General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Doesn't make it any less important. I know this sub hates him (with some people hating on him for some pretty suspect and weird reasons) but for all the high and mighty many here like to pretend to be we ain't any better than the other CONCACAF nations that try to get advantages anyway they can.

All the other nations likely are engaged in similar shenanigans, as we see when the Herdman said they prefer to stay in Canada until the very last minute before going down to the Concacaff nations. Otherwise they would be spied upon down there. 

Unfortunately Canada is stupid enough to get caught. 

Just like when Ben Johnson lost his gold in a field of 100M sprinters where every single one was eventually confirmed as a cheat, I think we're being naive if we don't think that there aren't loads of other teams doing similar things to gain an edge. 

Does that make it right? Of courser not. Does that mean it's not embarrassing to be the one caught, and on the world stage? No, it's embarrassing and bad and hopefully we get to the bottom of it.

It doesn't take a lot of connecting of dots to trace this back to a certain current MLS manager, however.

4 minutes ago, canadave said:

Very silly to hate on Westhead for what is some of the best sports reporting in Canada today (covering both the national soccer and hockey programs) simply because the unpleasant truths he brings to light make your favourite teams look bad. 

I don't think Westhead's reporting is always of quality. He clearly is out of his depth on certain topics. But he gained credibility with the Blackhawks story, and now is very trusted by sources. I expect he'll continue to break a steady stream of this kind of story in a variety of sports due to the reputation he has gained.

If it was going to come out, better now than later.  Marsch can likely deny involvement (which for all we know is true).

Poor reporting in that there is no mention of drones being used since Marsch has taken over.  Westhead needs to be taken to task on lack of due diligence. 

13 minutes ago, canadave said:

Very silly to hate on Westhead for what is some of the best sports reporting in Canada today (covering both the national soccer and hockey programs) simply because the unpleasant truths he brings to light make your favourite teams look bad. 

I wince whenever he has an article out, because it's always painting my teams in a bad light. But it's not his fault that my teams put themselves in that place to begin with. And I'm a Blackhawks fan too! 

18 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

If it was going to come out, better now than later.  Marsch can likely deny involvement (which for all we know is true).

Poor reporting in that there is no mention of drones being used since Marsch has taken over.  Westhead needs to be taken to task on lack of due diligence. 

I don't think "the men's program has (maybe) not used them for 3 months" is quite the counter-argument you think it is.

14 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

I wince whenever he has an article out, because it's always painting my teams in a bad light. But it's not his fault that my teams put themselves in that place to begin with. And I'm a Blackhawks fan too! 

Was life long blackhawks fan but threw my cap into the garbage when the scandal came to light. And now the Oilers have hired the GM behind it all. NHL old boys network has no shame. Sorry for the non-soccer post

Edited by Ed_S

8 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

Or is he making sure the Men get dragged in. Probably his usual source that likes to drop bombs on every Men;s window.

There have already been public accusations against the Men's program in the past years ago. This stuff was already out there so how can you accuse Westhead of dragging the men into it now?

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

There have already been public accusations against the Men's program in the past years ago. This stuff was already out there so how can you accuse Westhead of dragging the men into it now?

I understand that it was already out there. He and his source are making sure they are pulled right to the front.

10 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

I understand that it was already out there. He and his source are making sure they are pulled right to the front.

I don't think anyone thinks the men are right at the front. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Doesn't make it any less important. I know this sub hates him (with some people hating on him for some pretty suspect and weird reasons) but for all the high and mighty many here like to pretend to be we ain't any better than the other CONCACAF nations that try to get advantages anyway they can.

Trying to "get an advantage" like playing in -15c, is one thing.  Flat out cheating and breaking laws is a whole other thing.

Herdman had lost a lot of points on my scale that time between qualifying and his resignation, the only good thing I could still manage to give him was that run.  Even without evidence or knowing 100%, my gut just tells me this has his finger prints all over it.  Part of me hopes the whole story does not come out, but a part of me feels like we already know.