General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Indian immigration patterns to Canada don't match up with where footy is popular in India. Most fervent are in south India which only started to come in numbers to Canada more recently.

And like many Canadians, their first love isn't their own national team. Because of the World Cup & maybe because of the calls that they're fake fans paid by Qatar, there has been quite a few articles in the Western press about the support for Brazil & Argentina in south India & Bangladesh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/08/sports/world-cup/india-brazil-argentina-fans.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://theathletic.com/3967181/2022/12/07/bangladesh-argentina-world-cup/

Edited by red card

Silly offseason is here!

Scheduling friendlies based on immigration numbers seems silly...no? 
Why do we want to schedule home games with the idea that the visiting team would have potentially more support? 

But if we're playing this game....I pick the Philippines National team. They support anything, and anyone that is Pinoy, and there is a lot of them all around Canada nicely intertwined with Canadian culture.😁

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My Filipino friends in high school (in another prairie enclave) were mad into basketball.  Surely they would see the light.

They still are basketball crazy. And the average height of a man there is 5’4, I tell my in-laws that their people love the wrong sport. Try soccer.

When I was there in August everyone thought I was an NBA player to the extent I just went with it lol. They were trying to organize a game with the towns best player. little did they know I’m shit, and they weren’t going to know it🤣

Sort of random but it looks like that rash of world Cup wikipedia photo updates that a lot of teams get didn't happen to us. A bunch still got their blurry-ass photos. Poor Kamal Miller. Or nothing at all of for most.

And props to the CSA for keeping all their nice pics hidden forever on Flickr.

Edited by VinceA

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

At this moment we don’t need to lower our standards to pack the stands. India and Philippines would be like playing Belize and Nicaragua. We can’t waste windows.

We just played Qatar and Bahrain as friendly opponents. India is below them, but it isn't like we can afford to only play top quality squads now.

As for "do Indians like soccer enough"- to that I say that there is likely 30,000 people in most of our major cities willing to make an afternoon out of watching India play Canada. As for "they're not a good team"- fair, but this would be far from the first time soccer matches have been scheduled for diplomacy/cultural reasons.

They're a little better than india, but if China requested a friendly at BC Place, we would 100% take it.

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

A Canada/Morocco rematch I would actually love to see that because it would be like an away game for Canada in either city because Montréal has a large Moroccan contingent and so does Toronto for that matter 

Put Taylor Swift prices on those tickets, then.

Advice needed please- live in GTA area and looking for a place to have a Canada flag embroidered with the city where I live. While in Doha saw some Canada flags with Edmonton or Montreal in black font but could not get to them to ask where they had the work done. 

Lots of fans from other countries had the same overlay on their flags. city or town overlayed on the flag

Thanks all

After watching the England vs France game today, it's nice when you have players like Sterling and Rashford waiting on the bench. This is the depth of talent we need one day, if we are ever to contend for the World Cup, or make it deep into the playoffs.  Granted, Morocco doesn't have the same level of talent as the other semi-finalists, but runs like Morocco with the talent they have (and Greece when they won the Euros) are pretty rare.

I think Canada will get there one day, hopefully the MLS keeps on improving and we benefit from that.

Edited by football_world

4 hours ago, football_world said:

After watching the England vs France game today, it's nice when you have players like Sterling and Rashford waiting on the bench. This is the depth of talent we need one day, if we are ever to contend for the World Cup, or make it deep into the playoffs.  Granted, Morocco doesn't have the same level of talent as the other semi-finalists, but runs like Morocco with the talent they have (and Greece when they won the Euros) are pretty rare.

I think Canada will get there one day, hopefully the MLS keeps on improving and we benefit from that.

Canada going on a deep run in 2026 I mean if we play like Morocco and adopt that style of play could we go on said deep run? Sure we could but will Canada adapt? That is the question