Drones are very obviously direct.