General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

2 teams relegate from Belgium's 2nd tier.

No teams get relegated from the Dutch 2nd tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_Eerste_Divisie

I was mistaken- I believe the plans were to reinstate relegation to the third tier last season but it seems they’ve postponed this for 5-10 years. Before the pandemic, I believe teams had to declare by mid season if they wanted to be eligible for promotion and I believe their eligibility was tied to club infrastructure/budget. I was thinking Netherlands.

3 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

CPL teams can hardly get their own stadiums built and we're expecting CPL2 teams to have soccer specific builds? Non-starter.

Did you read?

I specifically said non-soccer stadium to start with.

20 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fair point on the first.

On the second though, if using a signal light is part of being a good driver, Alberta drivers are empirically the worst.  (That said, they don't actively try to kill you as a pedestrian like some places I have been.)

I believe in my heart that Toronto is the "unnecessarily having your high beams on to blind other drivers" capital of the world....this topic should have its own thread.

More than worth mentioning what a great job TSN did with the Copa across the platforms.  And Uncle 'tiba stepping into his role at the broadcast desk was seamless.  More please.

And One soccer, who weren't broadcasting the tourney?  We know in the scheme of things they're totally invested in the NTs but for a tourney on another carrier they sure showed how much that commitment really exists.

Good times on and off the field for Canadian footie fans.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

More than worth mentioning what a great job TSN did with the Copa across the platforms.  And Uncle 'tiba stepping into his role at the broadcast desk was seamless.  More please.

And One soccer, who weren't broadcasting the tourney?  We know in the scheme of things they're totally invested in the NTs but for a tourney on another carrier they sure showed how much that commitment really exists.

Was going to post the same.  Kudos to TSN for their work, and great jobs by Atiba, Tos, Doneil and DeGuz when they were on.  All well spoken and provided great insight.  DeGuz looked much more comfortable in front of the camera.  Atiba looked a natural!

3 hours ago, Metro said:

I believe in my heart that Toronto is the "unnecessarily having your high beams on to blind other drivers" capital of the world....this topic should have its own thread.

I thought it was an Ottawa area thing, haven't actually spent that much time driving around Toronto to confirm.  Is it province wide then?  I just don't understand why this is a thing.  It's maddening.

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

OneSoccer did it and got Degree as sponsor because when they did the same for Qatar, they had the highest viewership/engagement on Youtube amongst Canadian outlets during the Qatar World Cup.

3 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Shaka knows🫡

His rankings are notoriously known to be taking the piss.

We only won 1 game in regulation. 1 game! That game we scored after being a man up.

Our record speaks for itself...2W - 1T - 3L. But it's a  great tournament result when you can finish 4th overall with that record, it creates a great feel good facade.

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

We only won 1 game in regulation. 1 game! That game we scored after being a man up.

Our record speaks for itself...2W - 1T - 3L. But it's a  great tournament result when you can finish 4th overall with that record, it creates a great feel good facade.

You're still angry we hired an American, aren't you :)

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

France only won 2 games in regulation. Not so different?

I'll be fair to @Shway and say I was very upset we gave away the result to Uruguay because we couldn't hold our nerve.

I'll also say that's on the players, not Marsch.

We are simply not used to being in situations like that, against a team of that magnitude. We'll learn from it, though. Better now than in the World Cup.

As for Chile, I was disappointed, but much less so. For all their struggles in qualifiers, it's still Chile. They came into the Copa in good form, they made it difficult for Argentina the game prior, and they are savy and hadn't been eliminated from the group stage in a long, long time. 

Games like that I want us to put away in the future, but we did what was needed, so cannot be too critical of that result. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'll be fair to @Shway and say I was very upset we gave away the result to Uruguay because we couldn't hold our nerve.

I'll also say that's on the players, not Marsch.

We are simply not used to being in situations like that, against a team of that magnitude. We'll learn from it, though. Better now than in the World Cup.

As for Chile, I was disappointed, but much less so. For all their struggles in qualifiers, it's still Chile. They came into the Copa in good form, they made it difficult for Argentina the game prior, and they are savy and hadn't been eliminated from the group stage in a long, long time. 

Games like that I want us to put away in the future, but we did what was needed, so cannot be too critical of that result. 

It was nowhere near a perfect tournament.

But considering we had to beat T&T to get there after failing to do what needed to against Jamaica (who struggled mightily at the Copa).  And the 18 months generally after the World Cup were up and down to be generous. And we had a coach for a month.

I can name a myriad of things we need to improve on and I can name a number of things I thought took significant strides forward.  Our back line generally springs to mind.

Incredibly good result considering.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But considering we had to beat T&T to get there after failing to do what needed to against Jamaica (who struggled mightily at the Copa).  And the 18 months generally after the World Cup were up and down to be generous. And we had a coach for a month.

I can name a myriad of things we need to improve on and I can name a number of things I thought took significant strides forward.  Our back line generally springs to mind.

For me that's the biggest takeaway from this tournament. A concern that a lot of fans had was "our cbs", and Marsch put his faith in two guys that no other coach did before. 

However, everything else to me is still a mess. I'm definitely not sold on our formation as we have no identity going forward, some guys were given wayyy too much chances (should've seen more of Ahmed, Tani) but we defended great!...whereas before I thought we attacked great and defended horrible. 

8 games into the Marsch era, and we have mixed results, but a "successful tournament". I said it before the Copa and I'll say it again... I'm expecting to see more from this team, because I believe the talent that we have should perform at the levels they did.

There's a lot of positives to take, but we don't get rewarded for finishing 4th (other than the FIFA points and prize money earned 🤭)

Onward and Forward Canada!

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me that's the biggest takeaway from this tournament. A concern that a lot of fans had was "our cbs", and Marsch put his faith in two guys that no other coach did before. 

However, everything else to me is still a mess. I'm definitely not sold on our formation as we have no identity going forward, some guys were given wayyy too much chances (should've seen more of Ahmed, Tani) but we defended great!...whereas before I thought we attacked great and defended horrible. 

8 games into the Marsch era, and we have mixed results, but a "successful tournament". I said it before the Copa and I'll say it again... I'm expecting to see more from this team, because I believe the talent that we have should perform at the levels they did.

There's a lot of positives to take, but we don't get rewarded for finishing 4th (other than the FIFA points and prize money earned 🤭)

You will have to explain the scare quotes on "successful tournament"

You talk about the talent we have; the talent level of the three teams that finished above us is well above ours.  We also finished above a number of teams with better talent levels. We got a draw against one team I think we should have beat - a disappointing result. We beat the other two -  one was on penalties but that's tournament football.  (If you start making excuses for them, we need to be given excuses as well.  Only fair, right?)

In addition to the money and the FIFA points (not nothing) there was the exposure for our players club-wise (will not hurt their playing level day and day out); great ratings - so new exposure in our country; building team culture (I think that is longest we had a group together in a while); the emmergence of talents; an understanding of what talent could do in some different places etc.

An extremely successful tournament, wouldn't you say?

The talent level of the opposition in the friendlies was incredibly higher than ours and we got one result, which paved the way for the success in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Did Marsch date your sister….  Just kidding. 

it sounds like your standard is pretty high. What more were you expecting if 4th isn’t enough? What mixed results are there… mixed suggests losses and wins and what losses would you say were games we expected to win?  

It’s been a month with a new manager. It’s so harsh to say we have no identity or guys get too many chances.  Koné, millar, buchanan were all benched. Larin was the only guy you can argue should’ve been benched but wasn’t but jm sees things about larins play that he likes. 

I also think it’s unfair to expect a formation change to solve our attack. Crazy temperatures, bad fields, small fields made it hard for all the teams to attack. Perhaps you think laryea and shaf should be walking through argentinas defense?   

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We lost our way for a bit but this team is back. We can beat anyone (almost lol).

I am hoping we have a Winter Camp like we used to have AKA Camp Poutine  in 2025  just for players in MLS ,CPL , Cannot see Euro players getting the permission to attend . Hopefully they can have it in a small Carribean nation , I do not want to have it in the States. I dont want those guys spying on us. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

We created a lot of chances under Marsch, but we never converting as many as we should. Had we converted more of our chances against Chile, Venezuela and Uruguay, we turn those draws into wins. 

If we finish fourth in this tournament with 4 wins (Peru, Chile, Venezuela, Uruguay) and 2 losses (Argentina x 2), are you saying everything else (defending aside) is a mess?

8 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Did Marsch date your sister….  Just kidding. 

it sounds like your standard is pretty high. What more were you expecting if 4th isn’t enough? What mixed results are there… mixed suggests losses and wins and what losses would you say were games we expected to win?  

I can go back and quote what I said before this tournament, which was we should beat Chile and Peru- regardless of our coach. We have the talent, and players. We got 1 fortunately, and should've got the other. 

It’s been a month with a new manager. It’s so harsh to say we have no identity or guys get too many chances.  Koné, millar, buchanan were all benched. Larin was the only guy you can argue should’ve been benched but wasn’t but jm sees things about larins play that he likes. 

Kone was benched for 1 game.
Buchanan was benched for 1 game, and then got injured.
Millar started Holland, France, Argentina, and Peru...didn't do well at ALL this tournament and you're saying he got benched? 
I'm convinced you're in the euphoria of "winning" 4th and making stuff up.

I also think it’s unfair to expect a formation change to solve our attack. Crazy temperatures, bad fields, small fields made it hard for all the teams to attack. Perhaps you think laryea and shaf should be walking through argentinas defense?   

One thing I'll say is I'm consistent with my assessments of players and coaches I hold everyone under the same light. A lot of you guys hold affinity to persons and it shows in your opinions. Everybody played on the same field, everybody played in the same temperatures.

Marsch has had 8 games, against great opponents, some even elite. My opinion is, that is more than enough time to get your system across considering he didn't rotate much since Netherlands to Uruguay. And his subs seemed more planned than strategic. A lot of you were critical over Biello's style/system but he had far less games, so be consistent. For someone whose philosophy is more attack oriented, we established our defence. 

Stop making egregious statements that I've never contributed too..."perhaps Richie and Shaff should ran through Argentina". 

I'll finish with saying ...

Marsch...American...Bad bad