General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think that is a bit unfair to the new owners as since taking over they have bought back the ground returning to the club, started a major renovation to a derelict part of the ground and have massively increased the profile of club and the city. I think all of will be benefiting the club and community well beyond 2035, especially the investment in infrastructure. 

Like about 30 other modest clubs in England?

They'll probably need to look for other investors if they seriously want to make a run for EPL. You don't need to depend on gate anymore, true.

Anyways, I'm just emphasising the importance of building a narrative. And trying to argue Wrexham is a narrative that could turn the other way.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t know- I see Luton Town going from National League to Premier League in I think 11 years, and I can’t help but wonder why Wrexham can’t do the same. They clearly aren’t afraid to spend on the team, Reynolds has a lot of experience cashing big on his investments and he definitely knows how club value compounds for every promotion so if you were to tell me that by 2035, Wrexham is a yo-yo club between the premier and championship, I’d buy it. On the other hand, what you are describing isn’t all that different from AFC Wimbledon- sure the fans own them so the interest won’t dissipate, but they got promoted pretty much every season until they hit that League One wall, and now it looks like they’re probably going to bounce between League One and Two for the foreseeable future. A similar outcome for Wrexham isn’t out of the question either. 

Luton has at least been in the top tier before.

Wrexham has never been higher than the 2nd tier and that was only for a few years a long time ago.

The English pyramid is insane with 24 team divisions where only 3 teams promote. I could definitely see Wrexham getting stuck in a tier for a number of years and the novelty eventually wearing off.

Edited by narduch

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Luton has at least been in the top tier before.

Wrexham has never been higher than the 2nd tier and that was only for a few years a long time ago.

The English pyramid is insane with 24 team divisions where only 3 teams promote. I could definitely see Wrexham getting stuck in a tier for a number of years and the novelty eventually wearing off.

Yeah, but Luton was in the top tier what, 30 years ago? I don't see how that gives them an advantage over other clubs- they've only spent over a million pounds on like 3 players in their history, they're still run like a small club. Just because they were successful doesn't mean Wrexham will necessarily be, but now we have a pathway to what non league to premier league in a relatively short timeframe looks like.

Very possible for the novelty wearing off- the documentary, the international fanfare, all that, but the success itself feels sustainable. You have owners willing to spend far beyond the expectations for their league- if they don't spend a dime, which they definitely will, they'd still have one of the most expensive league two rosters next season I believe- you have a 150 year old baked in fan base, soccer is growing internationally in general, there are just a lot of factors that play in their favour. I think it's possible- likely even- for them to get stuck at a certain level for many years, but for an owner who's turned massive profits on Aviation Gin, Mint Mobile, I think he got in early with Fubo too, the potential value of a premier league club these days is too much to just get bored and sell the team and earn what he'd probably earn on the biggest box office bomb of his life.

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They'll probably need to look for other investors if they seriously want to make a run for EPL. You don't need to depend on gate anymore, true.

To be fair, they just got United as a shirt sponsor. TikTok before that- big money will find them if that's what they need.

English FA is now allowing up to 4 international players per Premier League & Championship clubs and two League 2 & 1, to be signed that don't meet the points requirement.

This change is largely because the UK is out of the EU, it limited recruiting European players. But this will also make it easier for MLS/CPL Canadians to transfer to the Championship, League 2 or 1.

https://theathletic.com/4610045/2023/06/14/fa-gbe-visas-overseas-players-transfers/

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Like about 30 other modest clubs in England?

Anyways, I'm just emphasising the importance of building a narrative. And trying to argue Wrexham is a narrative that could turn the other way.

It has nothing to do with being in the premier league. You had stated there would be no last impact, I felt it was unfair as regardless of what happens from here, they will be much better off  then before they were bought.  

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wrexham. Within 5 years they are quite likely to maybe promote another time, and maybe relegate in turn, or be immersed in a relegation battle; the owners will sour because they sheen has worn off, and then it'll turn out "badly".

The narrative arc is more likely to be the relationship ending not with a bang but with a whimper. 

No one seriously thinks this is a solid committment to a place and a people and a stadium and a historical club that will still be valid around 2030-35? There's not a longstanding fan who doesn't know this. Mostly Wrexham fans, with the current owners, are being nice.

Most predictable take ever 

21 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I mean, that’s fine. It’s more the insistance that any discussion of women’s sports has to come with the caveat that “they’re actually really terrible compared to men!!”. We get it. Enjoy the game for what it is, no need to shit on it to assert that someone else is better. 

It's not about sexism or men vs women, the same happens between leagues.  How many times have we read about La Liga vs EPL or Bundesliga on this site alone?  People will say some pretty harsh stuff regarding other leagues, and it's not racism or bias for a country.  It's just a product someone bought into and someone else did not.  Same goes for beer brands, music, etc...

It's difficult to watch every league or game, unless you're single and no kids.  So people focus on their league, brand or product and diss the other one, cause that's what humans in their natural habitat do.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's not about sexism or men vs women, the same happens between leagues.  How many times have we read about La Liga vs EPL or Bundesliga on this site alone?  People will say some pretty harsh stuff regarding other leagues, and it's not racism or bias for a country.  It's just a product someone bought into and someone else did not.  Same goes for beer brands, music, etc...

It's difficult to watch every league or game, unless you're single and no kids.  So people focus on their league, brand or product and diss the other one, cause that's what humans in their natural habitat do.

I think it's also annoying when someone can't comment on a particular league without talking about how it's worse than some other league, yes, but people seem to take the existence of women's sports... personally? The tweet that was shared in this thread was made by a right wing political commentator to score political points, not because she's a soccer fan that values the integrity of the game or whatever- "women are weaker than men" plays very well in some political circles, much more than "bundesliga is for farmers" does.

Also, no one is forced to watch every single soccer game and league in the world- I think it's too bad if someone can't appreciate the full spectrum of soccer, but if you like just one team and follow them, more power to you, it's just too bad if it comes at the expense of talking down about everything else. If you're a fan of the French national team, talk shit about your opponents, your rivals, brag about being the best team on earth, all of that, but if you say, make it this whole thing to talk shit about how terrible Canada is, or concacaf in general, it's like, we've never played each other, we have no rivalry, we don't affect you in the slightest, we're building our own thing over here, improving on our own terms, let us do our thing, it doesn't concern you.

On 6/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, SpursFlu said:

I like women's soccer just nowhere near as much as men's soccer. I dont feel like the devil satan but I am to them. I think that's how the old song goes.

Sometimes I think these topics are thrust upon us so everyone just throws their hands in the air and say to hell with all of it

Fixed, mostly just to let you know someone got the reference.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, red card said:

English FA is now allowing up to 4 international players per Premier League & Championship clubs and two League 2 & 1, to be signed that don't meet the points requirement.

If they restrict the Premier League to only 4 internationals, that would destroy the league - and completely devalue the existing teams.

I don't believe this for a minute. There'd have been an absolute uproar.

Edited by nfitz

13 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

It's up to 4 extra so they're adding not limiting.

There's already teams playing with 11 internationals on the pitch. What would they be adding?

I simply don't believe this for a minute - not in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

There's already teams playing with 11 internationals on the pitch. What would they be adding?

I simply don't believe this for a minute - not in the Premier League.

I haven't read the news, but red card mentioned it's for players that "don't meet the point requirement". That sounds like the points system that they have used for determining if an international is worthy of joining the league. You get points for playing for your national team, depending on the national team's ranking, for instance. So you can sign more players that don't meet the criteria. I don't know the other criteria, but I remember always being told it's harder for Canadian's to get signed in the EPL because our FIFA ranking was historically well below top 50.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't read the news, but red card mentioned it's for players that "don't meet the point requirement". That sounds like the points system that they have used for determining if an international is worthy of joining the league. You get points for playing for your national team, depending on the national team's ranking, for instance. So you can sign more players that don't meet the criteria. I don't know the other criteria, but I remember always being told it's harder for Canadian's to get signed in the EPL because our FIFA ranking was historically well below top 50.

Thanks - that makes more sense. I was going in the wrong direction! Nothing to do with international spots that each team has ... it's about the eligibility of foreign players to get work permits.

That could do the opposite - and make the league stronger. I assume Brexit now makes it more difficult for many Europeans to UK.

English FA has also moved up MLS to Band 3 in their points system. So, a bit more easier for Canadian MLS players to move over.

Most won't be able to move over just based on % of club minutes played. Points are added if your team wins MLS Cup and strangely Conference title but not Supporter's Shield. More points added if you're in Concacaf Champions Cup. And it obviously helps if you get national team minutes. Exceptions are made for a Youth Player who shows significant potential and is of sufficient quality to enhance the development of the game in England.

Great to see. They are sure pushing hard and seem very ambitious with League 1 Atlantic, League 1 Praries, and even League 1 Alberta.

Once the Alberta league comes to fruition, I think the other two will feel more real, because right now all 3 (Alberta included) are propositions, not reality. League 1 Atlantic and Praries seem way more speculative, way more logistically difficult - but I love the ambition. It's just hard to see them launch in 2025 right now until Alberta is a done deal. 

On 6/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, MauditYvon said:

I just got aware that we play nations league in 2024 and 2025. Gold Cup in 2023 and 2025. Copa America in 2024. World Cup in 2026.

3 NL, 2 GC, 2 WC and 1 Copa America in 1300 days.

They're going to have the Nations League Final and the Gold Cup in the same summer again?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Metro said:

They're going to have the Nations League Final and the Gold Cup in the same summer again?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

At least it's good to have a lot to play for?

So far we are at:

2022 WC - GS

2023 NL - runner up

2023 GC - ?

I would be happy with a QF appearance at the Copa, a round of 32 apperance at WC 26 (Rof16 is my wish, though). Then I want to see us win at least one trophy, then take it from there. I don't think it will be GC 23, but I won't completely give up hope til the first ball is kicked and I see how they look. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

At least it's good to have a lot to play for?

So far we are at:

2022 WC - GS

2023 NL - runner up

2023 GC - ?

I would be happy with a QF appearance at the Copa, a round of 32 apperance at WC 26 (Rof16 is my wish, though). Then I want to see us win at least one trophy, then take it from there. I don't think it will be GC 23, but I won't completely give up hope til the first ball is kicked and I see how they look. 

True, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Gold Cup now becomes a B tournament for the nations that qualify for the Nations League "Final Four".