General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I just came here to post this. Fascinating is a great way to describe it. Greenland for me has always been a strange, almost mythical place once referenced in the mighty ducks. One thing this confederation needs is more arctic climate matches to combat the years of sweaty, humid bumpy pitch shenanigans we’ve had to deal with in Central America. 

I believe that was Iceland referenced in the Mighty Ducks, but doesn't take away from your point. In the original script it was Canada, but Disney didn't want to offend their biggest out of country market.

2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I believe that was Iceland referenced in the Mighty Ducks, but doesn't take away from your point. In the original script it was Canada, but Disney didn't want to offend their biggest out of country market.

I didn’t know the original script has Canada as the Iceland team. There was a line I was thinking of from the mighty ducks where Gordon Bombay is having ice cream with the “Iceland chick.” And he says, “wait I thought Greenland was green and Iceland was made of ice.” She says, “Greenland is covered in ice and Iceland is very nice.” lol  

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I didn’t know the original script has Canada as the Iceland team. There was a line I was thinking of from the mighty ducks where Gordon Bombay is having ice cream with the “Iceland chick.” And he says, “wait I thought Greenland was green and Iceland was made of ice.” She says, “Greenland is covered in ice and Iceland is very nice.” lol  

Ahh, I don't remember that line from the movie, but I'll trust your memory.

Fun but useless trivia fact: even though you can physically see Greenland from Canada (my partner could see it from her field site on Ellesmere Island), the only way to travel there (without chartering a plane or boat) is by flying via Copenhagen. Would be an epic trip.

1 minute ago, Treppy2 said:

Fun but useless trivia fact: even though you can physically see Greenland from Canada (my partner could see it from her field site on Ellesmere Island), the only way to travel there (without chartering a plane or boat) is by flying via Copenhagen. Would be an epic trip.

I believe you can fly from Iceland too

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Vancouver fans are going to lose their minds when a CMNT game is scheduled in Iqaliut...

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

Nuuk to Iqaluit via Air Greenland flights are set to start on June 26th. But only seasonal as it will only be from June to October.

Edited by red card

On 5/24/2024 at 4:21 PM, Stryker911 said:

If the offside rule change that is being talked about ends up happening having a fast CB is crucial. Would make Bombito even more valuable.

Just had to look up what you were referring too. I need the 100m dash standard to become a talking point for offside. I don't think the new proposal solves anything, but measuring by the player's torso's makes soo much more sense than toes or knees. I think I could handle a nit-picked offside call that was based on a players chest being a millimeter ahead of the other player's chest, but I can't when it's toes.

2 hours ago, One American said:

I wonder if Iceland will come with, eventually. 

Iceland would be a cool team in concacaf. Below the USA and Mexico, but right up there with Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Panama, and clear of Honduras, El Salvador, etc.  

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This thread, one post complaining about the millimetric offside rules immediately followed by another excited about matches in Nuuk and Iqualit.

It's going to be important when we fail to qualify for 2030 because we're a millimetre offside on a dark, stormy night in Nuuk. It's almost prophetic. 

They'd have to add the flight, but St. John's to Nuuk would be a sensilble alternative to Iqaluit. For just a little over double the distance, you get way more in terms of infrastructure as far as setting up a Canada camp is concerned (fields, hotels, george street, etc.): 

image.png.66d61ed6fb401b9d67933160fd0041e5.png

image.png.f453d18740ac8a6d5b0dd1f33cd234a6.png

The next 3 games are going to be a brutal test for our defenders/keepers. I don't envy them. It could get real ugly. The Netherlands, France & Argentina collectively possess the quality of forwards/attacking players that Canada or certainly this current group of defenders, have never faced before and that  includes the 3 games at the WC.  It's a tough introduction for Marsch or any new coach given the time frame/lack of prep time. It's a very different situation compared to the one that Herdman faced.  Let's hope the Netherlands & France don't go full throttle.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I couldn't disagree more. We need a test and we need to know how we stack up. Regardless of who is on the sideline 

Delighted that the CSA were able to arrange such high profile opponents and yes we do need to prep for Copa, but  with a new coach who has had no camps/ games/ prep time with this squad, an 80% Netherlands and a 70% France  would be a good enough test given the current situation. Incremental steps. Most of this squad faced Belgium, Croatia, Morocco and Japan. Getting blown out in the 2 games would not be a positive going into Copa. Hopefully we won't.