General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Gutted Farsi is not on there. Didn't expect Abzi to be or Sigur. To use the cliche bingo card "I bet the CSA doesn't even know about him". 

Also fair to say its not long after the Nations league there could be places for people like Jebbison, Farsi etc in the Gold Cup. 

Edited by toontownman

If you check Abzi’s twitter (it’s social media so whatever) all his likes are Morocco NT related. He’s not a lock for them by any means, but Morocco cycles their squad heavily and they call in guys from some smaller leagues, so that window is very much open to him.

Farsi… I don’t get if it’s really an Algeria thing. We have a better team, we’ve made a more recent World Cup, we’re hosting the next one, he’s played his career in North America, you would think all these factors would sway him towards us.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If you check Abzi’s twitter (it’s social media so whatever) all his likes are Morocco NT related. He’s not a lock for them by any means, but Morocco cycles their squad heavily and they call in guys from some smaller leagues, so that window is very much open to him.

Farsi… I don’t get if it’s really an Algeria thing. We have a better team, we’ve made a more recent World Cup, we’re hosting the next one, he’s played his career in North America, you would think all these factors would sway him towards us.

But is it better to play for a country that you might be able to get a look in versus one where you’d have little chance of playing for?  That might be Farsi.

Just now, JamboAl said:

But is it better to play for a country that you might be able to get a look in versus one where you’d have little chance of playing for?  That might be Farsi.

I don’t know what Algeria’s depth chart looks like, but quick glance looks like most of their players play in strong European leagues, so I don’t think he necessarily has an easier path with them if that’s the reason. 

Weren't both of these guys alternates to the U23 olympic squad? I recall Abzi was for sure. Perhaps he/they have chips on their shoulders for that reason. Either way, it's disappointing for sure. Those two were top of my list for new names.

Also while I am here, 3 complaints/observations:

1. Henry? With all due respect, dude hasn't been fit all season. I hope this is just symbolic.

2. Am I blind or is Priso missing? If we have 7 unused spots why not list him? Surely he's not that far away is he? Recall he is a dual national (Cameroon).

3. Spoony was named and I am not sure whether he realistically has a place. Shouldn't we be looking to the future on that one (i.e. Priso for Spoony)?

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I don't think "leaning" towards another team would discourage callups in a 53 man roster if Herdman thinks the player is good enough / necessary. Let's not forget that Flores and Jebbison were on the 2021 Gold Cup prelim roster.

This is so true. Its a matter of Herdman not wanting them as they arent good enough/fit the team or they have other commitments. Farsi would never see the field so maybe herdman suggested to keep focusing on columbus. 

Just now, Bigandy said:

This is so true. Its a matter of Herdman not wanting them as they arent good enough/fit the team or they have other commitments. Farsi would never see the field so maybe herdman suggested to keep focusing on columbus. 

I am sorry but this is asinine. Not good enough? I don't know how Herdman could think that considering the other names and Farsi's body of work. Ditto Abzi.

Maybe they are listed at the bottom? Looks like the second picture is cut off, but maybe I am being just being overly hopeful and seeing things...

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe they are listed at the bottom? Looks like the second picture is cut off, but maybe I am being just being overly hopeful and seeing things...

Definitely being hopeful lol.
I've seen other lists in the past, and when a team hasn't used their entire allotment it looks like that. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am sorry but this is asinine. Not good enough? I don't know how Herdman could think that considering the other names and Farsi's body of work. Ditto Abzi.

How is that asinine? If herdman didnt call him up, then he doesnt think he is good enough, he doesnt fit the team, or hes got other commitments. I gave 3 options as to why he wouldnt be called up. To single out one option and call it asinine, while ignoring 2 other answers is a poor understanding of what I said. Can you name a 4th reason? 

Lets be real though. Farsi is not starting at wingback ahead of laryea, buchanan or johnston. Hes not starting at RB ahead of johnston or laryea either. 

Exact same logic can be applied to abzi. 

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

If they had a few extra spots why wouldn't they just throw some top CPL guys on the list? At the very least it gives the commentators something to mention in the broadcast this week and overall helps the leagues image.

Maybe in theory to show those who were asked but declined that there is a place for them? That is a reach tho so not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

If they had a few extra spots why wouldn't they just throw some top CPL guys on the list? At the very least it gives the commentators something to mention in the broadcast this week and overall helps the leagues image.

I think its more to set a standard. Dont call up guys unless they deserve it. Calling up any CPL players would be to boost the league but not based on merit. I dont want the CPL getting handouts from our national team. What message would it send to a guy like Colyn if a CPL player gets a call over him just because they play CPL. Would he be enticed to leave europe to play CPL to get a look at the CMNT? Probably not but maybe? Handouts to the CPL would lower the incentive to go try your luck in other leagues. 

9 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think its more to set a standard. Dont call up guys unless they deserve it. Calling up any CPL players would be to boost the league but not based on merit. I dont want the CPL getting handouts from our national team. What message would it send to a guy like Colyn if a CPL player gets a call over him just because they play CPL. Would he be enticed to leave europe to play CPL to get a look at the CMNT? Probably not but maybe? Handouts to the CPL would lower the incentive to go try your luck in other leagues. 

He did include Henry and Ayo though. Henry has been a great servant to the program but he isn’t playing. He was that one recent Minnesota United 2 appearance 2 weeks ago. 

Aylmer is playing but he is so far away from any type of decent form. 

Guess it’s easier including them because of experience they have. But it’s not based on form or merit. 

29 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Lets be real though. Farsi is not starting at wingback ahead of laryea, buchanan or johnston. Hes not starting at RB ahead of johnston or laryea either. 

This is exactly it though.  Farsi is competing with Johnston, Laryea, Zator, Buchanan, and Hoilett.  On the left side, Abzi is competing with Davies, Adekugbe, Edwards, Raposo, and Millar.  We're talking about sixth on the depth chart.

Sure, you run the risk of having them go all Mitrovic on you and pouting, but again, we're talking about guys that are pretty far down the pecking order.

The Canadian team isn't as easy to crack as it once was.  I like Farsi alot and if he didn't have guys like Johnston and Laryea ahead of him, he'd definitely have a place.  But he's going to have to raise his game a bit to be seriously considered for time.

38 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Being 7 short is concerning, especially when you can be on multiple lists at once. 

The Mexican list has only 40.

At a certain point these start to lose their utility. 

There were probably only 25-30 guys Herdman was going to seriously call anyways 

The rest is just banter for us nerds

Edited by narduch