General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

With the timing. I instantly thought that this deal was only happening with some guarantees to the womens game...and sure enough, it is printed all over that press release.

Great news for the development of women in this sport.

19 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Who gets the money, the CSA or CSB?

The partnership is focused on womens initiatives. I would imagine a large sum of the cash goes to these programs, the CSB takes a cut and likely a bonus % to CSA. 

Some could argue that the CSA won't get anything but we have heard of bonus's that CSA get in the past from larger deals, now add in the fact that the way this deal is presented is to show good faith and gender equality (from the CSB to women) PLUS the CSB has repeatedly said that they are open to renegotiating the deal and I think its fairly probable the CSA gets a cut. 

20 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Who gets the money, the CSA or CSB?

I know nothing apart from what I've read, but it sounds like a good chunk of the deal is in kind services (including telecommunications, health and security purposes for the women during the WC, and other scenarios), a bunch of it is invested in the She Can coaching program, more has been invested to become a named partner for Voyageurs Cup, and some towards EqualPlayFC. Amongst others things I probably missed. I don't know where the total $ figure from Westhead came from, and I don't get why it's being made to be a CSA vs CSB dollars vs cents scenario. It doesn't sound like that kind of sponsorship agreement made, and neither did the one with CPL. I think these companies are more privy to the perception of how their money is being invested than they may have been before. That's why I'm surprised by the hook and blow from someone like Westhead

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

The partnership is focused on womens initiatives. I would imagine a large sum of the cash goes to these programs, the CSB takes a cut and likely a bonus % to CSA. 

Some could argue that the CSA won't get anything but we have heard of bonus's that CSA get in the past from larger deals, now add in the fact that the way this deal is presented is to show good faith and gender equality (from the CSB to women) PLUS the CSB has repeatedly said that they are open to renegotiating the deal and I think its fairly probable the CSA gets a cut. 

It’s great that since Jason DeVos has come on board, we are seeing the start of some positive action to improve our financial situation and image.  

Unfortunately, since the CSA has never been in the game of providing detailed financial statements, and for what we know, the CSB only has to give the CSA $3M per year, we must always be asking the question “where is the money actually going?”.  Thankfully, due to some public pressure from CM&WNT players and media spotlight on CSA/CSB, the CSB now SAY they are open to renegotiating the deal… but until negotiations begin, and an agreement is reached with comment from player representatives, we should continue to ask questions.

Let’s hope Telus is actively engaged in making sure its investments are being being spent as advertised.  And the breakdown from @Aird25 is encouraging (where did you get this information?).  I did chuckle about how they will make sure the CWNT players will be able to better connect with their families at home… as if cell phones, zoom and FaceTime were new technologies.

2 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

It’s great that since Jason DeVos has come on board, we are seeing the start of some positive action to improve our financial situation and image.  

Unfortunately, since the CSA has never been in the game of providing detailed financial statements, and for what we know, the CSB only has to give the CSA $3M per year, we must always be asking the question “where is the money actually going?”.  Thankfully, due to some public pressure from CM&WNT players and media spotlight on CSA/CSB, the CSB now SAY they are open to renegotiating the deal… but until negotiations begin, and an agreement is reached with comment from player representatives, we should continue to ask questions.

Let’s hope Telus is actively engaged in making sure its investments are being being spent as advertised.  And the breakdown from @Aird25 is encouraging (where did you get this information?).  I did chuckle about how they will make sure the CWNT players will be able to better connect with their families at home… as if cell phones, zoom and FaceTime were new technologies.

All great points. I just want to be careful to not duplicate our discussion on multople threads but I agree with everything youve said here. 

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm hoping Batyrev gets a call in the fall. Looks like he's been given the #8 shirt by Sochi so I figure he'll have a bigger role this season.

He’s an interesting one, if he starts In that league he likely deserves a call but is Canada willing to call someone playing out of Russia right now?

26 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

He’s an interesting one, if he starts In that league he likely deserves a call but is Canada willing to call someone playing out of Russia right now?

Said this about Richie Ennin, but he didn't even make a prelim roster.
So I don't think the RPL is rated highly by the coaching staff.

They cancelled a whole friendly with Iran because of how it would affect Canada’s Ukrainian community but we’re going to turn around and call in a Russian player based in Russia? Cmon.

That’s despite the fact that he has done absolutely nothing to deserve a call up. Russia at its peak was not a top league and they’ve taken quite the hit in talent since the war, so I can’t say that his performance, which he hasn’t performed, should even get him on our prelim roster, let alone an actual call up. 

I think Richie Ennin was relatively close when he played in Russia, if not for the war, but not sure why we’d call this guy in.